Past Samantha Virgo (2016-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

e8cf7098ca82bd2a2aefb9fc25576e20.png

Sam Virgo plays as a small defender for Yeronga and was equal winner in the 2016 QWAFL Best & Fairest. During the Lions v Melbourne exhibition match at the MCG, Virgo was our biggest possession winner. This year, Virgo has worked really hard on her game and has developed great hands, a good kick and is much more athletic. Virgo can tuck the ball under her wing and run the ball out of the half back line or can play as a rebounder. On top of this, Virgo will bring a lot to the group with her leadership and style of play.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-05-25/three-more-aflw-stars-resign

The Brisbane Lions have secured Kate McCarthy, Sam Virgo and Nicole Hildebrand for AFLW 2018.
Virgo, recruited from Yeronga in the QWAFL, was also selected in the AFL Women’s All Australian team at the AFLW Awards in March.

The 30-year-old, consistently one of the Lions’ best, was nominated by her peers as a ‘Values Leader’ in the Lions’ inaugural Leadership Group.

She received the ‘All for One’ award at the Lions’ AFL Women’s Best and Fairest awards for best representing the Club’s core values.

“Sam is a terrific leader on and off the field.” said Brock.

“It’s fantastic that she has re-signed with the Club.”

If she has signed with the club does that mean they will cover her rehab? I hope so.

She is pretty funny, she did a training session with jnr footy club girls this year. She was good with the kids.

If she has signed with the club does that mean they will cover her rehab? I hope so.

She is pretty funny, she did a training session with jnr footy club girls this year. She was good with the kids.

She has coaching ambitions, so I would expect they'll keep her around to observe and help out as much as possible.

Huge loss, though, particularly for her voice organising our defence and midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back