Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh, no Jarryd Hayne :thumbsdown:

Got on the cruise as a baggage handler.

Maybe I'm acting like a 10 year old but for about a grand to rub shoulders with some of the all time 49er legends is a good deal, even without Hayne.

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 31-of-43 passes for 381 yards and a touchdown in the 49ers' 25-23, Week 15 win over the Titans.

The 300-yard performance was Garoppolo's second straight. He has at least 290 in all three of his starts with the 49ers. This, with Marquise Goodwin as his No. 1 receiver. Per the CBS broadcast booth, he became the first 49ers quarterback since Jeff Garcia in 2000 to have back-to-back 300-yard games. Unreal. Garoppolo is playing genuinely elite football. He gets the ball out blindingly fast, and is not afraid to target tight windows or attempt unorthodox passes. He's playing with confidence that belies his relative lack of regular season experience. Garoppolo has the ultimate Week 16 test in the Jaguars.

Unbeaten since I posted this...thank me later

Could well be in the playoff mix with him starting all year (if you cast your mind back to the 5 losses by a total of 13 points)...he could also have been put on IR after 3 games given the pummeling 49er QBs have taken this season too.

Either way, franchise QB should now be off the 49er off season list......now two interior linemen, a starting corner, edge rusher, another linebacker and a No 1 WR would be great.

My dream off season:

- Re-sign Safety Reid. With Tartt and Colbert the 49ers could also afford to then move Ward back to starting CB opposite Witherspoon.
- Re-sign QB Garoppolo long term.
- Re-sign RB Carlos Hyde (only if the price is right)....FA market maybe soft and the draft class looks stacked.

- Sign FA Centre Weston Richburg (Giants)
- Sign FA DE Ezekeil Ansah (Lions)
- Sign FA WR Davante Adams (Packers)

Light a fire under Garrett's arse.

Draft:

1st Round: Guard Quentin Nelson (I think the 49ers are falling far enough in the draft that they may not be in a trade down position with a team looking for a QB)...Richburg, Garrett and Nelson instantly solve the interior of the line. All depends on FA, DE Chubb, WR Ridley or LB Roquan Smith could also be the pick here.

2nd Round and Round 3: BPA Corner in the second, Linebacker in the 3rd if they don't take Smith in the 1st.

Round 4 onwards: 3 down RB (focus on pass protection skills), another offensive lineman, WR.

2017 average points scored pre-Garoppolo: 17
2017 average points scores w/ Garoppolo: 22
Add that extra 5 points to the pre-Jimmy games and we'd have beaten Seattle, LA, Arizona, Indy, and Washington. Instead of 4-10 we would have a 9-5 record and be right in playoff contention. Now that's what I like to see! The team has many faults, but I believe it can be a playoff team.

Position by posistion:
QB: Gotta resign Garoppollo. Beathard is a very good back-up.
RB: I'm indifferent on Hyde, but I'd prefer to keep him than blow an early pick on Barkley. Should probably look for a better back-up than Breida too, look at the success of teams will several running backs - NE (Lewis, Burkhead, White), NO (Ingram and Kamara), and Philly (Blount, Ajayi, Clement).
WR: Definitely need help here. Goodwin and Taylor I think can be the starting #2 and #3 long-term, but Garcon is 31 and all good teams need four good receivers. One guy I really like here is David Sills - he's a touchdown machine, which we definitely need given the red zone struggles this season, and he will probably be a mid-round pick. Christian Kirk, Simmie Cobbs, and Cedric Wilson would also be good draftees.
TE: Perfectly fine right now. Celek and Kittle are playing very well.
OL: Definitely need interior help. Staley should be fine for a few more years (he's in almost career best form right now) and I like Trent Brown at RT. The guys in between them (Beadles, Kilgore, Fusco) not so much. I'm also a big fan of Quenton Nelson, while Braden Smith, Ross Pierschbacher, and Beau Benzschawel provide some nice later options.
DL: I'm fine with it at the moment. I like Harrison Phillips from Stanford at DT as a beast of a run stuffer and he should be available a few rounds in. We don't need another first round guy on DL surely?
LB: Need help here. Eli Harold and Brock Coyle are the starting OLBs and they're both okay but nothing special. Josey Jewell out of Iowa is a player I'd love to draft. Uber-productive and is a maniac on the field, Lambert award winner as the nation's best linebacker. Cameron Smith, TJ Edwards, and Chris Worley I also am a fan of.
DB: Could always need help here, have as long as I can remember. I'm a fan of Deshon Elliott and Joshua Jackson but it's overall not an outstanding DB class so FA may be the way to go.

I reckon trading down and taking Nelson is the best way to go about it, hopefully pick up maybe pick 15-20 and two second rounders in exchange for pick ~5 or whatever we end up having. Should have plenty of cap room to go after a few players - in addition to Richburg, Anzah, and Adams, I also would be in favour of pursuing Trai Turner, Jeremy Hill, and Xavier Rhodes.

I don't think that the 49ers need to draft a running back early . A big wide receiver, a centre (probably through free agency) , at least one other o lineman, a pass rusher and probably another defensive back are more important, unless, of course, Hyde leaves at the end of this season. I would love to know the full story on Williams (the young running back they drafted at the start of this year ).

The best thing about the 49ers' season is that the holes are obvious and with draft picks and salary cap space have the collateral to make some noise this off season.

Garappolo not only ticks the starting QB spot but all of a sudden the team looks like somewhere FAs might want to come and play as well. Assuming the 49ers re-sign their own FAs they want to retain, they get back the 7 starters sitting on IR that missed last week's game (Brown, Smith, Tartt, Ward, Garcon, Garnett, Armstead) I'd be disappointed if they still are starting the likes of Tomlinson, Fusco, Coyle, Kilgore etc in 2018.

The thing is, no team is perfect so they don't need to fill all the holes just cover them when needed.

I'm also interested to see what happens with the DC job..wouldn't surprise me if they tried to get Fangio back this off-season now that he is off contract with the Bears after trying to get him to return last off season. Think this team is still built defensively to be a 3-4 scheme.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hyde's pass pro nearly got Jimmy killed on Sunday. Doubt he will be re signed. Lynch will find a RB in the mid/late rounds.

Pick 5 or 6 looks their spot so there's a chance of trading back. Either way there'll be new OL players next year.

Finished at 9th or 10th (coin flip with the Raiders).

NFC West will be back to its brutal best next year.
I'm happy with picking up the Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson, he looks like the best interior OL prospect since Zach Martin, should provide instant impact, and you'd imagine he would still be available. Calvin Ridley, Derwin James, Denzel Ward or Josh Jackson wouldn't be too bad either.

Quickly looking ahead to the 2018 schedule:
Home: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Oakland, NY Giants, Arizona, LA Rams, Seattle
Away: Tampa Bay, LA Chargers, Kansas City, Green Bay, Minnesota, Arizona, LA Rams, Seattle

Very early I know, but I can definitely see this team winning 10 games - Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Oakland, Giants, Arizona x2, Tampa, Chargers, and Seattle. That's relatively pessimistic too, as there really aren't too many great teams in that schedule apart from LA (twice), Minnesota, Green Bay and Kansas City, and I could see one of them potentially being a win. 10-6 seems to be a great goal to aim for for 2018, just need to attract a few pieces in FA and the draft to fit the primary needs (interior OL, wide receiver, cornerback).

I'm happy with picking up the Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson, he looks like the best interior OL prospect since Zach Martin, should provide instant impact, and you'd imagine he would still be available. Calvin Ridley, Derwin James, Denzel Ward or Josh Jackson wouldn't be too bad either.

Quickly looking ahead to the 2018 schedule:
Home: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Oakland, NY Giants, Arizona, LA Rams, Seattle
Away: Tampa Bay, LA Chargers, Kansas City, Green Bay, Minnesota, Arizona, LA Rams, Seattle

Very early I know, but I can definitely see this team winning 10 games - Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Oakland, Giants, Arizona x2, Tampa, Chargers, and Seattle. That's relatively pessimistic too, as there really aren't too many great teams in that schedule apart from LA (twice), Minnesota, Green Bay and Kansas City, and I could see one of them potentially being a win. 10-6 seems to be a great goal to aim for for 2018, just need to attract a few pieces in FA and the draft to fit the primary needs (interior OL, wide receiver, cornerback).
Most of the phantom drafts that I have seen project Nelson to be gone before the 49ers get to pick. We might need to address our O line deficiencies through free agency rather than the draft.

Confidence in sport is a great intangible. Garoppolo has been fantastic but even he can’t take the credit for the lack of drops amongst all receivers in recent weeks.
I think that he deserves SOME of the credit. One thing I noticed with Hoyer is that he tended to throw low so that the receivers were often reaching down to catch the ball at knee level (or lower), Jimmy seems to put the ball in more catchable positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back