Sampi

Remove this Banner Ad

hoss

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2004
South
AFL Club
Fremantle
Really admire this guy. Has taken his game up a few notches I reckon.

Every time I see the Eagles on TV, I see this black flash on the screen, chasing, tackling, smothering. His defensive skills have been a highlight to watch.

Yeah but I think his defensive work is about the only thing keeping him in the team at the moment. He needs to kick more goals. He missed a shocker yesterday.

hoss said:

Every time I see the Eagles on TV, I see this black flash on the screen, chasing, tackling, smothering. His defensive skills have been a highlight to watch.
He was our in form player during pre-season but hasn't really fired yet during the season proper.
He chasing and tackling is a part of his game where he has improved lots since he first started playing, and partly the reason why he has managed to hold down a regular place in the team.

He's played a few gems this year- I think his effort against Sydney last week was very close to our best afield.

He really needs to get his kicking boots on though- don't understand how a guy who was pretty much our most accurate kick last year has started missing everything.

Mead said:
He's played a few gems this year- I think his effort against Sydney last week was very close to our best afield.

He really needs to get his kicking boots on though- don't understand how a guy who was pretty much our most accurate kick last year has started missing everything.

Watching the game with my 8yo and pointing out to him Sampi (and Kerr's) second and third efforts. Excellent example for kids of how to attack the ball in heavy traffic and not give up even when the opposition looks to have it covered.

Watch out for Sampi this week. With little Phil Matera missing (he pretty much has been all year anyway) all the crumbing duties will be left to Samp's. I reckon he will cause a lot of headaches for the Saints defence and might bob up for 4 or 5 goals. Lynch not getting rubbed out is a bit lucky but we'll take it. But yeah SAMPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ooohh SAMPIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"That is a contender Brian!"
"What a day of marking we have seen today!"

hoss said:

<shrill voice>

RACIST! RACIST!! RACIST!!!!!

</shrill voice>

;)

Yep, Samps has really taken the rest of his game to another level this year but as coasting said, we need more goals from him. He's kicked a poor 8.14 this year, his kicking has let him down and he's third in the league for behinds. The snaps that would usually stick aren't going through (somewhat forgivable) but his set shots, once so reliable, have been amoungst the worst in the team. 22 scoring shots from 7 games with a best return of 2 isn't good enough from a guy who spends most of his time up forward - and has been in quite good form, kicking excepted.

This weekend, with Fido likely to miss, we need a strong game from Sampi and we need his radar on - he's capable of doing it so here's hoping he can kick 4-5.

Again I'll stress his tackling, attack on the ball etc have been really excellent but the kicking has soured his season so far in my book.

Cuzz09 said:
Watch out for Sampi this week. With little Phil Matera missing (he pretty much has been all year anyway) all the crumbing duties will be left to Samp's. I reckon he will cause a lot of headaches for the Saints defence and might bob up for 4 or 5 goals. Lynch not getting rubbed out is a bit lucky but we'll take it. But yeah SAMPI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ooohh SAMPIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"That is a contender Brian!"
"What a day of marking we have seen today!"

Shouldn't you be making a thread writing the Eagles off already for next week?

Black JuJu said:
Surely he didn't?

Yep, on On the Couch, said Sampi is the only lazy Eagle that played on Sunday. He insinuated he didn't bother following Campbell Brown who was his opponent and Campbell Brown was allowed to get disposals at will.

There is a difference between being accountable and forward line pressure... I think that was the point Walls was trying to make.

I think lazy is the wrong word because his attack on the ball isn't that of a lazy player. Slightly aimless perhaps at times but you never know, he could have been instructed to get as loose as possible.

Regardless, lazy isn't the right word.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing which people sometimes overlook about Robert Walls is that he's a ********ing * who knows nothing about anything.

Mead said:
The thing which people sometimes overlook about Robert Walls is that he's a ********ing * who knows nothing about anything.

Yep, complete and utter douchebag.

From tomorrow's article in the West Aussie/The Age:

"Convincing lazy half-forward Ashley Sampi that it's OK to chase and tackle with some ferocity wouldn't do any harm either."

Kenny_01 said:

"Convincing lazy half-forward Ashley Sampi that it's OK to chase and tackle with some ferocity wouldn't do any harm either."

Is this ********ing idiot stoned? This has to be stupider than some of the stupidest stuff that is posted on here. First-class moron.

Kenny_01 said:

Further proof, as if we needed any, that Walls is an idiot who does not know what he is talking about. Obviously has not watched an Eagles game this year.

Woosha and the coaching staff will be cackling over their cornflakes if they read that one

Isnt it 'rapt', short for rapture?

rap[size=-1]2[/size] ([font=verdana,sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (r
abreve.gif
p)
tr.v. Archaic rapt, or rapped (r
abreve.gif
pt) rap·ping, raps
  1. past participle rapt To enchant or seize with rapture.

Thrawn666 said:
Further proof, as if we needed any, that Walls is an idiot who does not know what he is talking about. Obviously has not watched an Eagles game this year.

Woosha and the coaching staff will be cackling over their cornflakes if they read that one

Sampi's tackling and smothering v Sydney was outstanding. If Robert Walls was to check the official stats he would find that the Eagles no 1 tackler in 2005, is in fact Ashley Sampi (tied with Daniel Chick)

Victorians are often not quite "up with it" when bagging WA teams / players. Walls bagged Pavlich after 1 poor game and before the Freo / Melb game idiots like Billy Brownless and David Swartz called for Farmer and Medhurst to be dropped (despite their good form) - last year perhaps, but this year they've been great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back