Sanchez’s dirty trivia thread

Remove this Banner Ad

100%.

After re watching games from the 04-07 era i was surprised he played most weeks during that era!

I just remember in 08-09 era he was frustrating to watch and probably stood out more.

Played every game in 2006 but was dropped after the Qualifying Final loss. Kicked a goal in that game too. Ouch.

Almost as harsh as Jaymie Graham who was dropped after playing literally every game in 2006 and racked up 19 touches in the Prelim.

Played every game in 2006 but was dropped after the Qualifying Final loss. Kicked a goal in that game too. Ouch.

Almost as harsh as Jaymie Graham who was dropped after playing literally every game in 2006 and racked up 19 touches in the Prelim.

Ditto Rosa.

Surprised how tall ( 196cm's) he was too but yet was never really played a key foward.

At lot of the time we had two ruck , Staker, Lynch & Hansen.

I have this odd feeling this is how we will end up playing Brander as that utility player....

Our next forward line won't take shape until Kennedy retires. At the moment with Kennedy and Darling both still playing Allen, Waterman, Brander are all competing for a spot or two. Kennedy is 5 years older than Darling so when he retires we'll need another key forward target, most likely Allen at this stage. But at the moment we are just sort of shoe-horning them in wherever.

I think Wirrpanda was back for the 06 GF was the reason Graham was replaced.

Staker and Graham in 06 GF mightve been a bad call. Too tall.

Wish we had our fully fit and firing squad in 05 GF.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah we’d been burned in the past by going too tall against Sydney. E.g the 2005 GF when we played all three rucks, Gaspar, Hansen, Staker, Glass and Hunter.

Graham was the unlucky player to miss out. The talk at the time was whether he or Banfield would make way for Wirra, but in hindsight we could’ve left out Seaby and used Graham as Cox’s backup. Would’ve been just as hard on Seaby though. We had a really strong top 28-30 players that year and they were pretty much all fit by the GF except Nicoski, so there was going to have to be some very unlucky guys.

As opposed to 2005 when we lost Matera, Braun and both Joneses in the run-in to the GF and parachuted guys like Gaspar and Green (who actually played really well) into the side having barely played all year.

Q was also dropped in the lead up to the prelim. Another dumb selection decision.
The changes from 05 to 06 GF lineups were immensely positive.

05: Gaspar, Staker, Green, Gardiner, Sampi, Nicoski
06: B.Jones, R.Jones, Waters, Lynch, Armstrong, Braun

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, especially with the leading goalscorer (Matera) unavailable, the decision to leave the second-leading goalscorer in the stands and play three rucks was baffling and probably cost us the game.

We did it (IMO) because Gardiner did OK in the QF. Took 4 marks inside 50 and kicked 2 goals in a low scoring game. We went from Lynch FF, Hansen CHF and Gardiner as effectively a permanent resting ruckman to Gardiner FF, Hansen CHF and Gaspar as third banana. Lynch wasn't great in the QF, but he still took Leo Barry away as a match up. Even though he was a bit of a gumby, he was still mobile and strong and had been playing FF all year. Other players could kick goals around the existing FF-CHF structure easier than they could having Gardiner as a makeshift FF (having not played for 6 weeks prior to Rd 22) and Gaspar as a headless chook who hadn't played at all and never played again. LRT was one of their best on the day and Leo Barry I believe did something but I can't remember what. Our forwards did squat.

05: Gaspar, Staker, Green, Gardiner, Sampi, Nicoski
06: B.Jones, R.Jones, Waters, Lynch, Armstrong, Braun

IMO we look much better on paper in 2006 compared to 2005 yet the difference in the games was negligible.

Sydney
05: Williams, Ball, Bevan, Crouch
06: Doyle, Malceski, J McVeigh, Richards

Richards was handy but two time B&F winner Williams out for a young McVeigh who did nothing, no Crouch who was a pain in the arse tagger for our midfielders and Doyle who is a potato instead of Ball are all losses for them. Malceski was a good player and kicked the last goal but at the time was a 22 year old who hadn't done much.

Compare that to us and we replaced a ruckman filling it at FF with a bloke that kicked 65 for the year, a role playing HB Green who was actually very good in 2005 with Brett Jones who was solid in that role all year and got one of our wingmen back in. Biggest loss for us was not having a fit Nicoski but Waters was more than capable of playing the role of injury plagued left footer. A fit Sampi would've been nice but he didn't do much in 05 and didn't even less in 06 so Armstrong was actually an upgrade on that. I still don't know how Rowan Jones went from completely out of favour in 05 to playing almost every game in 06 and 07 then retiring at 28. It's not like he suddenly learned how to kick or stopped having Lego man hair. Can you be a forward if you kick one goal in 13 games? He actually had a career high for kicks in the QF then tried to lose us the game in the prelim at Footy Park missing from about 10m at the end. But he did what was asked of him and did selfish RoJo things while looking panicked and handpassing a lot.

Team was also more settled in 06. 17 of the team played 20+ games and the rest played 15, 14, 14, 14 and 10. Compare that to 05 and it was 15 and you had Gaspar (2), Green (3), Gardiner (12, missed Rd 15-21), Butler (14, didn't play after Rd 17 until the GF) in the side. RoJo played 4 (3 H&A then the prelim) and would've been in too if not for getting injured. If we had a late change in 06 we had Staker and Graham available who had played nearly every game, Rosa who had played 15, LeCras who had only played a handful but had recently kicked 5 on the G etc. With another late change in 05 I don't know who we had left.. Damien Adkins? Lynch who we just dropped?

Correct.

We are the only team in the top 8 era to beat a team in the GF after having beaten them previously in the same finals series. Every other time that the same two sides have met in the GF, the result has been overturned from the Qualifying Final.

Including 2005 and 2006.

With our game v Port being a 3rd consecutive away from Perth, when did this last occur?

Also a neutral venue game. When was our last game played at neither team's home ground?

With our game v Port being a 3rd consecutive away from Perth, when did this last occur?

Also a neutral venue game. When was our last game played at neither team's home ground?

For West Coast, not sure, but it already happened in 2018 with Gold Coast, and if you count finals, GWS during last year's finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back