Recommitted Sam Weideman [re-signed for 2 more years]

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you bother noticing that people are telling you he is coming back from injury?

He missed 12 weeks and has played 3 games in the twos. He isn't rooting in the 2s

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
So was Brown he is clearly behind a few in the coaches eyes.

Weideman + second for Jordan De Goey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible but I am biased and I don't think De Goey is worth much at all to a decent side.

Lots of factors here which would affect valuations on either side:

How does Weiderman go assume he plays most of the year for Melbourne.
How do Melbourne go this year, do they play finals and do well?
How does De Goey go for the rest of the year?
How does De Goey's court case pan out?
How bad does the mess at Collingwood get?
Do Collingwood find a workable forward set up?

Possible but I am biased and I don't think De Goey is worth much at all to a decent side.

Lots of factors here which would affect valuations on either side:

How does Weiderman go assume he plays most of the year for Melbourne.
How do Melbourne go this year, do they play finals and do well?
How does De Goey go for the rest of the year?
How does De Goey's court case pan out?
How bad does the mess at Collingwood get?
Do Collingwood find a workable forward set up?
If he plays all year he's not going to want to leave. This speculation has all been on the basis that he feels he needs to move for opportunities.

He's a gun but if he doesn't play much this year he's probably only worth a pick 15-25

We don't need a newer version of Colin Sylvia

WHAT!!!
Why would Melbourne trade a promising KPF and a second rounder for De Goey?
They already have his type of player in Petracca, only x100 better..

De Goey is an over rated, over paid, lazy player..
That even North wouldn't pay his price

Do you have concussion Yoda, or just taking the piss?

Weid has form in the twos but has shown very little to date at senior level. 46 goals in 44 games, even for a young key forward, is mediocre at best. I’m not that fussed if he goes if we can extract a decent pick for him or a starting 18 quality player. I don’t see Harry McKay level ability of stardom in Sam. Adequate second or third key forward maybe, but retain our not the main man.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the link is obvious .... would cost you a player of worth imo if its a trade. Could you get him in the PSD?

Never thought I'd see the day where Collingwood could threaten Melbourne with the PSD.

Don't think he'll be going anywhere though. I think they'll drop TMac the minute he's out of form and/or contract, and the Weid will never look back.

I wouldn't have a clue where his trade value sits at this stage... future first for Weid, 31 and 40...? If the future first was pick 5 for example that's valuing him as pick 23 🤷 and more Daicos points for us.

Last edited:
Based on 2021 form , Who does De Goey replace in the melbourne line up ?

If he keeps this form up he will be lucky to get $600k a year
De Goey would replace plenty in the Melbourne lineup. He's never going to be a superstar but he can be incredibly valuable to a contender and a role where he isn't required to do any heavy lifting (see Collingwood 2018). The guy is spudding it up but he's clearly a little fragile and plays in an extremely poor team.

From watching him last year and in his debut for you I reckon you have wasted your money on Brown. No great loss though, Melbourne are fine without him.
Meh he was injured an playing in a putrid team last year. Jeremy Cameron was equally as s**t last year, but wasn't injured and was playing in a much better team. Have you written him off too?

Meh he was injured an playing in a putrid team last year. Jeremy Cameron was equally as sh*t last year, but wasn't injured and was playing in a much better team. Have you written him off too?

There is a visible lack of intensity. Maybe he proves me wrong, we will see.

This has nothing to do with Jeremy Cameron by the way.

There is a visible lack of intensity. Maybe he proves me wrong, we will see.

This has nothing to do with Jeremy Cameron by the way.
The Jeremy Cameron comparison is because of their similar outputs over the last 5 years. Both were really good 16-19 with terrible 2020's for various reasons. Yet Cameron was given a mulligan last year as he struggled in the hub yet Brown wasn't despite being injured and playing FF in a barely AFL standard team

He has played one game of AFL this year after coming back from injury, * people are quick to write off players

The Jeremy Cameron comparison is because of their similar outputs over the last 5 years. Both were really good 16-19 with terrible 2020's for various reasons. Yet Cameron was given a mulligan last year as he struggled in the hub yet Brown wasn't despite being injured and playing FF in a barely AFL standard team

He has played one game of AFL this year after coming back from injury, fu** people are quick to write off players

Yes that is true, I have written him off. I guess we will see who is right in time 👍

Why would Melbourne get rid of Weideman? They backed him over Hogan when they let Hogan go back to Western Australia. I think it would take a lot to get Sam out of Melbourne.

Why would Melbourne get rid of Weideman? They backed him over Hogan when they let Hogan go back to Western Australia. I think it would take a lot to get Sam out of Melbourne.

Because we now have too many key forwards and could potentially parlay his value into something which strengthens an area of weakness in the starting eighteen. A mid sized forward (DeGoey) or an outside midfielder (J.Kelly) perhaps.

Four key forwards into two or three spots don’t go.

Because we now have too many key forwards and could potentially parlay his value into something which strengthens an area of weakness in the starting eighteen. A mid sized forward (DeGoey) or an outside midfielder (J.Kelly) perhaps.

Four key forwards into two or three spots don’t go.

Why not get rid of Tom McDonald who is 28 years old and has flaky form. Weideman is only 23 and has bigger upside than McDonald. You wouldn't see Richmond or Hawthorn trade out a young forward who they put time and energy into.

I would say that Melbourne are on the cusp of possibly doing something special but to get rid of a talented young forward who you invested in will be a terrible idea and would set you back.

Why not get rid of Tom McDonald who is 28 years old and has flaky form. Weideman is only 23 and has bigger upside than McDonald. You wouldn't see Richmond or Hawthorn trade out a young forward who they put time and energy into.

I would say that Melbourne are on the cusp of possibly doing something special but to get rid of a talented young forward who you invested in will be a terrible idea and would set you back.

Tom McDonald’s form is a good part of the reason we’re undefeated on 7-0. He’s been fantastic this season so far and 28yo isn’t old. He kicked 70+ in 2018. He’s a known quantity.

People are overrating Weideman based on kicking a few goals at VFL level. In the ones he’s kicked a very underwhelming 46 goals in 44 games.

I would rather invest money in locking down Luke Jackson long term. Now there’s a kid with genuine star potential.

Weideman? Meh. Not every young key forward makes it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back