Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Smith - System Failure

Someone pointed me to this article in regards to a debate I was having about coaching rookie QBs, changing their mechanics, or trying to put square pegs in round holes, not utilizing what the QBs are actually good at etc.

What are your thoughts on this topic??

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/071112

Close to halfway through another terrible NFL game Monday night, the guys on the television broadcast had a brief but vibrant discussion about the NFL's inability to judge talent at the quarterback position. The topic arose after a pictorial rundown of all the brutal drafting decisions that have occurred over the past decade with No. 1 overall picks.
It just so happens that Alex Smith and the 49ers were playing Monday night, so the pictorial rundown of draft busts was timely. Smith seems poised to join Tim Couch as one the worst top quarterback picks in history. He's at least putting himself in the discussion.
Smith has been a huge disappointment; there's no argument there. His failures are made more glaring by the successes of guys like Tony Romo and Jeff Garcia and of course Saint Tom Brady, because those guys were either unregarded or lightly regarded coming out of college and they've been successful.

Kirby Lee/Image of Sport/US Presswire
The No. 1 overall pick in 2005, Smith has completed just 48.7 percent of his passes with two TDs -- while being sacked 17 times.

But removing the entire scouting/evaluation angle, I contend that coaches and organizations have as much responsibility for the draft busts as the quarterbacks themselves. This is especially true in the case of Smith and the 49ers, a classic case study for an NFL team's complete inability to innovate.
If you've watched the 49ers for as much as a series this season, you know they have one of the dullest, most poorly coached offenses in recent NFL history. In the first half against the Seahawks on Monday night, their one first down came on a desperation pass on the last play before halftime. And the receiver didn't even catch the ball.
Think about it, though: Smith was the No. 1 pick in 2005 mostly because he excelled in the fresh and innovative offensive scheme Urban Meyer created at the University of Utah. Meyer's version of the shotgun spread offense best utilized Smith's talents. It put a large number of receivers downfield, maximizing Smith's options and forcing him to make quick decisions. If nothing opened up quickly, Smith was fast enough and shifty enough to take off and gain yards in the middle of the mostly linebacker-free defense.
We have to assume that's what the 49ers saw when they scouted and evaluated Smith. Sure, there were combines that measured his athletic ability and psychiatric evaluations to assess his mental acuity, but the bulk of the available evidence came on the field in a University of Utah uniform.
So what do the 49ers do? They put Smith in a traditional offense, have him take seven-step drops behind an offensive line that is well below average in terms of pass blocking, and they wonder why they have the worst offense in a league full of bad offenses.
Does that make any sense?
To put it another way, can you imagine a successful college coach -- a guy accustomed to cycling new talent through his program every three or four years -- doing the same thing?
Last week I pointed out how many inexcusably awful teams are inflicting inferior football on the paying public, and one e-mailer seriously suggested this was "un-American." (Well, there's a vote for Giuliani.) The idea that a lot of people are watching the NFL with a critical eye, or at least not planning their entire Sunday around Raiders-Bears, apparently struck a nerve with those whose loyalty to the league leans a little toward the unnatural side.
But the Alex Smith situation is a perfect example of the rampant institutional arrogance of the NFL. It's bigger than just one player and one team and one coach. It gets to the root of why college football is the more entertaining product, and why the NFL has to rely on the Stepford-like devotion of its fans to continue to fill stadiums and empty their pockets.
There is no reason, right now, to believe Smith will ever be considered anything other than a horrible drafting blunder by a team that couldn't afford one. But most of the blame seems to fall on Smith -- he doesn't have the right instincts, he doesn't have the arm strength, he doesn't have the savvy to lead a team. In other words, Smith will be considered a bust forever, but the lack of creativity and intelligence will earn the 49ers coaches another job after they're inevitably fired from this one.
And somewhere, lost amid the white noise of the myth-making and myth-killing machine, someone might make a footnote of the fact that nobody ever came close to putting Smith in a position to succeed.
The truth is, most of the true innovations in football start at the college level. The shotgun spread is in wide use in the NFL now, but it started in college. College coaches adapt and experiment, maybe because they're less concerned with losing their jobs or maybe because they need to either win or lose in an entertaining fashion. There's also an element of necessity at work: Air Force doesn't have the size or the athletes to run the same offense as Notre Dame, but it can beat the snot out of the Irish by using misdirection and deception. If Mike Nolan coached Air Force, you get the feeling he'd put them in an I-formation, run straight ahead and use a seven-step drop on third-and-8. (Mouse Davis' run and shoot, really just an early version of the shotgun spread, was an imaginative failure in the NFL, and it might serve as a cautionary tale for coaches.)
Mike Leach might never win a national championship at Texas Tech, but I'll take three hours of his offense over six months of what the 49ers are dishing out. And if you turned over the NFL version of Alex Smith to Leach -- or to Meyer again -- I guarantee Smith would have better numbers, more wins and a hell of a lot more fun than he's having right now.

Re: Alex Smith - System Failure

No different to other QB perceptions. Why have the Browns turned back to Anderson after he seemed shakey for much of his previous starts in recent years? The system needs a shake up, the o-line needs to be healthy for starters and the recievers can't afford to blow thier routes... just seems that the Niners have a hotch potch playbook nobody understands.. does the QB need to be the scapegoat?

Interestingly that when the Steelers play the opposition, I always pay particular attention on why our D causes havoc and if it doesn't, WHY?? is the opposition O-line doing thier job? is the QB utilising the 'check-down' style? or is it the running game opening up thier play-action..?? so many things to consider, wonder and acknowledge. That's why I had some faith in Anderson unlike JD who probably watched him on a handful of plays.. the Browns O-line last season was horrific.. Charlie Frye was thier scapegoat. Now a Seahawk.

With Alex Smith, only saw him in the second game vs the Steelers.. didn't have a dreadful game by any means but I somewhat think that the current Niners system is indeed failing him... any good QB can throw INT's on any given day but to have the an inexperienced QB forced to go into double coverage is a concern if the alignment isn't right to start off with.

Well isn't it his third offensive co-ordinator in 3 years? Pretty hard to settle down and grind out the basics when s**t keeps changing every year.

The other guy the niners also could of got isnt doing all that crash hot either

Very good post Woodson, you said a few interesting things there about how when a team does well or not against the Steelers D, how you try to analyze what causes that.

I guess with your question, i would assume it's the off-cordinator putting up a good gameplan that day which out-tricks the def-cordinator. Then it's just the battle between the OL and DL. Because that's where anything happens - good/bad passing/running or good/bad sacks/penetration. The more the OL can hold, the more time it gives the WRs to develop routes and get a window open for the QB. But again, what kind of offensive scheme or gameplan is that team playing against the Steelers? Are they rolling out more? More screens? Etc. I mean, what have you noticed is the thing that makes teams beat the Steelers? Is it always the same thing? Or different things? Denver and Arizona losses...did the Cards and Broncs play the Steelers a certain same way?

And Juddy-like...
I have to agree with you about system and revolving door of coaches. It's interesting to note that Norv Turner was the craftsman behind Smith's really good 2006 season. Hired specifically for that, it being his forte. And I had a feeling that when Norv left a season so soon, that Smith's form would drop due to Norv not schooling him....or....that Smith would have absorbed Norv's teaching but that the Niner offense would lurch due to a new off-cordinator that just wasnt as good as Norv.

Norv isnt the best HC, but he's a great OC and QB coach. So I dont think Smith is a bum as some would like to think, but that a new Off-Cord running a better playbook would help Smith look good again.

It's also interesting that article because it's the exact same problem that happened last year with the Raiders and Andrew Walter. Thrown to the lions behind a dodgy line trying to play 7-step drops. No wonder Walter looked bad. And imo, RaiderNation generally is wrong to judge Walter not just a system failure but a failure per se as a QB. He had 8 rookie games in a horrendous situation all around, and was then left to feel worthless with Russell signing.

I think Russell has more upside etc and more tools. But it was still wrong imo to use Walter like that. Just draft some young hopeful looking for a stable career in the NFL and just use him as some temp that you weren't really interested in developing and helping him have a career. Not the right way to go about it.

It was hilarious watching the Raiders last year. I think they were playing the Seahawks once, and it was purely a race to see who could get to the QB first, funny stuff...

I also see that Trent Dilfer will be starting for Smith this week. That reminds me of one of the better quotes that has hit this board in recent times, "Vinny Testeverde's dad is better than Trent Dilfer". Not sure who said it but I liked it. :D

Well I've watched about 80% of Alex Smith's play including a couple of times live since he was drafted I add the following thoughts:
  • 3 Offensive Coordinators in three years. Word coming out of college that once Smith gets the system he will be very good, well the OC merry go round he has experienced has never let him settle and be comfortable with the X and O part of the game. The current OC, is a rookie Coordinator who not only calls terrible plays but is now being questioned about his ability to design plays and install them in the system.
  • A mess of an Offensive Line. Allen on the way out, Smiley and Jennings on IR, a rookie, Staley, at RT, backups now starting, Harris (former 1st rounder) benched and in lasts year of contract.
  • Head Coach Mike Nolan. Nice suit but he is a defense orientated guy and simply does not get offense, his philosophy is to keep the other team to a lower score than your team not to outscore opponents.
  • Bits and Pieces WR Corp. Battle, Lelie, Jackson and Hill (rookie) means opposition defenses have no true playmaker to keep an eye on. Been the case since Owens left. This group is also plagued by dropped balls, poor route running and confusion on how plays are supposed to evolve. Reflection of coaching. Let's not forget major bust former 1st rounder Rashad Woods who was supposed to be the Owens replacement whi isn't evn in the league anymore.
  • Underutilising strengths. No screens, play action, heavy TE involvement (Vernon Davis is held in 80% of the time to block to make up for our turnstyle offensive line). Frank Gore is great catching passes out of the backfield, as is Hicks, Walker and Robinson.....I'm lucky if I see throwing to the RB or TE as a first option called three times in a game. Then again, with the line at the moment, any designed screen play is likely to get Smith killed.
  • Playing Injured and Banged Up Supporting Cast. Seperated his shoulder early and has now admitted he is still not right, might explain all those rainbow and duck throws I've seen recently. On top of his own injury concerns, Gore has been carrying an ankle all year, Vernon Davis a knee, rookie WR Hill a hamspring, not to mention the injuries along the line.
None of these things have helped Smith and have been thrown around as excuses for his performances and regression this year. I defy Brady or Romo to succeed in such circumstances.

However, despite this, much of the talk is that Alex Smith is a bust and unfortunately it maybe on the mark. Regardless of the reasoning and compounding issues, he is not playing like a 1st overall pick...and the worst part after watching the MNF game he has lost his fire and seems like a lost boy amongst men now and that shows in his decision making. An NFL QB needs to have a certain swagger (the reason I already hate the new Cowboy signal caller) Smith simply doesn't have it now. His throwing mechanics are terrible because he has been carrying his shoulder and that shows in his terrible accuracy.

The 49ers have been blessed with some of the greatest QBs in history and offensive displays that are a joy to watch. These days I take my bathroom breaks whenever we have the ball, it is that ugly.

The question is now who will last longer in San Francisco, Alex Smith or Mike Nolan?

...and to top it off Trent Dilfer will be starting this week agains the Rams and may be the starter for the rest of the year if Smith does not recover soon.

What I don't understand is the 49ers are gone this year and Dilfer is definitely not the future (debatable if he was even the past) so why not have a look at Shaun Hill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3112293

Dilfer to start at QB vs. Rams
Associated Press

Updated: November 15, 2007, 5:26 PM ET

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Trent Dilfer will start for the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday in place of quarterback Alex Smith, who finally acknowledged a serious arm injury has been affecting his play.

Dilfer, the 14-year veteran who struggled through three straight losses while filling in for Smith, got the assignment Thursday from coach Mike Nolan. The 49ers still aren't certain whether Smith's injuries will keep him out for the season, though Smith has entertained the possibility.

Smith and Nolan had a lengthy meeting Wednesday following the quarterback's public disclosure that his recently separated right shoulder led to a forearm injury that prevents him from throwing well. Smith and Nolan previously denied Smith's arm injury was causing his poor play.

So with newly revealed fractures in a locker room that usually seems united under Nolan's leadership, the 49ers (2-7) will turn to Dilfer as they attempt to stop their seven-game losing streak Sunday at home against the St. Louis Rams (1-8).

"There's no time for me to be sympathetic [toward Smith]," said Dilfer, who has a close relationship with the former No. 1 draft pick. "My job is to go out and play the best football I can play. ... My relationship with Alex won't change, but I don't have time for that drama or any other type of drama."

Dilfer got his first snaps since 2005 after Smith was injured on the third play of San Francisco's loss to Seattle on Sept. 30. Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl with the Baltimore Ravens after the 2000 season, went 47-of-90 for 463 yards with three touchdown passes and five interceptions for the 49ers.

Smith said his forearm still hurt, and he planned to sit out most of practice Thursday for the second straight day. He acknowledged a bit of regret for airing his communication problems with Nolan in public before discussing them fully with the head coach.

"This is like a family, it's so tight," Smith said. "Mike and I have been close ever since I was drafted. You're going to have disagreements. It's going to happen in any family. It's working through this. Could I have done anything differently? Yeah, maybe. He said I need to communicate better, and I need to."

Smith said he might travel to Alabama to meet with Dr. James Andrews, the noted orthopedist who has reviewed the results of his recent MRIs, but doesn't have any current plans to do so. Smith realizes he could be done for the season.

"It will have to do with what the doctors think is best for the long term," Smith said. "I think the point is to come back when you're functional."

Though Smith's 57.2 passer rating is the worst among all quarterbacks with enough snaps to qualify, it's still higher than Dilfer's 55.0. Those struggling quarterbacks are just two reasons San Francisco's offense is last in the league in several categories.

"I have some major things I need to improve on from the last time I played, so it's time for me to do that," Dilfer said.

Even with a running game finally showing signs of life, the 49ers managed just 173 yards and six first downs in a 24-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Monday night. Two days later, Smith shared his simmering displeasure at being made the fall guy for the 49ers' offensive woes while playing with an injured arm.

But even after meeting with Nolan, Smith still seemed to hold a bit of disappointment at Nolan's repeated declarations that Smith was fully healthy.

"He and I have talked in the past," Smith said. "What I was saying and what he was hearing might have been different. In the future, I'll try to be more clear."

smith definately gone for the season now........perhaps his career as a starter is over too....but should he be blaming Mike for that.

and what would have smith been saying that mike heard different?......"hey coach, my shoulder's ****ed!" that sounds clear as day to me! i guess he wasnt as clear as that.

as a player, if you're not healthy, you owe it to the rest of the team to be honest with yourself and to them.

Some good comments in this thread but to me the main problem with the 49ers is the lack of chemistry.

They have talent, but Gore's comments were telling. The players don't have confidence in the system or the play calling. It doesn't take much to break them down.

Some good comments in this thread but to me the main problem with the 49ers is the lack of chemistry.

They have talent, but Gore's comments were telling. The players don't have confidence in the system or the play calling. It doesn't take much to break them down.

That is it in a nutshell, the 49ers may not have the offensive talent of an NFL powerhouse but it is a lot better than the results are showing.

Depends how you rate talent I guess.

They have talent at the RB, TE & WR positions. At least enough talent to score in the NFC & in particular the West. They've had some bad luck with the the O-Line, but it's more than lack of talent, they just look a rabble atm on offense. Watching them a few weeks ago they seemed to lack any spark. Made some good plays but players just waltz back to their position.

Absolutely no leadership on the offense.

They look like the Raiders 2006.
Going from a hopefuly NFC West powerhouse to a rabble.
How can they regress like that so quickly?
Simply coaching, outdated and ignorant coaching.
And Smith saying what he said about the coach not hearing him, again, this reminds of the problems last year where players were angry that coaches didn't even know their names etc or want to listen to them.

It's also interesting that article because it's the exact same problem that happened last year with the Raiders and Andrew Walter. Thrown to the lions behind a dodgy line trying to play 7-step drops. No wonder Walter looked bad. And imo, RaiderNation generally is wrong to judge Walter not just a system failure but a failure per se as a QB. He had 8 rookie games in a horrendous situation all around, and was then left to feel worthless with Russell signing.

I think Russell has more upside etc and more tools. But it was still wrong imo to use Walter like that. Just draft some young hopeful looking for a stable career in the NFL and just use him as some temp that you weren't really interested in developing and helping him have a career. Not the right way to go about it.

Hey GG, is this in regards to the JR topic you started at rf.net yeah?

and yeah, gotta agree with you on Walter, I am still on the Walter bandwagon, and was a pro-Walter supporter before we drafted JR, still am behind Walter, I believe he has had a raw deal with the Raiders/Kiffin .. he should be given a chance to start if both Culpepper and McCown are stinking it up, and Russell is not ready enough .. I mean, yes he did play like crap last year, but what else would you expect if your taking 7 step drops, you have no Oline and your receivers don't have the seperation to get free for the deep ball (Porter/Curry) or run half ass plays (Moss) ... they didn't even utilise the short routes! ...

But when he did have a solid line and getting shorter routes, he was lighting it up ... like I have been saying before, Walter did not break Elway's College TD record for no reason. I really do believe we should start Walter and see how well he does .. no harm in trying, better then going back to Culpepper/McCown IMO ... plus he has a rapport with Miller ..

It just gets too complicated, and seriously ... I know Al is nearing the end .. but he really needs to stop living in the 70s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and yeah, gotta agree with you on Walter, I am still on the Walter bandwagon, and was a pro-Walter supporter before we drafted JR, still am behind Walter, I believe he has had a raw deal with the Raiders/Kiffin .. he should be given a chance to start if both Culpepper and McCown are stinking it up, and Russell is not ready enough .. I mean, yes he did play like crap last year, but what else would you expect if your taking 7 step drops, you have no Oline and your receivers don't have the seperation to get free for the deep ball (Porter/Curry) or run half ass plays (Moss) ... they didn't even utilise the short routes! ...

But when he did have a solid line and getting shorter routes, he was lighting it up ... like I have been saying before, Walter did not break Elway's College TD record for no reason. I really do believe we should start Walter and see how well he does .. no harm in trying, better then going back to Culpepper/McCown IMO ... plus he has a rapport with Miller ..

It just gets too complicated, and seriously ... I know Al is nearing the end .. but he really needs to stop living in the 70s.

How long has Alex Smith been playing for the Raiders?

Most new QB's would struggle at the 49ers at the moment. They just have next to nothing going for them, shithouse line, new Offensive coach every year, average defense.

They have to build a team around him, after almost 2 years they have yet to do that, they cant expect Smith or their team to start winning any more games until they do that. Gore is also a key but who is behind him?

Brasher.. Hows Lelie going for you guys? Dont know if he is really suited to Smith and the 49er offense. Seems to be a short passing team, whereas Lelie is best down the field and is a big play WR. Got us out of jail many times at the Broncos.

Haven't heard anything about him at San Fran?

Brasher. Hows Lelie going for you guys? Dont know if he is really suited to Smith and the 49er offense. Seems to be a short passing team, whereas Lelie is best down the field and is a big play WR. Got us out of jail many times at the Broncos.

Haven't heard anything about him at San Fran?

Cam...haven't heard much about him becuase he isn't a "Nolan Guy" (doesn't practice the house down) so he hasn't seem much playing time at all.

Smith can get him the ball it is just the plays being called don't permit it and even when they do by the time he takes his 7 step drop and sling it he is mugged.

It's kinda to do with the RFnet thread. But the whole Walter topic i've been on about all year. People more and more now starting to wish Walter got his chance, gets his chance, at least stays on as back-up next year, and that McCown/Culpepper should be cut.

I think Al held onto Walter, because Kiffin's had a thing against Walter all year. Never once genuinely factored him in. Al pulling the reigns on Kiffin from cutting him. In many ways, Al is such a problem with his geriatric mindset, at other times he is a good thing with a wise old head.

How long has Alex Smith been playing for the Raiders?

Alex Smith isn't, but like gg said, it was semi motivated by a thread he started about a Raiders player, in summary, my point is that some guys get a raw deal, especially if they are hyped up and drafted in the first round, its a team sport, one player doesn't change the team. For Smith to be effective, they need to fix their O-Line, gives Gore a chance to make plays, teams will respect the run more, and that way, they can try for the deep balls.

Well I've watched about 80% of Alex Smith's play including a couple of times live since he was drafted I add the following thoughts:
  • 3 Offensive Coordinators in three years. Word coming out of college that once Smith gets the system he will be very good, well the OC merry go round he has experienced has never let him settle and be comfortable with the X and O part of the game. The current OC, is a rookie Coordinator who not only calls terrible plays but is now being questioned about his ability to design plays and install them in the system.
  • A mess of an Offensive Line. Allen on the way out, Smiley and Jennings on IR, a rookie, Staley, at RT, backups now starting, Harris (former 1st rounder) benched and in lasts year of contract.
  • Head Coach Mike Nolan. Nice suit but he is a defense orientated guy and simply does not get offense, his philosophy is to keep the other team to a lower score than your team not to outscore opponents.
  • Bits and Pieces WR Corp. Battle, Lelie, Jackson and Hill (rookie) means opposition defenses have no true playmaker to keep an eye on. Been the case since Owens left. This group is also plagued by dropped balls, poor route running and confusion on how plays are supposed to evolve. Reflection of coaching. Let's not forget major bust former 1st rounder Rashad Woods who was supposed to be the Owens replacement whi isn't evn in the league anymore.
  • Underutilising strengths. No screens, play action, heavy TE involvement (Vernon Davis is held in 80% of the time to block to make up for our turnstyle offensive line). Frank Gore is great catching passes out of the backfield, as is Hicks, Walker and Robinson.....I'm lucky if I see throwing to the RB or TE as a first option called three times in a game. Then again, with the line at the moment, any designed screen play is likely to get Smith killed.
  • Playing Injured and Banged Up Supporting Cast. Seperated his shoulder early and has now admitted he is still not right, might explain all those rainbow and duck throws I've seen recently. On top of his own injury concerns, Gore has been carrying an ankle all year, Vernon Davis a knee, rookie WR Hill a hamspring, not to mention the injuries along the line.
None of these things have helped Smith and have been thrown around as excuses for his performances and regression this year. I defy Brady or Romo to succeed in such circumstances.

However, despite this, much of the talk is that Alex Smith is a bust and unfortunately it maybe on the mark. Regardless of the reasoning and compounding issues, he is not playing like a 1st overall pick...and the worst part after watching the MNF game he has lost his fire and seems like a lost boy amongst men now and that shows in his decision making. An NFL QB needs to have a certain swagger (the reason I already hate the new Cowboy signal caller) Smith simply doesn't have it now. His throwing mechanics are terrible because he has been carrying his shoulder and that shows in his terrible accuracy.

The 49ers have been blessed with some of the greatest QBs in history and offensive displays that are a joy to watch. These days I take my bathroom breaks whenever we have the ball, it is that ugly.

The question is now who will last longer in San Francisco, Alex Smith or Mike Nolan?

Top post Brasher. Agree with all of that. And with what gg and Woody said.
3 OC's in 3 years would be tough for a veteran QB let alone a guy in his first 3 years who is still only 23 yo.

I thought he showed some good signs last season under Norv Turner, 16 TD's, 16 int 75 rating. Much better signs than Couch, Leaf and other high profile failures.

Average receivers, average season by Gore, banged up OL would effect any QB. As Woody points out with Anderson. Anderson lacks mobility and with a crap OL last season he looked ordinary and he wasn't the type to move around too well in the pocket to stay out of trouble. Browns draft a gun LT in Thomas, sign FA guards in Steinbach and McKinney. They also seem to have appointed an excellent OC with some flair. Also helps that he's got some terrific targets.

Give a QB 1) decent OL, 2) decent system and 3) good targets and he looks great. Even 2 of these 3 elements if he's got some basic tools. Kurt Warner, good player, but he had all 3 of those crucial elements at the Rams and he looked Brady-like. What has he really done since, especially without Martz? What about another SB QB , Mark Rypien anyone!!

And if you turned over the NFL version of Alex Smith to Leach -- or to Meyer again -- I guarantee Smith would have better numbers, more wins and a hell of a lot more fun than he's having right now.
The guy who wrote this article is clearly a College guy. Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erikson anyone?!?! Genuis' in college, duds in NFL.

My God are we really that bad?

Every week (except last week of course) since the third round I have looked at NFL.com and had my heart ripped out by another 49ers loss. I know the loss of Alex Smith is a part of this but that Trent Dilfer was sacked 6 times by a defense that has had 10 total sacks for the season before this game and his 4 interceptions is surely a sign that he was coming under pressure a lot which begs to ask... what is going on with the O-Line. I mean, have we had a run of injuries with the offensive line or are they just not up to it? I don't have Foxtel so I am only going off the post-game numbers here.

On a side note, watching the numbers Patrick Willis is looking like he is gonna be a big-time asset to the club. Hope we can hold onto him.

Re: My God are we really that bad?

The worst part about is we will probably end up with a top 5 pick and it goes to the Patriots:eek: Now that is turning in to a blunder of a decision.

The worst part about is we will probably end up with a top 5 pick and it goes to the Patriots:eek: Now that is turning in to a blunder of a decision.

Personally I'm actually cool with that. We picked up Staley who will be our starting LT for years to come, he will have a years experience and cost us mid first round money. Probably better than whay we could get in 2008.

It also means we don't have to pay top 10 money again on an unproven commodity (Smith, Davis)...this team needs continuity and coaching not another high profile draft pick.

Although I would prefer the pick to go elsewhere!:D

if i am not wrong, i believe u still have the colts pick first round pick? or is that sd?

49ers have the Colts pick after trading their 2007 2nd round pick for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back