Injury Sandi out for eight weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately i think most freo fans saw this coming.
Although im sure most thought it would be abit further into the season, not before it even began.
Dont think many Freo fans would of picked him for dreamteams etc except Seppo wtf were u thinking.

Need to play him the same way Geelong did with Ottens.
Few games throughout the season, play him in big games during season and then make sure he is in top shape for finals.
When he plays he is still an absolute weapon.
Trouble is his body cannot cope with a full season.
Not only does it make things easier for him, it also should help with the development of other ruck options.

This.

Hmm... should we do a quick locker search for a 211 doll with a pin in it's upper hamstring?

Certainly opportunities now for Griffen and Clarke. Griff #1 ruck is not in doubt be interesting now who will be FF if the plan was the resting ruckman - will they go Clarke or Keplar, Keplar does not offer the same in ruck taps in the forward line though. Hannath needs developing quickly as well.

Was it Clarke Keating for Brisbane? - injured constantly but always managed to play and play well come finals time. Looking much the same for 211 from here.

be interesting now who will be FF if the plan was the resting ruckman - will they go Clarke or Keplar, Keplar does not offer the same in ruck taps in the forward line though. Hannath needs developing quickly as well.

It will be Clarke going by training. He offers more than Kep IMO. Hannath is already a good size and he could do a job if he was given a game- particularly with the no contact before the ball has left the umpires hand rule.

Sandilands injured , Mayne a setback - The NAB cup is just not worth the risk when there is a long season ahead just to blow a few cobwebs out . Don't want to see senior players injured when no points are on the table. It's just stupid
NAB cup should be for fringe players fighting for those last spots. At least you would get a clearer picture of who might be up to it. Lock-ins just shouldn't be out there.
Who else is going to go in the next couple of weeks ? You can almost guarantee somebody

I still haven't learned. 4th year straight of trying to squeeze the big man into my side only to exit through injury.
Being the eternal Freo optimist I was hoping this would be the season he doesn't miss games... How foolish. At least I have time to correct my SC and DT before season proper.

Sandilands injured , Mayne a setback - The NAB cup is just not worth the risk when there is a long season ahead just to blow a few cobwebs out . Don't want to see senior players injured when no points are on the table. It's just stupid
NAB cup should be for fringe players fighting for those last spots. At least you would get a clearer picture of who might be up to it. Lock-ins just shouldn't be out there.
Who else is going to go in the next couple of weeks ? You can almost guarantee somebody

If you don't let the senior players blow the cobwebs out you'll see an ordinary display of skills like the other night in R1 instead.

I'd be happy for there to be no scratchies and for everyone to start raw in R1, but as long as other teams are getting games into their senior players we need to as well, otherwise we'll be starting behind the pack.

Gutted. At least we are less predictable, opposition midfielders will not be sharking the big mans taps anymore and will show where our mids are against other sides. We won plenty of games with him out and rests him up for the remainder of the year.

The footy gods must have some sort of curse against Sandi. I am just about sick and tired also of injuries and Freo being mentioned in the same sentence.

That said though, which dickhead sports scientist suggested that Sandi should play in the micky-mouse section of the NAB Cup? Hammies happen but in that shithouse format, that's just reprehensible.

Well, on the plus side, at least the better ruckman will now be getting the main gig...
250px-No_you_didnt.jpg

Sandi is a loss no doubt. However Griff stood up to the challenge last year and with Zac Clarke and Hannath also to choose from its not a loss that cant be covered to a significant degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So both Freo and West Coast first choice rucks won't be available for the Derby.

Not that Cox and Griffin are slouches or anything.

Will Cox miss the derby? I thought he only had a minor finger injury.

And the reports say UP to 8 weeks. He could be back before round 3.

He'll be playing next NAB game.

I'm going to assume by the board that I'm on that you're not stirring me.

You previously posted that both teams would be without their first pick ruckman for the derby. I presumed you were referring to Cox.....

If this didn't happen he would have had his best preseason ever, so I'm not concerned at all. Hammies happen.

I agree to be honest. If Sandi can't get through a single pre-season game without injury, why would you save him until a game that really counts. It's the luck of the draw.

He probably didn't have to manage virtually anything in preseason. And he's strained a hammy (first I can remember him doing... could be wrong... too lazy to check). I reckon 8 weeks is being extra conservative. Maybe not considering his age and size though.

He needed match conditioning. Just like most of our guys. He happened to be injured in the first game. Sh*t luck. He's still our best ruck. And packing him in cotton wool won't help over the longer term. If he's really that fragile (and I don't reckon he is) then it's better knowing sooner rather than during a final.

He probably didn't have to manage virtually anything in preseason. And he's strained a hammy (first I can remember him doing... could be wrong... too lazy to check). I reckon 8 weeks is being extra conservative. Maybe not considering his age and size though

It's not a normal hammy though, it's a partial tear to the tendon.

Yep, I le did, and I have le done for a couple of years now.

Sandilands is over rated. Statistics support it.

Sandi may be over rated. But which stats? I'll admit that last year was the first year that we'd won anywhere near 50:50 without Sandi for a long time. And Griff was terrific. The performances while he was rucking were great.

But when Sandi came back, I didn't think he could top Griff... but he did. He was better. I'm not sure which stats would argue with that, but I could see that Sandi was better. I think the competition Griff provided fired the big bloke up, because he genuinely had a point to prove. Griff was one of the best few rucks in the comp while Sandi was out. But Sandi was better than him when he came back into the team.

Sandi pre Griff 2012 < Griff 2012 < Sandi post Griff 2012.

But thank f*ck Griff is still wearing the purple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back