Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Is he really that soft? Saw his highlights package from last year and he seemed to take some decent contested grabs.
Started soft, then actually became a really good pack crasher last year but lost the ability to read the game and get easy kicks. I think he's a CHB. Plays alot like Darcy Moore.

The issue for Collingwood would be cap space. If I'm Weideman and his manager, I'm taking the best contract offer, because it could be his last. Some club may pay him based on perceived potential.
Lol at this point in his career he’s taking whatever is on offer, which won’t be much. As it stands he’s more likely to be delisted than have another club come knocking with any sort of significant payday.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
He had some decent games at VFL level playing in the ruck, but just like his decent and even dominant VFL games forward I can’t see him duplicating it at AFL level. He can physically overpower smaller VFL defenders, and is too athletic for some lumbering VFL rucks, but he just won’t match up against those types at AFL level.

As a couple of others have said, if someone else wants him he will get there for almost nothing trade wise.

Given the age of Majak Daw and Mitch Brown, if Weideman wants to stay I think he will be retained as a forward/ruck depth player. Seeing how he goes as a back man isn’t the worst idea, he certainly isn’t afraid of being physical and goes hard at the ball in the air.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seeing how he goes as a back man isn’t the worst idea, he certainly isn’t afraid of being physical and goes hard at the ball in the air.

Whaaaat??

You’d struggle to come up with a listed AFL player over 195cm who is more afraid of being physical and going hard in the air than Weideman. He is totally lacking in these key areas.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Whaaaat??

You’d struggle to come up with a listed AFL player over 195cm who is more afraid of being physical and going hard in the air than Weideman. He is totally lacking in these key areas.

I’ve seen him go hard at balls in the air and into packs trying to mark it plenty of times. He doesn’t mark it that often, but that’s a differe

61 contested marks and 67 tackles in 49 games. Not that impressive, but not what you’d find from someone scared of contact.

He goes long patches of games where he doesn’t even get to contests and therefore he doesn’t impact the game. That’s different to being weak when he’s in one.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Geelong would ask the question. He's young enough and talented enough to have plenty to offer if it clicks. There's probably more opportunity down back at Geelong to start but there should be positions opening up over the next couple of years if he's good enough.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Stamina? Speed? Focus?

I don’t think it’s speed as he’s a decent athlete, and while he’s had some injury worries that would impact fitness base I don’t think it’s stamina either.

I suspect it’s focus or footy IQ based - he just doesn’t seem to be in the right place at the right time often enough, or perhaps better articulated as being in a place that makes no difference too often.

The other thing that suggests mental is he has VFL games where his set shot kicking is gun barrel straight. Cannot miss. And then he gets to AFL level and while he’s kicked some tricky set shot goals, he’s had a couple of high pressure kicks to go ahead late in the game and missed very badly.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
I don’t think it’s speed as he’s a decent athlete, and while he’s had some injury worries that would impact fitness base I don’t think it’s stamina either.

I suspect it’s focus or footy IQ based - he just doesn’t seem to be in the right place at the right time often enough, or perhaps better articulated as being in a place that makes no difference too often.

The other thing that suggests mental is he has VFL games where his set shot kicking is gun barrel straight. Cannot miss. And then he gets to AFL level and while he’s kicked some tricky set shot goals, he’s had a couple of high pressure kicks to go ahead late in the game and missed very badly.
Cheers. What are your thoughts on him as a defender?

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t think Weideman is soft. Certainly puts his body in the line in crashing packs. Just needs to hold the marks.
theres a difference between being soft, and just being physically unable to take contact well, which makes you drop marks, get tackled etc. i feel like weideman is the latter.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

The no suitors for Weideman according to this article is interesting. Would have thought Collingwood would have had a crack, but perhaps a lack of trade capital is the reason.

Seems like he will stay at The Dees (he is too valuable to be delisyed IMHO)

The no suitors for Weideman according to this article is interesting. Would have thought Collingwood would have had a crack, but perhaps a lack of trade capital is the reason.

Seems like he will stay at The Dees (he is too valuable to be delisyed IMHO)

Also looking like Kruger joining us in Trade Period the Need for Weideman is not as much anymore

Back