Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Weideman averages 7 games a year and 1 goal a game in his sixth year of AFL footy isn't great. Compare that to mason cox who averages 15 game's a year and 1.2 goals a game in about the same amount of years on an afl list. If ben brown whos averaged 60 goals for 3 seasons in a row got traded for pick 26 then Sam probably worth pick 39-43 to be honest as an import mason cox stats are the same if not better on this link. But teams do over pay. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=4040&fid2=C&type=A
You are comparing stats of a guy that just turned 23 to a 30 year old and a 27 year old.

And Melbourne won't be pushing Weideman out the door like North did to Brown and automatically dropped his value.

North waited until Brown was at his lowest value after missing footy and battling with injuries before the trade. If that was done just after a 60 goal season he's a very high first rounder.

Pick 39-43 is laughable.

A High draft pick who also played footy as a kid compared to an import forward who played footy with 2 detached retinas whos body of work is still better which are facts. probably stop with the injury excuses as its luck of the draw because sam has been injured so i guess his value has dropped to then. Sam ain't worth a first rounder based on body of work as he hasn't proven himself yet.
So do you think because Cox was an import he's likely to show improvement at 30?

I'd say that Cox has played his very best footy whilst Weidemans is still ahead of him, so comparing career stats whether they are an import or not makes no sense.

Weideman still 23, Brown 29 and McDonald 28. Weideman should be higher priority to keep as he fits the age profile of Melbourne’s core group around Petracca, Oliver ect..

would prefer trading one of the older 2 for nothing than trade Weideman for a higher pick but the other 2 are contracted. Melbourne would immediately have to look at drafting a young key forward or 2 to develop in time for when Brown and TMac significantly slow down
Melbourne would not have expected to be in this position. last year they could not score & would have felt they needed Ben Brown.

Right now they are in a awkward spot because they are paying Brown decent money & would not have got him over to play VFL.

Weideman although in better form probably should have got the nod first. I can see why they picked Brown the more experienced proven player at the level.

But you risk losing Weideman at the end of the year he is a player needs to be playing now crucial time in his career being 23 & far too good for VFL.

Melbourne would not have expected to be in this position. last year they could not score & would have felt they needed Ben Brown.

Right now they are in a awkward spot because they are paying Brown decent money & would not have got him over to play VFL.

Weideman although in better form probably should have got the nod first. I can see why they picked Brown the more experienced proven player at the level.

But you risk losing Weideman at the end of the year he is a player needs to be playing now crucial time in his career being 23 & far too good for VFL.
It’s McDonald that is the “issue” filled in forward and now he is just playing to well again. Plan was always to be a Brown and Weideman set up then they BOTH get injured.. will be interesting how it plays out, he is only an injury away from taking the spot back and has 4-5 months to do it.

You are comparing stats of a guy that just turned 23 to a 30 year old and a 27 year old.

And Melbourne won't be pushing Weideman out the door like North did to Brown and automatically dropped his value.

North waited until Brown was at his lowest value after missing footy and battling with injuries before the trade. If that was done just after a 60 goal season he's a very high first rounder.

Pick 39-43 is laughable.

If by pushing him out you mean we offered him 150k more a season than he ended up going to Melbourne for, sure, we pushed him out.

If by pushing him out you mean we offered him 150k more a season than he ended up going to Melbourne for, sure, we pushed him out.

Didn't some of the North players have a fallen out with Ben and his Missus (for reasons I have no idea about) ?

Didn't some of the North players have a fallen out with Ben and his Missus (for reasons I have no idea about) ?

No Ramanauskas was a mug.

Was playing hard ball for 5 years, the club had 3.

His form turned to complete s**t and he injured his knee.

They then wanted to sign the 3 x 750 and we pulled it.

Ended up signing on for Melbourne for much less than he had on the table for over 5 months.

Sam Weideman averages 7 games a year and 1 goal a game in his sixth year of AFL footy isn't great. Compare that to mason cox who averages 15 game's a year and 1.2 goals a game in about the same amount of years on an afl list. If ben brown whos averaged 60 goals for 3 seasons in a row got traded for pick 26 then Sam probably worth pick 39-43 to be honest as an import mason cox stats are the same if not better on this link. But teams do over pay. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...layerStatus2=A&tid2=5&pid2=4040&fid2=C&type=A
Cox and Weideman aren't comparable, many youngsters coming through will take time, especially tall forwards. If you look at his draft class, which included many talls, most haven't shown much more than him, and a few (e.g. Francis, B. Mckay) are only coming on this year. Before this year Harry McKay only had one year averaging more than 1.1 goals a game, which is pretty much the same as Weideman (who averaged 1.5 last year, same as McKay in 2019 and 1.0 other years). He's doing well in the VFL but can't get into the AFL for a team who is undefeated and with many tall forwards playing well.

But fundamentally, we're discussing a difference of opinion.

I think he's worth a high R2 to high R1 swap (given Collingwood's circumstances), you obviously don't. I don't think EFC should be spending any more trade resources on a tall, yet would jump at him if it only cost an R2. You obviously disagree.

Fundamentally, I rate him higher than you do so that's going to feed into a difference in valuation.

No Ramanauskas was a mug.

Was playing hard ball for 5 years, the club had 3.

His form turned to complete sh*t and he injured his knee.

They then wanted to sign the 3 x 750 and we pulled it.

Ended up signing on for Melbourne for much less than he had on the table for over 5 months.
Yes Rama ****ed it for him but North still pulled the contract and told him to look for a trade.

The manager might have played hard ball but call a spade a spade, North took their offer off the table completely in the end which is pushing him out the door

I don’t know Weideman is in significantly better form. Weideman has kicked more goals but the production difference is marginal.

The two games they both played:

Weideman 22 kicks 15 marks 8 handballs 10 goals 3 behinds

Brown 23 kicks 11 marks 7 handballs 7 goals 3 behinds

Weideman also had a stinker in the last VFL practice match, and Brown played well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit different Jamarra Ugle-Hagan just got picked in the draft, Weideman is 6 years in the system.
Do you bother noticing that people are telling you he is coming back from injury?

He missed 12 weeks and has played 3 games in the twos. He isn't rooting in the 2s

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back