Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that we can expect too much from the 49ers next season either. They need help everywhere, quarterback, offfensive line, pass rush, wide receiver, linebacker etc (i'm sure I missed a position or two). Given that the last few drafts seem to have been spent on defence, and their new coach is supposed to be offensively minded, it will be interesting to see what they can do in free agency and the draft to fix some of the team's multiple weak areas.

Really great draft for us imho

Thomas, Foster, and Witherspoon should be able to jump right in and either start or be featured heavily in rotations. The three late picks on defense (Jones, Taumoepenu, Colbert) probably won't feature any time soon, but good luck to them in trying to make the 53 - I would've preferred we took Malachi Dupre, Elijah Hood, and Conor McDermott with those late picks to really help out our offense.

Speaking of offense, I'm confident that Kittle and Taylor can become our long-term tight end and slot receiver and could potentially feature quite a bit in 2017. Kittle is a super athlete (4.52 40 at 6-4 247 lbs) while Taylor was very productive in college (235 catches for 3,285 yards and 21 TDs the last two seasons). Williams has potential to be a solid RB but should've taken him later and Beathard doesn't look special to me at all, so those picks weren't amazing.

A few solid UDFA signings - Hikutini, Cannon, Magnuson, and Jerome could've easily been fourth round picks but they slipped out and to us. All very productive in college and could feature in rotational roles in 2017 and start down the line, in particular the latter three (unfortunately for Hikutini he has Kittle, McDonald, and Celek ahead of him). There's a fair few other UDFA guys I would've liked us to take but oh well :p

This thread for 2017 should be renamed "The San Francisco 49ers" The Purge.

49ers last night released running back Mike Davis. Davis' cutting leaves on 29 Trent Baalke roster selections only the team.

If you dig deeper into the numbers you start to see how bad the Baalke regime was with offensive skill positions:

Hyde is the only RB left on the roster from 9 RBs drafted by Baalke.
He only ever drafted 6 WRs during his reign of terror, half are gone and the last three, Ellington, Smelter and Burbridge are outside chances of surviving training camp.
Drafted 3 QBS, Kaepernick, Driskell, Daniels. None are with the team today.
TE is equally sad, 3 drafted, McDonald, Anderson, Bell. Lynch tried to trade McDonald, Anderson is gone and Bell is buried on the depth chart.

Tells a lot....relative to the number of draft picks the 49ers have hoarded over the period they spent very few on the offensive side of the ball and when they did pick they weren't very good at it (this is reinforced about how many of these picks are not even on other team's rosters).

With the dumervil signing I really like the outlook of the 49ers front 7 going forward.

With bowman back from injury and the exciting draft picks it looms as bouncing back and in 18 months could be back as being the defensive front they had 5 years ago.

Arik Armstead- Soloman Thomas-Earl Mitchell-DeForest Buckner

Rueben foster-Navarro Bowman-Elvis Dumervil

Exciting front 7..

and some reasonable depth pieces to rotate with Aaron lynch, Malcom smith from oakland, tank Carradine and ahmad Brookes.

I see the 9ers have an area of strength on that roster now going forward.

Agree, like what Lynch did in the draft, niners front will be beastly in a year or so, Thomas is a stud and Buckner is a beast. Here's hoping Foster can keep his s**t together and not waste his god given talents.

49ers named Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year by ESPN
Posted by Mike Florio on July 12, 2017, 5:12 PM EDT
471559968-e1499893962804.jpg
Getty Images
The slow time on the NFL calendar typically generates plenty of negative news. Here’s something to balance that out.

The 49ers were recognized as the Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year at the third annual Sports Humanitarian of the Year Awards in L.A.. The other finalists for the recognition presented by ESPN were the the Chicago White Sox (MLB), Memphis Grizzlies (NBA), and the New York City Football Club (MLS).

According to a press release issued by the 49ers, the Sports Humanitarian Team of the Year Award “represents a sports team that demonstrates how teamwork between athletes and their team’s community relations efforts or foundations can create a significant impact on a community or cause.” The 49ers will receive a $100,000 grant that will be devoted to a charity related to the team’s humanitarian efforts.

“Every Sunday, the 49ers take the field to win,” 49ers co-chair Dr. John York said in the release. “The other 349 days of the year, we want to be the best football team and the best community citizens. Through the 49ers Foundation’s efforts to keep kids ‘Safe, On Track, and In School,’ we inspire Bay Area children to succeed in life using sports as a pathway. We are honored that ESPN recognizes the 49ers educational efforts in the community.”

The 49ers donated over 1,200 of volunteer time to over 75 local events and gave $4 million to local non-profits in 2016, and they operate the 49ers STEM Leadership Institute and the 49ers STEAM Education Program.

What does #NinerNation think about this?

---------------------

Gregg Rosenthal mentioned on the most recent Around the NFL podcast that he's heard Carlos Hyde could be a surprise training camp cut.

A former longtime Rotoworld editor, Rosenthal now writes for NFL.com, frequently appears on NFL Network, and has cultivated enough connections that what he's hearing is noteworthy. Since the 49ers' new regime took over, coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch have been outwardly clear that San Francisco's running back situation needs upgrading, whether by signing (Tim Hightower), trading for (Kapri Bibbs), and drafting (Joe Williams) backs or Shanahan's suggestion that Hyde has personal improvement to make. We still believe Hyde could fetch something via trade, even in a contract year at a devalued position. The Niners would probably be willing to part with Hyde for a fourth-round pick, if not less.

Source: Around the NFL Podcast
Jul 24 - 5:43 PM

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never been healthy for a full season.

I'll never forget him torching us on MNF.

God we were bad that night. Must have been the intimidation of the Playne.

Hyde still at the niners but Hightower cut. At his age (31 I think) and with plenty of competition from younger players such as Breida it was always going to be tough for him to make the team.

Should've got the win if not for a terrible ref call (the OPI on Taylor, ridiculous).

But I'll take a good offensive performance with putting up 39 points, best the O has played in years. Taylor and Kittle even as rookies look like long-term TE and slot WR starters. The D was awful after a short break, but we saw great signs from them last week. Hopefully soon enough the two units can put it together on the same day and we can get a great scalp.

Also, the loss helps the draft positioning which is always a good thing when looking at Darnold, Rosen, and Barkley. Would love to see one of those three in the red and gold and sometimes black next year.

Should've got the win if not for a terrible ref call (the OPI on Taylor, ridiculous).

But I'll take a good offensive performance with putting up 39 points, best the O has played in years. Taylor and Kittle even as rookies look like long-term TE and slot WR starters. The D was awful after a short break, but we saw great signs from them last week. Hopefully soon enough the two units can put it together on the same day and we can get a great scalp.

Also, the loss helps the draft positioning which is always a good thing when looking at Darnold, Rosen, and Barkley. Would love to see one of those three in the red and gold and sometimes black next year.
I always want to see the 49ers do well. I would hate to think that they are tanking for a high pick in the draft this early. It also doesn't really matter if we get Rosen or Darnold if our offensive line can't protect them. I'd be prepared to stick with Hoyer and Beathard and draft the best o-line prospects available first up in the draft.

Looking at "Niners Nation" (49ers fan site) apart from the rash of injuries the main complaint seems to be the lack of sacks upsetting the fans. They get pressure on opposing quarterbacks apparently, just can't quite get the sacks yet. Come on Elvis (Dumervill) get to that quarterback !

Well the niners seemed to get a couple of sacks this week. However they were not able to get any touchdowns and lost in overtime. I have noticed that Hoyer seems to throw the ball "down" and a lot of the catches by the 49ers receivers seem to be below their knees. Under those circumstances the fact that Garcon and company catch the ball as often as they do is probably a credit to them.

Hoyer was doing ok, but I really like Beathard, so things are looking up....

-----------------

C.J. Beathard completed 19-of-36 passes for 245 yards a touchdown and an interception in Week 6 against the Redskins.

Beathard replaced Brian Hoyer in the second quarter. He managed the 49ers to a touchdown drive on his second series, and nearly led them to a comeback win. Beathard's touchdown came on a blown coverage to a wide open Aldrick Robinson. He gave the offense a spark and was an upgrade over Hoyer, so Beathard should keep the job moving forward. Beathard will make his first start against Dallas in Week 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back