Teams San Francisco 49ers - The Niners

Remove this Banner Ad

Coleman would be a great get.

Happy Hyde left, never been a fan of his.

Na mate, I'm comparing McKinnon with Coleman similar players, good pass catchers etc

49ers are assembling an offensive skill set at RB, TE and WR that is becoming plug and play, no stand out super stars just guys willing to play their role as part of a bigger unit.

Makes salary cap and continuity of scheme a lot easier with no huge contracts, spread the love, spread the ball, spread the money.

Yeah still need a banger, but Jet will be a good pick up, you'll enjoy watching him.

Agree and I think you could literally throw a dart at your 3-5 round board and hit one.

Given that most people seem to think that the 49ers need inside linemen, what about the possibility of Billy Price or Frank Ragnow ( Generally considered the two best young centres in the draft) being our first round pick ? Most people consider it to be a reach at pick 9 but , as the 49ers need inside linemen and that there is no guarantee that either of these players will be available at their second pick, maybe it is a reach worth taking ?

Not a fan of reaching for a guard at 9. I'm not even sure I want Nelson at 9 if he was available...if the 49ers think they need more guards then end of the 2nd or 3rd will still find guys who could eventually start.

I'm hoping for a trade down (Wynn?), LB Smith or a RDE if they genuinely think their guy is there (Landry?). I'd hate for them to reach for position of need. This team needs elite starters not good solid journeymen...the team has too many of the them already.

Best part of all the QB hype in the top half dozen picks is an elite starter at a position of need is very likely to land in the 49ers lap.

The recent signing of a guard (Cooper) makes it more likely that someone like R Smith or Edmunds is our pick at nine (if the Niners can't trade down). I'd still be interested in someone like Price, Ragnow or Wynn if they were available at the 49er's second round pick, but I don't really expect that to happen.

The recent signing of a guard (Cooper) makes it more likely that someone like R Smith or Edmunds is our pick at nine (if the Niners can't trade down). I'd still be interested in someone like Price, Ragnow or Wynn if they were available at the 49er's second round pick, but I don't really expect that to happen.

I think Edmunds, Landry or Davenport will be the pick. You cant pick up pass rushers in FA. (Edmunds is a LB with pass rush potential).

I think Edmunds, Landry or Davenport will be the pick. You cant pick up pass rushers in FA. (Edmunds is a LB with pass rush potential).
That looks likely. The other possibility I see at 9 is R Smith. Davenport is a guy who was heavily mocked to the 49ers early , but not since we signed Sherman. It could happen, but seems less likely that we will take a Defensive Back at pick 9 now.

That looks likely. The other possibility I see at 9 is R Smith. Davenport is a guy who was heavily mocked to the 49ers early , but not since we signed Sherman. It could happen, but seems less likely that we will take a Defensive Back at pick 9 now.

if its smith or Edmunds I prefer Edmunds. he's not as polished yet but the man's and athletic freak.

if its smith or Edmunds I prefer Edmunds. he's not as polished yet but the man's and athletic freak.

I still like Smith..he is Patrick Willis Mark II and that worked out OK.

Personally, for mind he is the only sure can't miss pick in the Top 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who’s running the show in San Francisco?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2018, 4:34 PM EDT
gettyimages-889687086-e1522010030446.jpg

Getty Images

The recent comments from 49ers G.M. John Lynch about 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan being “in mourning” following the trade that brought quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo to town raises an intriguing question about the power structure in San Francisco: Who’s really running the show?

The manner in which Lynch was hired — he called Shanahan unsolicited to discuss the possibility at a time when everyone knew Shanahan would be the next coach — created the impression that Shanahan would be the boss, and that Lynch would be the table setter. The notion that Shanahan was “in mourning” about the disruption to his supposed “master plan” to acquire Kirk Cousins in free agency invites speculation that maybe Shanahan isn’t really running show, after all.

The truth may be that he is, but that he reluctantly realized that the best option for the franchise was to roll the dice on Garoppolo, giving up a second-round pick for the chance to evaluate whether keeping him made more sense than pursuing Cousins. If Garoppolo hadn’t panned out, they could have let him leave in free agency (getting strong consideration for compensatory draft picks in 2019) or attempted a tag and trade.

Then there’s the fact that, as of late October, it wasn’t clear that Cousins would even be available. Indeed, if the 49ers hadn’t acquired Garoppolo, Washington may have been less inclined to let Cousins hit the open market by not applying the franchise tag, motivated by a desire to keep Cousins and Shanahan from being reunited. (Yes, it would have been very petty for Washington to do that. But if you think Washington wouldn’t have at least considered doing that, you haven’t been paying close attention to that team in recent years.)

Whatever the reasoning, it makes sense to keep an eye on the broader power dynamic as the post-Baalke-Harbaugh-Tomsula-Kelly 49ers continue to develop. Of course, if the team keeps performing like it did late in the 2017 season, it won’t matter who’s making the decisions, because it will mean they’ve been making great decisions.

I knew you would post this GG.exe

Just knew it!

The fact is the 49ers have a plan to return to relevance....this plan included the vision of taking Cousins in free agency. I have no doubt inside the walls of 49ers Headquarters outside of the prying eyes of NFL tampering officials you will find the outline of a quickly erased Cousins' name on a white board somewhere too.

Then out of nowhere Garoppolo is available...like any good management team they think on the their feet and grab the opportunity with minimal downside. The article doesn't mention that the 49ers inquired about Garoppolo last off season?

I knew you would post this GG.exe

Just knew it!

The fact is the 49ers have a plan to return to relevance....this plan included the vision of taking Cousins in free agency. I have no doubt inside the walls of 49ers Headquarters outside of the prying eyes of NFL tampering officials you will find the outline of a quickly erased Cousins' name on a white board somewhere too.

Then out of nowhere Garoppolo is available...like any good management team they think on the their feet and grab the opportunity with minimal downside. The article doesn't mention that the 49ers inquired about Garoppolo last off season?

It's just an odd thing to say "in mourning". Suggesting some friction there.

Kawakami: The 49ers should've cut Reuben Foster today, and every day they don't reveals so much about this team

By Tim Kawakami Apr 12, 2018 86

If John Lynch, Kyle Shanahan and Jed York had been operating at their fullest logical, rational capabilities this morning, the 49ers would've released Reuben Foster hours before his scheduled arraignment on three felony domestic violence and weapons counts at 1:30 p.m. today in San Jose.

They would've said: We tried, we really liked him, we supported him, but we have to stand for something here.

But no, they held off on that. At least for now. Which tells a lot more about this regime than maybe the 49ers want us to know.

If the 49ers braintrust had just taken one step back, read the Santa Clara County District Attorney's description of that Feb. 11 incident, and thought about what the DA says happened to the victim, then the decision should have been simple.

Not easy, in a football sense, but simple.

It should have been morally and ethically clear. It should have backed up everything that Lynch and Shanahan have talked about since they took over the 49ers last year — about building this back up with quality individuals who care about their teammates, their team and their community.

It should not have been delayed, avoided, deflected or blandly put aside. And yet, the 49ers ducked the main issue today. Just decided not to do anything, with the football universe watching.

Here's the entirety of what the 49ers released at 9:58 a.m. today, a little more than an hour after the charges were filed:

“The 49ers organization is aware of today’s disturbing charges regarding Reuben Foster. We will continue to follow this serious matter. Reuben is aware that his place in our organization is under great scrutiny and will depend on what is learned through the legal process.”

Note: If you can't put your owner's name, your general manager's name or your coach's name on a statement about a critical situation involving a player's actions, then it's not really a statement that means much at all.

Other than, Foster is still a 49er and likely will remain a 49er through next week's start of the offseason program and beyond; and whether he's encouraged to stay away from the facility next week, we shall see.

Actually, the tone of the statement does tell us a lot about the 49ers' stance on Foster, which follows weeks of the 49ers quietly indicating that they believed in Foster and believed that a deep investigation of the incident (and also of his marijuana arrest in Alabama in January) would show that he did nothing that merited severe punishment.

By mentioning “learned through the legal process,” the 49ers — whoever wrote that statement and whoever is making this final decision — seem to be suggesting that they believe there are other details that might put this situation into a better light.

And there certainly could be things that have not yet been made public. But the DA also must know these things and the DA choose to levy the charges, and include the horrific details of Foster allegedly “leaving her with a punctured eardrum” after punching his girlfriend in the head “8 to 10 times.”

Are the 49ers suggesting that the DA is wrong? That the public evidence has been skewed against their player? That they believe Foster is probably innocent — factually, legally innocent?

If so, then the 49ers are essentially becoming part of Foster's defense team on this, at least from a public-relations standpoint, and I am not sure any professional organization should be doing that.

Because if the case turns out the way the DA believes it will go in court, then the 49ers — Lynch, Shanhan and York, specifically — will look foolish and the entire organization will be severely weakened, after all the momentum built up by the new energy, the acquisition of Jimmy Garoppolo, and the 5-0 finish last season.

This is the way to kill a lot of that, by refusing to make the tough call when you have to and by letting things slide because you want to keep a talented player. How do you hold the line on any other player's behavior when they're all looking at how the 49ers deflected and delayed on Foster?

Also, I heard all of this whispered “if you knew the real story, you'd know it's not that serious” stuff throughout the 49ers' error-strewn and disastrous handling of the legal situations involving Aldon Smith and Ray McDonald. Each time, the whispers were wrong, by the way.

Granted, that was before Lynch and Shanahan took over, but it still involved this same franchise, this same owner, and this same obvious unwillingness to take a hard line on very talented players. And it corrupted everything about the franchise, which I would think the 49ers brass would understand right now.
Maybe they will understand it, eventually. Maybe Lynch, Shanahan and York just need some time to absorb this all.

They absolutely did not expect the DA to come down this hard on Foster today. Maybe Lynch, Shanahan and York got bad information. Maybe they misread the DA entirely. Maybe they trusted Foster's account too much and believed what they wanted to believe.

It's probably all of those factors, and it's why Foster wasn't released back in February. We all know that the 49ers didn't mind pointing to the precedent set when they cut cornerback Tramaine Brock a day after his April 2017 domestic violence arrest (charges were eventually dropped).

Lynch suggested recently that Foster and Brock were not treated differently just because Foster was a young star and Brock was probably on his way out, then, anyway. He implied that there's a consistent way the 49ers handle these situations.

But now Foster has been hit with felony charges. The details, as released by the DA, are ugly. And Foster is still on the team. Yes, the 49ers have invested a lot into Foster, and yes, he's a very promising player. He's also potentially headed towards a jail term. He's also a symbol of who the 49ers are, and the corners they're willing to cut, until and unless they release him or tell us exactly why they haven't.

“I think everything has to be case-by-case because no incident is the same and no situation is the same,” York said in an interview with The Athletic's David Lombardi and NBC Sports Bay Area's Matt Maiocco at last month's NFL owners meetings. “I think we have certainly made mistakes in the past because we’ve been too lenient.”

If the 49ers are comfortable watching their player get marched into a courtroom, and if they're comfortable with the details of this incident, then maybe we have to adjust most of what we thought about Lynch and Shanahan. And go back to what we knew about York.

Shouldn't the 49ers (and everyone else) presume that Foster is innocent until the court case is concluded ? Time to decide what to do after the case has been decided.

To be honest I am happy for him to be presumed guilty right now as long as the punishment (which will impact him for a lot longer in his life than just the length of any jail term) isn't dealt out until the "presumed" bit is proven one way or the other.

I reckon the info the 49ers have differs from what the DA has and therefore he is still on the list. If he really did punch her 7-8 times in the head I'm surprised she wasn't knocked out with a busted face.

I've got no issue with waiting to see what happens. If they cut him he wont last 5 minutes before he is signed elsewhere and they get nothing.

So McGlinchey is the first round pick. I would have thought that they would go for a guard or a centre rather than a tackle, but I guess many people thought that would be too much of a reach. I notice that two of the top centres (Price and Ragnow) went later in round one however. Now we'll see what happens tomorrow in round two (where the 49ers don't have a high pick).

It looks as if the 49ers are going to try and strengthen their offensive line in free agency. There look to be four free agents who could play there on their list at the moment.

It looks as if the 49ers are going to try and strengthen their offensive line in free agency. There look to be four free agents who could play there on their list at the moment.

They have plenty of cattle and "on paper" talent for the line....there are now 5 first rounders competing for spots and their big FA signing Richburg.

I think the way they drafted and what they saw during the mini camp gave an insight into how they see the roster developing.

Brown shows up out of shape again so he gets his replacement drafted and gets shipped off. One less distraction.
No guard taken so they must be satisfied with Garnett, Tomlinson, Cooper competing to start.
No running back taken in the draft so they must like what they see with Joe Williams (if he comes in head straight and can hold onto the ball).
Pass rush. Clearly they don't think anyone in the draft they had access to is better what then they already have so why waste collateral picking rookies who wont win a starting job anyway.
With Brown gone the only team distraction is Foster. Far cry from two years ago.

Perception of what teams in the draft and how they develop seems to have changed a lot in recent years.

Firstly, apparently all you have to is pick a position of need and you have accomplished your job as a GM....doesn't matter if they are not better than what you already have on the roster.
Secondly, if you don't win a starting position in your rookie year you are a bust. People forget that the 49ers had as many as 14 players, half of them project starters on IR last year. Guys like Joe Williams and Garnett will determine how good the 49ers are this year.

No running back drafted but they did get McKinnon in free agency. He seems to be a smaller type of running back, the shifty type perhaps, which could mean a different approach to the way the position is used, or we'll see more of Jusczyck running the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back