Injury Sandi out for eight weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

just curious ... how do they calculate hitout to advantage? i thought it was more of a team stat rather than an individual stat

It's definitely an individual stat, but I've no idea what the exact definition is. I imagine it is simply a hitout that results in your team mate getting first disposal. Dunno?

KPJ, we all know Sandilands wins more hitouts than the rest, we're not ******* stupid, the point is, those hitouts rarely go to our own players. The only benefit of Sandi winning the vast majority of taps is that it denies opposition ruckman the ability to feed their own midfielders, but is countered by their mids just roving to his taps anyway.

There was a stat which showed Sandi as not even in the top 5 ruckman for hitouts to advantage, or clearances or some s**t.

Like I said, it's been done to death, go through the archive, I cbf arguing with the evangelist muppets again.

Produce the statistics that show Sandlands makes more hit outs to disadvantage than average (your impressions are irrelevant), produce that stats that show he is not in the top five (nice reframing the arguement there btw) or produce that stat then even if he isn't, that Griffen has a better hit out to advantage average and conversely a lower to disadvantage one. Seriously if you can't be bothered looking the stats up to support your laughable arguement shut the @!%@ up junglemuppet.

It's definitely an individual stat, but I've no idea what the exact definition is. I imagine it is simply a hitout that results in your team mate getting first disposal. Dunno?

i guess i mean team stat in that is sandi's poor hit to adv over the years attributed to him hitting in the wrong spot or that we did not have the right structures and players to take advantage of his hitouts?

i guess i mean team stat in that is sandi's poor hit to adv over the years attributed to him hitting in the wrong spot or that we did not have the right structures and players to take advantage of his hitouts?

Which may be the reason that Sandi and Griff have almost identical hit-to-adv numbers; 20.8 and 20.6 respectively. However Zac Clarkes' is 24.8%

Produce the statistics that show Sandlands makes more hit outs to disadvantage than average (your impressions are irrelevant), produce that stats that show he is not in the top five (nice reframing the arguement there btw) or produce that stat then even if he isn't, that Griffen has a better hit out to advantage average and conversely a lower to disadvantage one. Seriously if you can't be bothered looking the stats up to support your laughable arguement shut the @!%@ up junglemuppet.

Like I said, this has been covered before. An opinion other than yours exists, deal with it.

And watch how you ******* speak to me, ****.

Like I said, this has been covered before. An opinion other than yours exists, deal with it.

I'd suggest that the angry talk started with you, when you said, "we're not ******* stupid,". If you don't want people to talk to you like that, you should try not talking to other people like that in the first place. Seriously, when you speak with respect, you tend to find people reply with respect.:)

Perhaps you'd like to link back to your specific arguements if you are too lazy to reiterate them.

And as for the second part; why? What ya gunna do? Unleash your keyboard warrior level 5 mad-skillz?

Perhaps you'd like to link back to your specific arguements if you are too lazy to reiterate them.

And as for the second part; why? What ya gunna do? Unleash your keyboard warrior level 5 mad-skillz?

Like I said, I have no interest in rehashing this argument, if you want it, you go look for it.

Keep running your mouth...

photonlr.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably just the only ones mature enough to not hold bitter, pointless, child-like grudges for no reason. I can agree with him in a footballing discourse because I just don't care enough to remember the time he called me a douche.

just curious ... how do they calculate hitout to advantage? i thought it was more of a team stat rather than an individual stat

Champion data define it as; a hitout that reaches an intended teammate.

FWIW, Champion data say he was the best ruckman for winning taps (winning 60% of taps) but he had the third worst hitout to advantage rate in the league and 15% of his taps were sharked by opposition midfielders which is below average for a ruckman. He also applied the least amount of pressure of any ruck in the league.

On the plus side he was ranked #1 at Freo for clearances in the time he played, took most contested marks at the club and won above average disposals for a ruckman.

(This was taken from the Champion Data prospectus).

FWIW, Champion data say he was the best ruckman for winning taps (winning 60% of taps) but he had the third worst hitout to advantage rate in the league and 15% of his taps were sharked by opposition midfielders which is below average for a ruckman. He also applied the least amount of pressure of any ruck in the league.

On the plus side he was ranked #1 at Freo for clearances in the time he played, took most contested marks at the club and won above average disposals for a ruckman.

Statistics are the work of white witches and kids with aspergers. Don't trust them.

See those are important and impressive stats to me. Stats that always get overlooked by people trying to downplay his importance by looking only at hit out percentages.

And especially by people who try to say he's no good around the ground:

#1 in clearances,
#1 in contested marks, and
a high disposal count for a ruckman

...would indicate to me he's pretty bloody valuable around the ground.

Cheers for that. This pretty much sums up my long-term view of Sandi - a load of taps (at least stopping the opposing ruck from getting the tap) but few go down the throat of Fyfe, Mundy or others; some good contested grabs around the ground; accurate on goal; useful at kickins but stuggles to get down low (obviously) and pressure; usually handballs, even when a kick would be the best option.
Some really good stuff, some stuff more frustrating. Hope he recovers soon regardless.

As usual I'm late on the scene with this news. Frankly, I'm not surprised, just surprised it's this early in the peace. Saw a post to that effect somewhere in this thread. The nature of our squad is that Sandi plays part of the season. If our football department haven't worked that into their season planning, then they're as naive as the AFL's view on tanking. I'm sure Griff has been primed and ready for some such occurence through the season, whether short or long term, Sandi was always going to be sitting out some time.

What staggers me is how undervalued he is by some. As Esti said above, his ability to control and dominate high ball around the ground, particularly in set plays out of defence is a major thing we miss when he's not there. His centre taps are a thing of conjecture, but it's not just that which matters.

Is he overrated? probably a touch. There are many around the place, some quite expert, who think ruckmen in general are overrated so there you go. But there's no doubt the vast majority of Freo players would have Sandi in than out, the vast majority of opposition players/coaches would rather him out than in ... that's enough to suggest we're weaker without him.

His hit outs aren't flash but what he offers around the ground isn't matched by any of our other rucks. Remember when he came straight back in last year? His effect on team performance was a significant step from a serviceable griffin. He's still our number one ruck because we're heaps better with him.

Thanks for that mate :)

His hit outs aren't flash but what he offers around the ground isn't matched by any of our other rucks. Remember when he came straight back in last year? His effect on team performance was a significant step from a serviceable griffin. He's still our number one ruck because we're heaps better with him.

Someone mentioned before on the main board that you if look at the flipside of it, every tap that he wins is one that the opposition ruckman doesn't. Benefit in two folds, one he tries to give our players first opportunity and he quells the influence of the opposition ruckmen. Just look at the Richmond and North games. He dominated maric in the 1st half and demolished todd goldstein. Both very good ruckman, one maybe AA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back