Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Should Alex Smith keep starting for the 49ers ???

Broken said:
I agree the rookie has to have some talent, but a good supporting cast and coaching helps a lot. I reckon the only decent QBs that have become good/great and started their rookie season in week 1 have been Manning and Bledsoe (and recently retired Aikman) and they all had good support.
-Manning has James, Harrison and Tony Dungy.
-Bledsoe had Ben Coates, Martin and Parcells.
-Aikman had Irvin, Emmitt and Jimmy Johnson

I can't see the same for Alex Smith. No RBs, no WRs, and I don't rate Mike Nolan as a coach, he was terrible as Washingtons D-Coordinator and only benefited at Baltimore because of the talented players.

Other rookies to start from week 1 (David Carr, Cade McNown, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith) have struggled to be the QB those franchises wanted.

But I guess it takes a few years, Rick Mirer was rookie of the year in 1993 and he had a brilliant career... :confused:

manning did not have edge nor did he have tony dungy
aikman did not have emmitt
bledsoe did not have curtis martin.

and roethlisthberger has done ok ,even though he didn't start until week 3 in his rookie season, granted, he did have a good support cast.

when bledsoe took over, new england were 2-14, dallas were 1-15 when aikman started and indianpolis were 1-15 when manning started so they can hardly be called good teams.

irvin was only in his second season when aikman started, coates was in his 3rd, but he wasn't rated highly until at least 94-95 and he was a 5th roung draft choice. harrison was drafted a couple of years before manning, but again he wasn't a dominant player.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

The 49ers are such a terrible team right now - they don't have a #1 receiver, they don't have a O-Line to protect him or a decent running game - that Alex Smith can't possibly succeed. All Alex Smith can do is get hit and injured, throw interceptions and lose confidence. They need to wait until they upgrade their team before putting him in or they risk destroying him as a player before he gets a chance to prove what he can do.

May 25, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Storm, Pompey

I loved watching Alex in College, with a decent O-line he can definitely be a star... but you cant just drop a rookie in there and expect him to win games for ya.

It all starts at the line, without them, you could have Peyton Manning in there and you would still be pretty lucky to come away with a couple of wins at most..

Lenny Briscoe said:
manning did not have edge nor did he have tony dungy
aikman did not have emmitt
bledsoe did not have curtis martin.

and roethlisthberger has done ok ,even though he didn't start until week 3 in his rookie season, granted, he did have a good support cast.

when bledsoe took over, new england were 2-14, dallas were 1-15 when aikman started and indianpolis were 1-15 when manning started so they can hardly be called good teams.

irvin was only in his second season when aikman started, coates was in his 3rd, but he wasn't rated highly until at least 94-95 and he was a 5th roung draft choice. harrison was drafted a couple of years before manning, but again he wasn't a dominant player.

I guess what I meant to say was that Aikman, Manning and Bledsoe didn't excel until they had the pieces I mentioned around them. I know Aikman looked lost in his rookie season, but once the pieces fell into place, he came into his own because there wasn't as much pressure on him to do it all.

I can't see the same happening with Smith as the 49ers with a new coach, no established WR or RB leaving more of an onus on the young QB.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Broken said:
I guess what I meant to say was that Aikman, Manning and Bledsoe didn't excel until they had the pieces I mentioned around them. I know Aikman looked lost in his rookie season, but once the pieces fell into place, he came into his own because there wasn't as much pressure on him to do it all.

I can't see the same happening with Smith as the 49ers with a new coach, no established WR or RB leaving more of an onus on the young QB.
Isnt Smith in nearly the same position Aikman was. Jimmy Johnson was only new and they didnt have the important pieces of those Superbowl team. Sounds a lot like the 49ers and Smith now

The Slitherin' Snake said:
Isnt Smith in nearly the same position Aikman was. Jimmy Johnson was only new and they didnt have the important pieces of those Superbowl team. Sounds a lot like the 49ers and Smith now

agreed

its fine to look back in hindsight and say aikamn had irvin, smith and jimmy johnson, but when he started they were nothing. fine immy johnson had college succes, but so has steve spurrier and dennis erickson and butch davis.

emmitt smith was a first round running back but so was curtis ennis.

it was fortuante that they all arrived at similar times and complemented each other and that they all devleoped into sensational players. but who's to say that frank gore or brandon lloyd won't be dominant in 5 years time

or reggie bush if they draft him

DonAce

All Australian
Veteran NFL Mock Draft Participant
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Pickett got railroaded today by the Bears defence. Hardly his fault when he's a fourth stringer, he has 5 open gates protecting him and no running game to speak of.

In other news, Nathan Vasher's 108 yard TD return off a missed (and caught) field goal is officially the longest play in NFL history, eclipsing Chris McAlister's 2002 effort for the Ravens.

Oct 5, 2004
Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears

fuey said:
Cody Pickett... 1-13-28-0-1

Smith was doing better than that...

Gotta put him back in...

It was windy as in Chicago today, the ball was only thrown 27 times combined for 85 yards combined, would have been tough on any quarterback.

I'm not a fan of throwing rookies in at the deep end, although the Bears didn't really have a choice. I know both Manning's and Palmer waited and look what they're doing, all awesome qb's.

I can't wait till Rex Grossman is healthy again, we signed Moose to a big contract and he's getting career worse numbers.

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies

DaSawx said:
I know both Manning's and Palmer waited and look what they're doing, all awesome qb's.

Actually Peyton Manning started his first year while Eli Manning started about half way through his first year.

DaSawx said:
It was windy as in Chicago today, the ball was only thrown 27 times combined for 85 yards combined, would have been tough on any quarterback.

And?

Orton played in the same conditions, he's been in the league less than Pickett, the Bears don't have a great O-Line either, neither team would be trying to throw a deep ball, so why did Orton complete 7 more passes than Pickett?

Talent.

Smith undoubtedly has more talent than Pickett, so I believe he still would've had a better game...

coasting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardies
49ers leaving San Francisco

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/11/09/BAGNJM99FK1.DTL

49ers say they are moving to Santa Clara

The owner of the San Francisco 49ers said Wednesday that plans to build a new football stadium at Candlestick Point are dead and that the team will be leaving San Francisco, according to several sources.

In a series of evening phone calls to San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom and to several supervisors, team owner John York declared that months of negotiations with the city are over and that he plans to move the team to Santa Clara.

Mayoral spokesman Peter Ragone said the call came in early evening, stunning and perplexing officials who had been meeting weekly with team representatives.

York's decision followed a meeting earlier in the day with representatives of the Lennar Corp., the would-be developers of the housing and retail stores that were to accompany the proposed 80,500-seat stadium. York gave his decision during the meeting and began contacting city officials.

City Hall sources did not rule out the possibility that York's sudden announcement could be an attempt to cut a better deal for the football team.

But in his calls to the mayor and to supervisors, York repeatedly said that his decision was final. The team could not stay in San Francisco, he said, because the stadium deal "didn't pencil out" and because provisions for transportation and parking at the proposed site at Candlestick Point were inadequate.

In his calls, York complained that the proposed parking garage outside the stadium would mean the end of the traditional pregame tailgating parties and lead to traffic jams.

The announcement also apparently ends a possible bid by San Francisco to host the 2016 Summer Olympics, which would have been tied to the construction of a new stadium in San Francisco.

The timing of the 49ers' news means that even should some reconciliation between the city and the football team be reached, it might be too late to help the Olympic bid. San Francisco 2016 must submit its bid document, some 250-300 pages, by Jan. 22. The certainty of a bid's plans is one criterion the USOC will use in assessing it.

York told Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin that "Santa Clara has become the team's first priority'' as a new location and that the team was "not playing one city off the other,'' Peskin said.

York apparently reached his decision on his own, without consulting advisers or partners.

"We're disappointed, but we're not planning on mortgaging the future for a deal,'' mayoral spokesman Peter Ragone said.

Contacted by a Chronicle reporter, York was evasive.

"I don't know where you heard that,'' York said, when asked about reports that the team was leaving.

Asked if the reports were incorrect, York replied, "I didn't say that.''

Sources said York is also peeved at the city's insistence that any stadium deal be approved at the ballot box. A campaign to win voters would cost around $6 million, York complained.

Previous plans for a new stadium have called for a $600 million to $800 million complex to be built southeast of the current stadium.

In 1997, voters approved a controversial ballot proposition authorizing $100 million for a stadium, but that plan never got off the ground.

York said his next move is to begin talks with Santa Clara officials.

"We're proud to have the San Francisco 49ers as part of our community," said Santa Clara Mayor Patricia Mahan. "We have been looking to expand our entertainment options in the Great America/Convention Center area for years, and this stadium can be a great addition."

York in the past had let it be known that the team was inspecting a site near the Great America amusement park. If that location doesn't work, York said, he will look elsewhere in California.

York said he would elaborate today about his plans for the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/content/news/view.php?id=10265

This is sad news indeed.

Whether you are a 49ers fan or not Bill Walsh is an absolute legend of the game, 3 time SB winning coach, one of the greatest football minds and architect of one of the most storied sporting franchises.

Thoughts to his family.

Now 2007 49ers, Win one for the Gippa!

Re: Bill Walsh RIP.

An absolute legend of the game. Bill Walsh is credited for inventing the West Coast Offence and washead coach at the 49ers during their glory years in the 80s, with SuperBowl wins in 81, 84 and 88. His coaching career started in 1966 at the Raiders and ended after SuperBowl XXIII (88 season). His coaching influence is enormous, with many of todays coaches tracing their careers back to Bill Walsh. Have a look at the coaching tree in wikipedia to see what I mean.

check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(football_coach) for a full career summary.

A sad, sad loss....

usalion

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Board HoF
Oct 5, 2004
Athens, GA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Phils, Eagles, Flyers, Sunderland

The staff he brought to Frisco with him was truly amazing...Seifert, Denny Green, Mike Holmgren, Ray Rhodes- know I left out a couple, but all went on to be head coaches- and he brought in even more talent who learned from Walsh. Certainly the coach of the 80s....and one of the true greats, although his career was awfully short.

Aussie Joe

Premiership Player
May 5, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SF Giants, Everton

Truely a very sad day here in the Bay Area.

One of the best coaches of all time.

With the introduction of the West Coast offensive, he was ahead of his time.

And he was a good bloke as well.

Hawkamania!

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2007
My house
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
49ers,Box Hill,NT Thunder

Hawkamania!

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2007