Preview Sandi Retires - Round 22 2019, Essendon -v- Fremantle, 6:10pm Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2008
PollieCentral
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham/76rsPhilsNovaDrexel/Atalanta
History overall – linked from the beginning
From the very first days of Freo, we had a sprinkling of Essendon links - with us getting the likes of the great Tony Delaney, Todd Ridley and Simon Eastaugh, who were being reluctantly surrendered by Essendon (in Ridley's case, in return for the pick that landed Matthew Lloyd) to set us up for that early period of rampant success and domination we enjoyed in the late 90s...

(Sarcasm alert)

That went well for us. From Professor Wikipedia:
Prior to the 1994 draft, Fremantle arranged a "deal" with Essendon where they would recruit three players, all originally from Western Australia, and agree not to recruit any uncontracted players from any team that finished below Essendon in 1994.
This would ensure that Essendon would have the first choice of the 16-year-olds in the compensation draft. Officially Todd Ridley was recruited as the uncontracted player, with Tony Delaney and Dale Kickett being traded for later picks.
Whilst Kickett had a long and distinguished career at Fremantle, becoming the first player to play 100 games for the club and winning the Doig Medal in 1997, Delaney and Ridley weren't as successful.
Essendon, however, recruited Matthew Lloyd with the 16-year-old compensation selection and Scott Lucas with the 4th selection, who would each play 270 games and kick a combined total of 1397 goals.
Unsurprisingly we seemed to get a bit gun shy of Essendon for a few years in terms of recruitment.
At least we got the great Dale Kickett I guess...

There was then a period during the Mark Harvey era when these two clubs were even more closely linked - Adam McPhee being the most surprisingly impactful recruit of that Harvey era.

Even today, our list has Colyer on it so we aren't done with Essendon "graduates".

The record
Freo have played Essendon 35 times for 21 losses and 14 wins.
The average margin overall to Essendon across the 35 games is only 103% - indicating the very close nature of many of the contests.

However, the record is very different in games played in Perth, with a total of 18 games played in Perth for 12 wins by Freo.
The average % for Freo in Perth games is over 130% - meaning Perth contests don't seem to always be such close run things.
If only we won 2/3 of our home games against every side...

Then again, they have had some massive wins in Perth games, including the result in Luke McPharlin's 200th game, in April 2013.
An Essendon under media siege defeated Freo by 4 points (72 - 68).

Pavlich kicked out on the full, Mayne shanked it into the post, and Ballas, well Ballas...

Quality phone toss by Ross the Boss at the end there...

The stats say...
On average, per game:
we turn the ball over more (F 76.5 -v- E 74.8);​
we have fewer tackles inside 50 (F 8.8 -v- E 9.6);​
we have more intercept marks (F 75.7 -v- E 72.5); and​
(surprisingly) we take more marks inside 50 (F10.5 -v- E 9.6).​
Almost exactly even on total clearances, but within that we are slightly better at stoppage clearances, while they are slightly better at centre clearances.

They are 4th best in the comp at rebound clearances, but 15th in marks per game.

In good news for Essendon, we are 17th in marks per game - meaning it ain't gonna be a high marking game!!
We are also 17th in goal assists and 17th in Tackles per game...

Dominant player alert
3 of the last 6 matches saw Lachie Neale as the top possession getter on the field.
Other recent matches were dominated by Brendon Goddard.

With these two departed, who will get most possessions - and how many will that be?

Prediction : Fyfe - 31

Key questions
Who gets Fyfe?
Who gets Zach Merrett?
How many tackles will Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti lay?
How many hitouts does Sandi get? And can he kick a goal in his last Perth game? Will he get to 100 goals?
How many goals does Ballas kick in his farewell? And how many out on the fulls?
Is it Woosha's last game in Perth?

Summary
A great game for the great giant Sandi to farewell everyone in.

I'll leave it to the other Sandi threads to wax on about him - but suffice to say that precious few ruckmen have polled as many Brownlow votes as Sandi did in 2010 - and in my eyes he's the most unique ruckman since Stynes.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2019-08-15/31-great-stats-for-the-great-no31

Prediction:
Essendon by 6 points.

Have at it ladies and gents...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Pretty concerned , Essendon will pull out a bulls**t backs to the wall performance and we'll look like idiots for losing to a team that lost by 100 last week. They also have a few handy ins.
Their midfield is overrated overhype. We ll our work them in that area. Fyfe v Heppell.
A 35 year old Sandi is going to destroy Zac Clarke. Oh dear. Will be a joy to watch. A dedicated committed footballer to a silly dud who focused on festivals.
A better forward line. Hoping McCarthy gets a couple, Ballas of course gets a few. Essendon throwing everything at this. A few underdone players too tbh. Desperate

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Their midfield is overrated overhype. We ll our work them in that area. Fyfe v Heppell.
A 35 year old Sandi is going to destroy Zac Clarke. Oh dear. Will be a joy to watch. A dedicated committed footballer to a silly dud who focused on festivals.
A better forward line. Hoping McCarthy gets a couple, Ballas of course gets a few. Essendon throwing everything at this. A few underdone players too tbh. Desperate

Agree, we should be able to control the game where it counts, in the midfield and contested ball. That's how it should pan out, but, well, it's Freo .... :shrug:

Last edited:
Great preview, thanks BeinPurplenGreen!

The pessimist in me says this game has undead cat bounce written all over it, but I'm banking on the team getting the job done in a close one for Milestone Man Michael, Mile-high Aaron & Mighty Midget Hayden.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
With Sandilands and Ballantyne retiring the game has a bit of "festival" about it indicating Clarke could be the dangerman.

Fremantle by 31, with Sandilands kicking 2.

Clarke being a dangerman, ……………….I have more chance of being flattened by Sandi's daughters, than by Zachary.

Fyfe with 3 goals and 29 contested possessions ,...…………………. out of 30 possessions ( lazy bugger got one soft "handball around the back" ).

Take my logue

Debutant
Jun 13, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Don’t know if already posted. But I am thoroughly enjoying retro round
3999A230-B7CA-47A9-A2FB-DF94A4C09A42.jpeg

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Fab write-up BPG, BUT, I must chuck in a few more Essendon 'extras' from bygone days. Dean 'sorry-Lingy-but-I-have-to-rearrange your face' Solomon, and Mark 'WTF-am-I-doing-here' Johnson. Solly = good, Johnson = bad as far as grabbing players from Essendon. Then there was Gumby, who unfortunately for the poor bloke ended up being just that.

And
The
One
The
Only
KEPLER BRADLEY 👊:devil:💪

Who else was capable of selling candy to Chris Judd, then strolling in to kick a goal, while also on other occasions falling flat on his backside when putting one through the big sticks. If for no-one else (except Kicketty) - we win every Essendon reject pick-up EVER (suck on that Matthew Lloyd and Scott Lucas!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 18, 2010
Australia.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Perth.
Your Adelaide part is looking good

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I shall be keeping an eye on the bottom right corner of the foxtel screen tonight.....Go the Roos!!....
If Port win, and we do, I shall pull some orange clothing for the GWS game :)....And hope they smash them by like 90 points :)....
God, so many simulations....and all comes down to us winning :(
I am scared :)

Last edited:

Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
Great comeback that quarter. Bombers were up and about. As usual clangers have been the killer.
Encouraging signs from Dardy who has ptesented well. Really like what Switta brings to the table.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Anyone saying Hughes out mustn’t have been watching the same game as I was. Was one of only half a dozen who could hold his head up after that s**t-show.

Schultz >> Peel reserves IMO.

Sandi plays, but bye bye Ballas. Thanks for some awesome memories but you just ain’t got it no more.

Duman / Nyhuis - I’d give Nyhuis a run but I reckon his papers are stamped. They seem to love Duman, but not Nyhuis. Reckon he’s got potential but it’ll be see ya Ryan at the end of the season.

Hill trying his best to drive his price down - if he’s leaving, then drop him next week. Has been crap the last two weeks.

Who’s left that’s not injured?

Out: Schultz (please), Ballas for starters
In: anyone not on the injury list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back