Samsung s4

Pancakes

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Everywhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone got one of these yet?

I picked one up today, never used an android phone before so am still figuring things out.

What is the go with apps? Can I only download them through the phone, not with a iTunes type program?

Looks good though atm, plenty of features to play with.

Feb 26, 2009
Japan
AFL Club
Carlton

I picked one up today, never used an android phone before so am still figuring things out.

What is the go with apps? Can I only download them through the phone, not with a iTunes type program?

noice.

would take the htc but the sammy's removable battery trumps it.

yeah, just dl through the store(s) on your phone.

you can also download a separate app binary from anywhere (you trust) copy it to the phone and install that way.

there is a program call kies that has some backup and sync features like itunes, but i've never used it.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You can get them through the Google Play website too, just sign in with your google account, hit install, and it will get pushed to your phone.

wormburner67

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

No it's really quite easy but you will need a Google account however. No matter what Android device you have, as long as you have bought an app, it will show as purchased on all your Android devices as long as every Android device is configured with the same Google account.

If you are on a PC and see an app you like to buy, buy it and as long as you purchase via the same Google account it will show up on all Android devices as purchased. Log into Google Wallet (Google it) to enter your payment details to speed the purchasing process up :)

I have just ditched my Iphone 4 for an S4.
Aside from it being slightly larger, I am loving it.
Easy to use, screen colours are amazing and...... the 4G means I get full data at the footy. That's unheard of.
Very happy with it so far.

I have just ditched my Iphone 4 for an S4.
Aside from it being slightly larger, I am loving it.
Easy to use, screen colours are amazing and...... the 4G means I get full data at the footy. That's unheard of.
Very happy with it so far.

Yep, had mine for a day, still not fully switched over to it as I'm waiting on some phone and screen protectors, but that's exactly what I'm feeling when I use it.

Do go on...

When ever you open ANYTHING hit the button left of the home button and it brings up a menu you can adjust the settings for each app/function individually

I couldn't work out how to change message tones until i got shown that, select messages, then that button and bingo

Dec 16, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Considering swapping over from the Iphone (4s). However I'm worried about storage. The only model available on a plan at the moment is the 16gb model, yet that's a bit misleading as the Samsung OS takes up nearly half of the storage leaving about 9gb left. And what's worse is that you can't put any apps on a SD card. So this could be a deal breaker for me as currently i have about 6GB worth of Spotify "offline mode" songs, which can't be put on SD.

This problem appeared on a BBC watchdog show, and Samsung have stated they will try to condense the OS up a bit to free some memory. But people just beware of this before you consider signing up to a plan.

alfy!

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering swapping over from the Iphone (4s). However I'm worried about storage. The only model available on a plan at the moment is the 16gb model, yet that's a bit misleading as the Samsung OS takes up nearly half of the storage leaving about 9gb left. And what's worse is that you can't put any apps on a SD card. So this could be a deal breaker for me as currently i have about 6GB worth of Spotify "offline mode" songs, which can't be put on SD.

This problem appeared on a BBC watchdog show, and Samsung have stated they will try to condense the OS up a bit to free some memory. But people just beware of this before you consider signing up to a plan.
I'm pretty sure there is a way to use the SD card for applications, I used to do it back on my SGS1. Might have to root the phone though.

Check out Whirlpool and ask there.

Be sure not to sync messages from your old phone. I forgot to un-tick the box and the S4 really struggled with the amount of messages. My messages froze for a good 24 hours until I was able to delete them all from the phone.

Dec 16, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Will be seeing what Apple announce on Monday at the WWDC in regards to the iPhone 5s. If nothing "revolutionary", then hello s4 2 year contract for me :/

Only thing holding me back is I'd miss iMessage. Not so much because 'it uses data'. It's just I have a mac and an ipad, so it's nice how it all connects together.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Moving apps to SD is pretty simple, a couple of apps don't allow it but 99.9999% of them move at the click of a button.

Dec 16, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Moving apps to SD is pretty simple, a couple of apps don't allow it but 99.9999% of them move at the click of a button.
Are you sure? Nearly every review I've read for the S4 state that it doesn't work anymore for apps as developers think their app on SD will be 'slower'.

But if you have an S4 I'll take your word for it. Had a play around with one tonight, absolutely love it.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Are you sure? Nearly every review I've read for the S4 state that it doesn't work anymore for apps as developers think their app on SD will be 'slower'.

But if you have an S4 I'll take your word for it. Had a play around with one tonight, absolutely love it.

Ahh ok, didn't realise it was an S4 specific problem as every android device I've ever owned/used has been able to do it. They've just announced an update that should roll out soon that will enable it.

Galaxy S 4 software update enables moving apps to SD card, HDR video recording and more

Dec 16, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Ahh ok, didn't realise it was an S4 specific problem as every android device I've ever owned/used has been able to do it. They've just announced an update that should roll out soon that will enable it.

Galaxy S 4 software update enables moving apps to SD card, HDR video recording and more

That's good.

Also for S4 users, have any of you had any problems with audio through you're headphones? (apart from the stock standard headphones). I've heard there is a problem where if you use HQ headphones on the S4, an unbearable resonance can be heard on some devices. Kinda puting me off as music is a major thing I do with my phone.

Really can't decide between the S4 and the HTC One, first world problems...... Both are so good for different reasons...

Back