Analysis Same Structures vs Radical Change?

Slots and structures for 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are definitely doing something different though. Not nearly as much run and gun this year so far.
Also as a result there is much less kicking it to opposition defenders. More possession and chip footy at half back.
I think we're trying different styles in the early rounds. Also perhaps due to different midfield players right now with different running capabilities.

Comparing the GF team and the recent 3rd round team, I think we now have a fair idea who our regular best 22 are. 3 injured players in Smith and Crouch bros are definitely in the best 22. McGovern is the player that missed out in the GF due to injury and he is in our best 22. Gibbs is the new in from the GF team. Which leaves us with essentially 1-2 spots (2 spots available if Smith fails to recuperate in time) to fill for the rest of the year, with players fighting for the remaining spots:
- Otten
- Cheney
- Keath
- Doedee
- Fog
- Milera
- Knight
- CEY
- Hampton
- Gooch
- Polhoke
- Murphy
- Gibson

I agree we're limited with some players, but really, at this point we're missing smith, and our 2 big engine room cogs. The rest is noise.
So, we're not winning it as much in the middle and we're trapped at half back.

When that happened last year, we went: HOLD MY BEER and ran and kicked long and turned it over to a set up defence. So, the gameplan of swamping contests and setting up a kick behind the ball would slaughter us. So far this year, swamping contests and us losing it in the middle has sucked a bit, but when we regain it at half back we're not turning it over as readily.

We also sensed a moment in the 2nd half of Q3 vs the saints and torched them with the run and gun. Imagine if we can play tempo as required and then put on 30 points in 10 minutes while we're up. I'd love it.

Realistically 3 games in is no trend to draw on though. :(

Interesting stat since Smiths absence:

Kelly, Brown and Doedee all averaging just above 20 possessions. Brown with 5 rebounds, he’s certainly ranked up his offensive game as well as doing a good job defensively.

Looking forward to see how CEY pulls up from Etihad , same for Greenwood ... both may be hoping for some rain .
Hope we manage and build both of their seasons as well and if that means having a rest after 4-5 games then we should stagger it .
Give Gallucci a run , he brings that desperation and has that chase and tackle we need .

Back