Universal Love Sandilands retires

Remove this Banner Ad

This is going to sound really bizarre, but I think one of the things that defines 211 above all else for me is his run.

It never came across well on TV, but watching this 120kg monster hoofing it up and down the ground, to the backline, to the forward line and to every single contest - regularly outpointing and out-tapping ruckmen who definitely had him for athleticism - was a sight to behold. To do it for nearly twenty years is something else.

It's why the "doesn't run enough" charge - usually parroted by ignorant Melbourne commentators who watched him twice a year at best (or the braying *******s on 6PR) - always rankled.

Random highlights for me;
- The battles with Cox; I don't think there's really anyone else who managed to break even and outpoint him so often.
- The running hit to shield Mora's goal in the home final against the Hawks.
- Can't remember the year, but drifting forward to kick three (?) goals against a very frustrated Henry Playfair at Kardinya.
- The midfield double acts: Sandilands-to-Haselby, Sandilands-to-Mundy, Sandilands-to-Fyfe, Sandilands-to-Bell, Sandilands-to-Barlow (god - even Sandi-to-Schammer!) Just understood how to work the midfield perfectly.
- Those occasional moments where he'd just bash a tap forward and still gain us 30-40m of territory anyway.

I said it the other day that I think he could have gone around another year if he wanted to - but he clearly thought the time was right.

Go well big man.:'(

This is going to sound really bizarre, but I think one of the things that defines 211 above all else for me is his run.

It never came across well on TV, but watching this 120kg monster hoofing it up and down the ground, to the backline, to the forward line and to every single contest - regularly outpointing and out-tapping ruckmen who definitely had him for athleticism - was a sight to behold. To do it for nearly twenty years is something else.

It's why the "doesn't run enough" charge - usually parroted by ignorant Melbourne commentators who watched him twice a year at best (or the braying *******s on 6PR) - always rankled.

Random highlights for me;
- The battles with Cox; I don't think there's really anyone else who managed to break even and outpoint him so often.
- The running hit to shield Mora's goal in the home final against the Hawks.
- Can't remember the year, but drifting forward to kick three (?) goals against a very frustrated Henry Playfair at Kardinya.
- The midfield double acts: Sandilands-to-Haselby, Sandilands-to-Mundy, Sandilands-to-Fyfe, Sandilands-to-Bell, Sandilands-to-Barlow (god - even Sandi-to-Schammer!) Just understood how to work the midfield perfectly.
- Those occasional moments where he'd just bash a tap forward and still gain us 30-40m of territory anyway.

I said it the other day that I think he could have gone around another year if he wanted to - but he clearly thought the time was right.

Go well big man.:'(

Spot on. I said similar in earlier post (in less clearer words). His work rate for his size was seriously under appreciated. I think the nuffies you're referring to confused 'run enough' with speed or mobility. No one can claim he was fast, but he positioned himself well and worked his but off to get to those positions as well as from contest to contest. Given his size, he also became a pretty good 'second effort' ruckman in the contest too.

Just like we did with Pav, I think we should all change our avatars to a pic of big Sandi to celebrate his great career.

:thumbsu:

I'm going to miss the big fella, i've spent just over half my life watching him run around for Freo...In that time i can't recall anyone else who dominated their position for so long

Honestly I always noticed that with Sandi. When he would run in a straight line, he was actually pretty quick. It was once he has to sharply turn that he'd be caught out.

I am looking forward to Saturday night. Hoping we make a good contest for him. An outstanding effort to get up for the end of the season. He could have easily thrown in the towel early, but it is not his style. A legend of Freo and a revolution to AFL. A champion on and off the field. I get tears with the memories.

Love you big man!

Frigate : It changes so suddenly. One moment it's paradise, the next it's trying to kill you.
Sandi : Yep, that's how it can be up here. If it was easy to get to know it, it would be not challenging. You've got to treat the mountains like a high-spirited horse; never take it for granted.
Frigate :A man can be hard to find in the mountains. You're welcome at my fire anytime

Last edited:
I reckon the umps should chair Sandi off after the game. I mean the umps hate "contact" in the ruck, so this is their chance to get close to a ruckman.

Ha ha, I said something along the same lines but for different reasons.

One thing I don't think Sandi will miss is the arbitrary nature of how the ruck contests are umpired. I reckon 90% of 'ruck infringments' neither player has any idea what supposedly has been done wrong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A favorite of all club supporters I'd think, great career, great to watch and deserves all accolades.

I don't know if this had been brought up. When they were clapping at the end. the interaction between fyfe and bell is interesting. Fyfe is smirking and looking over at bell. Bell doesn't look to happy and is staring straight at fyfe.

I don't know if this had been brought up. When they were clapping at the end. the interaction between fyfe and bell is interesting. Fyfe is smirking and looking over at bell. Bell doesn't look to happy and is staring straight at fyfe.
i think it was because there was one espresso pod left in the staff room. Bell wanted it but Fyfe grabbed it. Hence Fyfe smirking. Bell rightly was pi$$ed as he wanted it!.....If I were Bell I would be annoyed too!! Apparently Hardie has this news and it will break soon!! ;)

i think it was because there was one espresso pod left in the staff room. Bell wanted it but Fyfe grabbed it. Hence Fyfe smirking. Bell rightly was pi$$ed as he wanted it!.....If I were Bell I would be annoyed too!! Apparently Hardie has this news and it will break soon!! ;)

Sandi is laughing over this incident, he is speaking to his mate Jack to get some off his beanstalk.

Love Aaron as a person.

But I have to be honest. For someone his size I see his career as a massive wasted opportunity. He dropped more marks than he took and was too eager to handball. His ruck taps were often robotic - touching the ball doesn’t mean it’s to our advantage. His missed set shot from directly in front last night was all too familiar.

Would be funken funny if Sandilands turned up to a club function next year and he was really short.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back