Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

49ers have lost three games where the bounce of the ball just doesn't go their way. Today off the top of my head:

- the Lance goal line stop with the clear leading with the helmet from the Cards defender.
- the fumble where the Cards TE was badly hurt was a fumble and recovery.
- following the last quarter fumble recovery, the most gawd awful 4 consecutive play calls in the Shanahan era.
- on Lance's interception he could have strolled for a 1st down or even dumped it off to the FB for a bigger gain but instead decided to sail it over Aiyuk's head for the interception.
- clear penalties not being called (the Juice QB sneak had two cards defenders standing in the neutral zone, offensive holding becoming a thing for the first time this year, the safety non call etc etc).

Then there is the play calling, no bootlegs, giving up on feeding Mitchell, telegraphing play calls with alignments and shifts that aren't fooling anyone and going for it on 4th down at odd times.

Thought we played pretty well after the first drive (int that results in a TD drive) - just not well enough with the moments that matter arrived.

I think we were 1/5 on 4th down and something similar on 3 down.

I'm always a "go for it" on 4th and short, but I was ruing those 2 drives we turned down field goals in the first half, especially when we were down 10 late.

Defence was good, and the Offence was ok keeping the cards off the field - just couldn't seal the deal.

I'm not putting a line through the season yet. It's disappointing, but we can still get something out of the year - we just need to hang tough and get some wins in the next few games after the bye.

Then there is the play calling, no bootlegs, giving up on feeding Mitchell, telegraphing play calls with alignments and shifts that aren't fooling anyone and going for it on 4th down at odd times.

When in doubt, bootleg the hell out of them - a remember the Goff Rams limited offence doing it against the Seahawks 2 years ago, and they were unstoppable.

Thought we played pretty well after the first drive (int that results in a TD drive) - just not well enough with the moments that matter arrived.

I think we were 1/5 on 4th down and something similar on 3 down.

I'm always a "go for it" on 4th and short, but I was ruing those 2 drives we turned down field goals in the first half, especially when we were down 10 late.

Defence was good, and the Offence was ok keeping the cards off the field - just couldn't seal the deal.

I'm not putting a line through the season yet. It's disappointing, but we can still get something out of the year - we just need to hang tough and get some wins in the next few games after the bye.

Other than the first half against the Lions the offense has been Ok moving the ball but can't score consistently....also been subject to a bit of boom or bust, its either a long methodical drive or a 3 and out.

This is really unacceptable since this is Shanahan's team now and has been healthy for most of the season....the supposed offensive guru just isn't showing....Im not even seeing well executed plays that scheme players open anymore.

When in doubt, bootleg the hell out of them - a remember the Goff Rams limited offence doing it against the Seahawks 2 years ago, and they were unstoppable.

The Cards are not a disciplined defensive team this would have driven them crazy on the field. In fact, it would have worked equally well against the Packers and Seahawks.

Shanahan called more designated between the tackle runs for Lance than he did for Mitchell.

The Cards are not a disciplined defensive team this would have driven them crazy on the field. In fact, it would have worked equally well against the Packers and Seahawks.

Shanahan called more designated between the tackle runs for Lance than he did for Mitchell.
It's a good way to send him to the IR with everyone else

Other than the first half against the Lions the offense has been Ok moving the ball but can't score consistently....also been subject to a bit of boom or bust, its either a long methodical drive or a 3 and out.

This is really unacceptable since this is Shanahan's team now and has been healthy for most of the season....the supposed offensive guru just isn't showing....Im not even seeing well executed plays that scheme players open anymore.

Maybe not so much an epiphany as a coming out of the closet moment.

As our sole podcast subscriber you would have noted my concern about Shanahan and his ego..specifically, his desire to scheme offensive wins rather than let the talent of his roster show out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not so much an epiphany as a coming out of the closet moment.

As our sole podcast subscriber you would have noted my concern about Shanahan and his ego..specifically, his desire to scheme offensive wins rather than let the talent of his roster show out.

Im just glad one of the niners fans isn't letting him get away with this s**t. Happy to see him being called out.

Im just glad one of the niners fans isn't letting him get away with this sh*t. Happy to see him being called out.

Think there are a couple of others here too.....the defense is decimated again with injuries with a rookie DC and playing well.

Please don't tell me that Mostert is the difference on offense....and in that regard, Mitchell looked pretty spritely.

And as far as the right side of the line goes, McGlinchey was a pick under your control as was the Dancing Bench Warmer Banks who was supposed to be a plug and play RG. Could have drafted Samuels II.

Think there are a couple of others here too.....the defense is decimated again with injuries with a rookie DC and playing well.

Please don't tell me that Mostert is the difference on offense....and in that regard, Mitchell looked pretty spritely.

And as far as the right side of the line goes, McGlinchey was a pick under your control as was the Dancing Bench Warmer Banks who was supposed to be a plug and play RG. Could have drafted Samuels II.

defense has been fantastic honestly. The rookie DC should be very proud with how he has them playing.

defense has been fantastic honestly. The rookie DC should be very proud with how he has them playing.
When we forced the fumble in the 4th with the ball at midfield and the chance to take the lead I thought we'd turned the corner, but not getting the first down, then conceeded the TD was the killer blow.

When we forced the fumble in the 4th with the ball at midfield and the chance to take the lead I thought we'd turned the corner, but not getting the first down, then conceeded the TD was the killer blow.

Inditement on Kyle that he couldn't even use the element of surprise/something far different from the Niners norm against the Cards with Lance having his first start to get the offense going in this game, people can say Lances isn't ready but that s**t coaching and development from a supposed offensive guru, where is the scheme big brain boy?

Lance has a knee sprain..... Both he and Jimmy should be available for the Colts after the bye (or neither the way our injuries are playing out)

Strong words...

Martellus Bennett piles on Jimmy Garoppolo

Posted by Mike Florio on October 22, 2021, 4:50 PM EDT

After the 49ers traded up in the draft and signaled that the end was coming for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, former Patriots tight end Jermaine Wiggins said that New England teammates wondered whether they could depend on Garoppolo. One of those teammates clearly was former Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett.

Appearing on the Double Coverage podcast with Jason and Devin McCourty, Bennett had some strong comments about Garoppolo’s performance in 2016, when Tom Brady served a four-game #deflategate suspension.

“Bro, we lost two games [without Brady],” Bennett told the McCourtys, via NBCSportsBoston.com. (Actually, they lost only one game during Brady’s absence.) “One of them was because Jimmy Garoppolo was being a bitch. He decided not to play right before the game. Jacoby [Brissett] came out and played with a f–ked up thumb and played his heart out, but Jimmy was just being a bitch about it all.

“That’s why he . . . you can’t win with a bitch for a quarterback, first of all. That was the whole thing with him. He didn’t want to come out and do anything because his agent was trying to protect his body or some s**t like that. Which, I can’t fault him for that. But like, you should have made that decision on Thursday. Now it’s Sunday.

“So anyways, he’s not going out there, so now Jacoby straps up and we lost to the Buffalo Bills. We shouldn’t have lost. It was just last-minute, trying to make adjustments for what Jacoby could do.”

Bennett said what he said, believes what he believes. Those are his words, not ours. But it’s fair to consider the unvarnished remarks of someone who played with Garoppolo.

The problem for the 49ers is that rookie quarterback Trey Lance hasn’t performed well enough to get the locker room behind him. Thus, regardless of what Bennett or other members of the 2016 Patriots may think of Garoppolo, the 49ers players still think Garoppolo gives them the best chance to win game. Even if they’ve only won two of five in 2021.

Strong words...

Martellus Bennett piles on Jimmy Garoppolo

Posted by Mike Florio on October 22, 2021, 4:50 PM EDT

After the 49ers traded up in the draft and signaled that the end was coming for quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, former Patriots tight end Jermaine Wiggins said that New England teammates wondered whether they could depend on Garoppolo. One of those teammates clearly was former Patriots tight end Martellus Bennett.

Appearing on the Double Coverage podcast with Jason and Devin McCourty, Bennett had some strong comments about Garoppolo’s performance in 2016, when Tom Brady served a four-game #deflategate suspension.

“Bro, we lost two games [without Brady],” Bennett told the McCourtys, via NBCSportsBoston.com. (Actually, they lost only one game during Brady’s absence.) “One of them was because Jimmy Garoppolo was being a b*tch. He decided not to play right before the game. Jacoby [Brissett] came out and played with a f–ked up thumb and played his heart out, but Jimmy was just being a b*tch about it all.

“That’s why he . . . you can’t win with a b*tch for a quarterback, first of all. That was the whole thing with him. He didn’t want to come out and do anything because his agent was trying to protect his body or some sh*t like that. Which, I can’t fault him for that. But like, you should have made that decision on Thursday. Now it’s Sunday.

“So anyways, he’s not going out there, so now Jacoby straps up and we lost to the Buffalo Bills. We shouldn’t have lost. It was just last-minute, trying to make adjustments for what Jacoby could do.”

Bennett said what he said, believes what he believes. Those are his words, not ours. But it’s fair to consider the unvarnished remarks of someone who played with Garoppolo.

The problem for the 49ers is that rookie quarterback Trey Lance hasn’t performed well enough to get the locker room behind him. Thus, regardless of what Bennett or other members of the 2016 Patriots may think of Garoppolo, the 49ers players still think Garoppolo gives them the best chance to win game. Even if they’ve only won two of five in 2021.

Martellus Bennett has always been a Muppet his just confirms it even more. Remember him saying Jon Kitna deserved to start over Romo, then there was his black Olympics video which was horrible his three Events were A fried chicken eating contest, a kool-aid drinking contest and a watermelon eating contest. Really shouldn't talk about other people when his done that.

Plus that year Jimmy G was hurt with a sprained ac joint from what i remember i have no problem with athletes not playing especially someone like jimmy G who has trouble staying healthy especially when Patriots were wanting to trade him so how does he know it wasn't the patriots telling him not to play to keep his trade value.

Martellus lives in a world of strong opinion and controversy , this is nothing new from him. This story hold far less weight coming from him than someone you dont hear these sorts of things from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back