Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

• USA Today's Mark Schofield said 49ers QB Trey Lance could start "sooner than you think."
    Schofield cites Lance's familiarity with the complex west coast offense play calling verbiage, his accuracy on short and anticipatory throws, and his athleticism as reasons the rookie could take the Niners' starting job in 2021. 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan has famously complicated play calling language that, according to Lance's former QB coach Randy Hedberg, won't trip up the rookie. "We verbalize the play in the huddle, and I think that’s one thing that would be a plus for Trey at the next level. He’s done that in our system, but it does resemble more West Coast than anything," Hedberg said. At North Dakota State, Lance became familiar with many Shanahan stables such as boot action, timing throws, and dump offs to fullbacks and tight ends. Lance's ability to scramble, buy time in the pocket, and take off for even short gains could make him a superior option to pocket passer Jimmy Garoppolo, Schofield said. Look for Lance's average draft position to skyrocket if Shanahan so much as hints that the Week 1 job could be his.
    RELATED: SOURCE: USA Today
    May 7, 2021, 10:21 AM ET

The 49ers are cooling expectations with their 1-2 year timeline. At the moment we've got a rookie QB, who's played 300 FCS college snaps, so they guy is going to take some time..... But how much time is a big unknown

After watching some more tape on Lance I think I was being a bit harsh on him pre draft, he was definitely a prominently one read QB at NDS but that's not to say he wasnt going through reads every now and then and doing it well. He's smarter with the ball I think than I have him credit for.

Ill upgrade my ceiling to DeShaun Watson and keep his floor at 2014 Kaepernick. He's the ultimate boom or bust. Im starting to understand the hype a bit. My Brandon Aiyuk love and fantasy stocks hope it's the former.

Aiyuk is a gun, let's hope he's 2021 is a breakout year
With either Jimmy or Trey passing to him, it will be a big upgrade for Aiyuk. I am expecting big things this season.

Reinforcing the front line will also give the QB more time to pick him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RB Jeff Wilson recently underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscus, sources say. Wilson is expected to miss four to six months, which means he’ll be sidelined through the start of the regular season.

Sermon prospects look good for dynasty considering wilson out and Mostert only being signed for this season. I am liking the pick of him more and more plus throw in Aaron Banks first big Mauler guard 49ers had in awhile.

Sermon prospects look good for dynasty considering wilson out and Mostert only being signed for this season. I am liking the pick of him more and more plus throw in Aaron Banks first big Mauler guard 49ers had in awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised if Elijah Mitchell turns out to be better than Sermon.

49ers LT Justin Skule tore his ACL during Monday's practice.
Skule was the team's first-string left tackle in Trent Williams' absence, according to The Athletic's Matt Barrows. Fifth round pick LT Jaylon Moore is among the candidates to replace Skule, who will probably miss the entire 2021 season. Skule, 24, is signed through the 2022 season.
SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Jun 8, 2021, 11:55 AM ET

The Athletic's Matt Barrows reports 49ers DB Tarvarius Moore tore his Achilles tendon.
Moore had been playing strong safety before the injury, which will likely end his 2021 season. The Niners' No. 95 pick in the 2018 draft, Moore shifted to safety after playing cornerback in college. He'll be an unrestricted free agent in 2022.
SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter
Jun 8, 2021, 11:51 AM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back