sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
And with the signing of Jimmy G I do want to temper the Superbowl conversation.

To me talk of them winning it next year are misguided, it's really how many in a row they'll win is more relevant
I don't think that we will win the superbowl next year either. However I am much more confident than previously that we will show improvement. Lynch and Shanahan seem to be building a team to be in contention.

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
I don't think that we will win the superbowl next year either. However I am much more confident than previously that we will show improvement. Lynch and Shanahan seem to be building a team to be in contention.

Not many people had the eagles winning it this year from where they finished last year.

Fewer people had atlanta making the superbowl at the start of the season before

Same with the panthers making the superbowl at the start of the year before that.

The NFC has seen teams rise from mediocre positions to quickly reach the superbowl

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Not many people had the eagles winning it this year from where they finished last year.

Fewer people had atlanta making the superbowl at the start of the season before

Same with the panthers making the superbowl at the start of the year before that.

The NFC has seen teams rise from mediocre positions to quickly reach the superbowl
A fair point, but I don't want to raise expectations too high. Improvement is what I am looking for. We just need to win more games and i'll be happy. Reaching the playoffs would be a bonus.

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Dammit ! Every time I see a player talked about for the 49ers (Chubb, Edmunds, Price, R Smith etc) I seem to immediately see him mocked as going before the 49ers pick in drafts on the net. Maybe niners fans should stop talking about who we might take with our first pick.

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Dammit ! Every time I see a player talked about for the 49ers (Chubb, Edmunds, Price, R Smith etc) I seem to immediately see him mocked as going before the 49ers pick in drafts on the net. Maybe niners fans should stop talking about who we might take with our first pick.

Biggest hope for the 9ers is that the top 5 touted qbs all go before the 9ers pick...that would guarantee one of the top 5 non qbs would be there for them and you could pick from whos left put of barkley, chubb, fitzpatrick, nelson and edmunds

I have a slightly different take....my biggest hope is that a QB is still there that another team coverts at the 49er pick and trades up with them to get him.

Even if 3-4 QBs go before the 49ers pick that still probably means Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Barkley, Nelson, maybe even Smith are off the board. The 49ers could be in a position of having multiple choices at a position of need that also fits BPA. For DB, LB or offensive lineman there is little in difference between the talent of the next tier of prospects.

It may come down to personal choice but just a good a talent could be had late in the 1st round as there is at 9 or 10.

Of course we haven't accounted for the 2 or 3 draft bolters that will force their way into the top 10 following the combine and organised pro days.

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Biggest hope for the 9ers is that the top 5 touted qbs all go before the 9ers pick...that would guarantee one of the top 5 non qbs would be there for them and you could pick from whos left put of barkley, chubb, fitzpatrick, nelson and edmunds
Now THAT is a scenario I would like. So much depends on what happens in free agency however. Watch the mock drafts change when free agency has concluded !

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
I was just looking at a site called "Niner's Wire" and noticed that they seemed to be a bit different to some of the other sites when it came to the draft. They had the niners selecting players such as James, Van Der Esch, Gisecki and Corbett in the draft. What do other niners fans think of that as a draft ?

I was just looking at a site called "Niner's Wire" and noticed that they seemed to be a bit different to some of the other sites when it came to the draft. They had the niners selecting players such as James, Van Der Esch, Gisecki and Corbett in the draft. What do other niners fans think of that as a draft ?
Best WR or CB

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
So does signing Sherman mean that we are less likely to draft a cornerback ? I hope that we can get a centre or other inside offensive lineman in free agency as well, then look at the wide receiver, running back , pass rusher and linebacker positions in the draft.

So does signing Sherman mean that we are less likely to draft a cornerback ? I hope that we can get a centre or other inside offensive lineman in free agency as well, then look at the wide receiver, running back , pass rusher and linebacker positions in the draft.

I think they will target more guys maybe a second tier CB FA veteran and spend a 3rd or 4th on a prospect. It is a bit thin back there still, really need Ward and Tartt to establish themselves for the long term and avoid the injury bug. I still also want them to bring back Reid.

The more FA starter roles they fill the more flex in the draft....pass rushing DE is the key move with its unlikely for the 49ers to have a blue chip option presented (either in FA or draft).

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
I think they will target more guys maybe a second tier CB FA veteran and spend a 3rd or 4th on a prospect. It is a bit thin back there still, really need Ward and Tartt to establish themselves for the long term and avoid the injury bug. I still also want them to bring back Reid.

The more FA starter roles they fill the more flex in the draft....pass rushing DE is the key move with its unlikely for the 49ers to have a blue chip option presented (either in FA or draft).
Yes I have hopes that Pita T (I can't spell his name) or that other young pass rusher we got last year can do the job, at least for a year. I would hope that we can get a good centre or other inside lineman in free agency.

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Latest story at "Niner's Nation" is that the 49ers will sign centre/guard Weston Richburg. The 49ers certainly need a better centre than Kilgore, and Richburg has been mentioned as a possible signing for a while. I hope it happens !

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/13/17117688/nfl-free-agency-rumors-jordy-nelson-49ers

The Green Bay Packers released wide receiver Jordy Nelson Tuesday afternoon, and it is believed that the San Francisco 49ers will be one of the teams that make a push to sign the veteran. Yahoo! reporter Jordan Schultz tweeted on Tuesday that the 49ers are one of at least five teams that will pursue Nelson.

Would be a great get for the short term.

Jimmy G, Nelson & Sherman being added of recent time would give us a realistic attempt at playoffs next season imo

Supposed to be a done deal, although I wouldn't call the rumored 5 year deal a short term. This is a signing that makes the team stronger in multiple ways, provided Richburg stays healthy, they can move Kilgore to compete at guard.

Now where to find that pass rush and linebacking depth?

sydney eagle

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Sydney Rabbitohs
Well the niners have got Richberg and also running back Jerrick McKinnon. These seem to be signings in important positions (centre and running back) on the offence. Could we be going for a pass rusher or an inside linebacker in the draft first up ?

Niners obviously got their eye on someone in the draft to pair with McKinnon after releasing Hyde, big contract for a scatback, having said that they can be very effective weapons in a Kyle Shanahan offense, think Tevin Coleman.

Niners obviously got their eye on someone in the draft to pair with McKinnon after releasing Hyde, big contract for a scatback, having said that they can be very effective weapons in a Kyle Shanahan offense, think Tevin Coleman.
Coleman would be a great get.

Happy Hyde left, never been a fan of his.

Back