Constantgin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 6, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFG , Pacers, ND, Gunners
Problem was 49ers already given up 3 1st rounders to get to 3. They really couldn't offer more for a 37 year QB.

As for staying a 12. Rather a team trade up to get a QB than stay put and miss out. I would of been gutted if we stayed at 12 and all qbs were gone.

Now Lance needs to turn into Mahomes for the trade to be good long term.

Problem was 49ers already given up 3 1st rounders to get to 3. They really couldn't offer more for a 37 year QB.

As for staying a 12. Rather a team trade up to get a QB than stay put and miss out. I would of been gutted if we stayed at 12 and all qbs were gone.

Now Lance needs to turn into Mahomes for the trade to be good long term.

I don't see Mahomes, my pro comparison funnily enough is Colin Kaepernick. Genuinely reckon hes almost identical.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Kaepernick and Mahones are/were both dual threats. Mahones has taken it to another level.

Lance offers that but hell, he is only 20/21 and opted out for most of last season so hard to pin point his likeness. We have arguably the best offensive coach in Kyle and I back him in to making the most of a weapon like Lance.

Mond is more Kaepernick
Lance is more like a faster McNair

Mond doesn't have Kaeps wheels or long legs like Lance. Both throw a mean deep ball too.

Me saying Kaep doesn't mean hell be a bust, just that he shares some characteristics and traits in his play.

I don't see Mahomes, my pro comparison funnily enough is Colin Kaepernick. Genuinely reckon hes almost identical.
If he has games anything like Kaeps 2012 divisional round game v the Packers I won't be complaining

If he has games anything like Kaeps 2012 divisional round game v the Packers I won't be complaining

That's what I mean, I'm not saying its bad necessarily, Kaeps best was pretty bloody good. Hes just going to need to evolve more as a passer for longevity.

That's what I mean, I'm not saying its bad necessarily, Kaeps best was pretty bloody good. Hes just going to need to evolve more as a passer for longevity.
Kaep was a decent player, even in his last year in SF he was alright

Just not trading away 3 years worth of 1st rounders alright though!

Kaep was a decent player, even in his last year in SF he was alright

Just not trading away 3 years worth of 1st rounders alright though!

He didn't evolve as a passer, teams figured him out and he had no other tricks. That was part of the problem. Lance could, but he needs time.

He didn't evolve as a passer, teams figured him out and he had no other tricks. That was part of the problem. Lance could, but he needs time.

Exhibit A

As some know I hate grading drafts 10 seconds after they are complete. I also think good teams look at the draft as an ongoing process not a one year quick fix.

If you look at the 49ers draft (and trade) in isolation it is a massive risk with a few head scratchers. Giving up on the first round for the next two years is big, drafting 2 running backs, not taking a slot WR etc.

But if you look at this draft as a stepping stone for the next few years then you could argue:

- the existing RB group are all FAs after this season....given Mostert has already made noises about being paid then is it impossible to imagine a starting RB pair of Sermon and Mitchell in 2022. Their skill sets project as a great combo down the line.
- Lance is the big ? If he succeeds the 49ers can trade Garoppolo, claw back salary cap and stitch up their own core FAs to long term deals. Probably sign a couple of quality FAs as well which would make the loss of those 1st round picks not such a big deal.
- the 49ers drafted with the intent of the player making the team. They didn't draft a slot WR for example because they didn't believe there was anyone available when they wanted to pick one that was better than what they already had.

Having said all that, injuries has been this club's Achilles Heal. It was good to see that Lynch and Shanahan admitted they had learnt from bringing in injured players (both in the draft and FA).

My thoughts on the 49ers trade and QB selection process:

- The 49ers genuinely did not know which QB to take before the trade.
- They made the trade so they could put themselves in a position to go and get the QB they believe can run the franchise for the next decade and a half.
- This was done because they simply can not rely on Jimmy G's health as a constant.
- The 49ers actually tried hard to get to the No 2 spot so they could include Wilson in their evaluation.
- It was always between Lance and Fields once they traded to 3, Jones was the backup plan in case they didn't like what they saw with the first two.

Personally, I think the big loser is the Jets. They should have given Darnold one more year and taken the 49ers trade (might have gotten even more out of it) and provide a massive injection of talent over the next 3 years of rebuild.

My thoughts on the 49ers trade and QB selection process:

- The 49ers genuinely did not know which QB to take before the trade.
- They made the trade so they could put themselves in a position to go and get the QB they believe can run the franchise for the next decade and a half.
- This was done because they simply can not rely on Jimmy G's health as a constant.
- The 49ers actually tried hard to get to the No 2 spot so they could include Wilson in their evaluation.
- It was always between Lance and Fields once they traded to 3, Jones was the backup plan in case they didn't like what they saw with the first two.

Personally, I think the big loser is the Jets. They should have given Darnold one more year and taken the 49ers trade (might have gotten even more out of it) and provide a massive injection of talent over the next 3 years of rebuild.

All makes sense to me. Good run down. 👍

All makes sense to me. Good run down. 👍

Oh....I forgot to add....if Lance is as written on the box then those 2 1st round draft picks are worth 20m in salary space.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers believed No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance was "the smartest quarterback in this draft" and "the most ready to play right away."
Lance being the most intelligent quarterback in the draft is something Schefter passed along on NFL Live during the week leading up to the first round. Being "ready to play right away," though suggests the exact opposite of what Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have said about Jimmy Garoppolo throughout the process. The 49ers are still reportedly asking for at least one first-round pick in exchange for the 29-year-old, but it still seems likely he's off the roster by the time camp begins. Lance remains an intriguing high-end QB2 assuming he's given the nod for all 17 games.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Brett Kollmann on Twitter
May 3, 2021, 2:14 PM ET

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers believed No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance was "the smartest quarterback in this draft" and "the most ready to play right away."
Lance being the most intelligent quarterback in the draft is something Schefter passed along on NFL Live during the week leading up to the first round. Being "ready to play right away," though suggests the exact opposite of what Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch have said about Jimmy Garoppolo throughout the process. The 49ers are still reportedly asking for at least one first-round pick in exchange for the 29-year-old, but it still seems likely he's off the roster by the time camp begins. Lance remains an intriguing high-end QB2 assuming he's given the nod for all 17 games.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Brett Kollmann on Twitter
May 3, 2021, 2:14 PM ET

Most ready to play? People say anything to win the media spin

Most ready to play...relative to the other QBs in the class is not the same as saying he is NFL starter material yet. You can have both.

Do you think he's more ready than any of the others taken in round 1 ?

I don't see it myself. The other guys are far more polished imo.

Do you think he's more ready than any of the others taken in round 1 ?

I don't see it myself. The other guys are far more polished imo.

I think he is miles off....he has every attribute required to be a great QB but he suffers from the lack of in game heat of battle experience, his accuracy is not good enough yet and his throwing motion is not as efficient as it can be, These can be coached.

On the plus side, other than possessing all the mental, physical and work traits needed to succeed he did take a lot of snaps under centre and executed the play action stuff regularly. This means he had to turn his back to the defense and re-establish his footwork and eyes on those plays...and this is on film and would have been evaluated.

None of the other highly rated guys have demonstrated this....they have played nearly all their college career out of the shotgun or pistol not having to take their eyes off of the opposing defenses. Until they show they can handle it, its an unknown.

This might be the reasoning behind the comments about being the most ready.

Last edited:

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
The actual picks in a handy table:

Round/PickPlayerSchool
Round 1: Pick 3 QB Trey Lance North Dakota State
Round 2: Pick 48 G Aaron Banks Notre Dame
Round 3: Pick 88 RB Trey Sermon Ohio State
Round 3: Pick 102 CB Ambry Thomas Michigan