Rumour Sando contract extension imminent

Remove this Banner Ad

Good news. We need stability and Sando has done pretty well i've thought. We didn't have the best year this year but it wasn't a disaster, we've had a look at a few kids and sorted out who can play and who can't. I'm confident we'll make finals next season.

Great news!! I love his presence around the club. From the moment he said "It would take a lot of hard work, but there will be success at this footy club" I was a fan of his!! Congrats Sando!! :D

I was probably in the camp of - its a bit early. But reading AFC3000 posts above - I have to agree with giving the whole club (at least the team and coaches) a good 2 year run before making anymore changes.
Loved what we saw from Sando in 2012. Last year had so many factors impacting our performance, and whlst there were some things he did that seem to have backfired - I'd rather we change up and try to adapt than just 'work harder'. Another 2 years is probably what is required to form a really good view of where we are heading under his direction.

Was always going to happen before the start of the season. I think too much stuff out of his control to not renew. Sure if we don't win a game next year its a bad decision but everyone takes that risk. I don't really see what we could learn in the first half of the year that would change anything unless that happens. Most coaches seem to get fired with time remaining on their contracts anyway.

I just cant see what good could of come from that "will Sanderson get a new contract" pressure going into next year, Rucci probably had at least enough articles to go twice a week for the first half a dozen rounds pre-written and graphics for a counter ready to go. Best to put a horrible year behind us and start without that kind of distraction.

who do we get if we didn't re-sign him then?

theres not exactly an abundance of quality coaches that are breaking the door down to senior coach

Doesn't he still have a year left to run in his contract? It isn't as though we have to decide now to let him go. The "will Sanderson get a new contract" pressure is much over rated. It will only be an issue if we are 6-1 next year and then perhaps it would be justified. I cannot see why we would risk extending a contract of a guy who is not yet proven. Half way through next year would be better timing IMO.

I was probably in the camp of - its a bit early. But reading AFC3000 posts above - I have to agree with giving the whole club (at least the team and coaches) a good 2 year run before making anymore changes.
Loved what we saw from Sando in 2012. Last year had so many factors impacting our performance, and whlst there were some things he did that seem to have backfired - I'd rather we change up and try to adapt than just 'work harder'. Another 2 years is probably what is required to form a really good view of where we are heading under his direction.
Its 3 years though given he's already got a year to run. I like Sando and hope he becomes our next premiership coach but he'd want to improve on his 2013 performance. I can't see why we wouldn't have waited until a qtr of the way through the season, i hope we havent re-signed him to take the pressure off because that would be pissweak.

This will be his first normal season with no extraordinary events hanging over it. His honeymoon period is over and the sanctions are now finished? Sando has to look forward to 2014 at a new venue and with a reserves team to develope the squad to its full potential. The challenge will be to move forward from the ordinary performances of last season with what looks to be a very talented squad.
This really will be a make or break year for the club considering our lack of finals glory over the last 4 years. As the head coach he will be the first to feel the pinch. I would think management realise his performances this season will influence their own careers.
I'm hopeful and reasonably confident that he has the tools to do the job in 2014.

Nothing to see here folks.

He's a good coach at this stage of his coaching career and in 3 years time we will have gained a much greater understanding of his longevity as a career coach.

If we make the finals and start pushing for a premiership over the next 3 seasons, sign him up for another 3 years.

If we miss the finals 2 out of the next 3 years and we are not in full on rebuild mode with massive delistings, time for a new coach.

Time will tell but I'm ok with his extension at this stage.

Pretty obvious choice. Not a lot to be gained from switching coaches too quickly, needs to be given time. If he turns into a disaster we'll kick him out anyway.

The best part about this announcement is that it's an extra 24 months we won't have to hear news stories about Sanderson's upcoming discussions about his contract.

I don't think we should complain when we were quite happy in giving nitwit Neil a lifetime contract when he was well past his used-by date. I'm willing to give Sando this year and next to show us what he brings to the table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were about 3 people happy to give Neil a lifetime contract, Neil, Triggy and the poster once known as AFGM

Pretty obvious choice. Not a lot to be gained from switching coaches too quickly, needs to be given time. If he turns into a disaster we'll kick him out anyway.

The best part about this announcement is that it's an extra 24 months we won't have to hear news stories about Sanderson's upcoming discussions about his contract.
There are very few proven coaches around. Sando would get snapped up in a heartbeat elsewhere. Its one thing to concentrate on his weaknesses, its whole different matter to find someone better.

There are very few proven coaches around. Sando would get snapped up in a heartbeat elsewhere. Its one thing to concentrate on his weaknesses, its whole different matter to find someone better.

Sando's not a proven coach & we know how few coaches get 2nd chances - he's unlikely to be "snapped up" by anyone for a head job

Its too early to think about replacing him and its probably too early to make a big long term commitment either

We'll know this season what he's made of

In reality, the way clubs are willing to payout that last year it's only a 2 year commitment. Happy to get 2 years without having to hear about it in the media every week, it was already starting since the end of the season and building. Like I said even if we were playing well and hadn't signed him yet all we would hear about is why hasn't he re-signed and how we must have some big name set to replace him or something, not sure how much of a distraction it would be for the team but sure is annoying as a supporter.

As someone else mentioned while the players like the coach stability is great for re-signing key players as well. I think they would buy into the media speculation when weighing up options, especially if as was suggested, only offering a 1 year contract at the end of next year unless we were back in 2012 form.

One final thought, would having a coach always coaching for his immediate future lead to a coach desperately going after immediate success rather than backing in a longer term plan. Talk of having to prove himself may end up coming at the expense of younger players. I think as far as that goes he's proven he can keep a young team playing for each other and wanting to win and make finals right up until the last round when many had written them off much earlier.

Sando's not a proven coach & we know how few coaches get 2nd chances - he's unlikely to be "snapped up" by anyone for a head job

Its too early to think about replacing him and its probably too early to make a big long term commitment either

We'll know this season what he's made of

I'm of the view that the club should be decisive with their coaching appointment.

The Club needs to identify a coach that can win a premiership. If they believe Sanderson is that guy, I'm all for locking him in at a point in which his value might be low.

The problem is more so that we have no accountability if we are entirely wrong in our assessment (i.e. with Neil).

I'm of the view that the club should be decisive with their coaching appointment.

The Club needs to identify a coach that can win a premiership. If they believe Sanderson is that guy, I'm all for locking him in at a point in which his value might be low.

The problem is more so that we have no accountability if we are entirely wrong in our assessment (i.e. with Neil).
This is pretty much how I feel.

Extending his contract is obvious at this early stage - if he's not "good enough" for us to stick by him after a couple of years then why did we hire him to begin with?

However, I would feel much better about it if I had any faith in our administration holding him to appropriate KPIs.

Extending his contract is obvious at this early stage - if he's not "good enough" for us to stick by him after a couple of years then why did we hire him to begin with?

Leigh Matthews, who was on our panel that hired Sando, has since talked about how silly this whole process of trying to select untried coaches in this way.

This process just isn't very good at identifying the right types. Suck it n see looks much more sensible.

We hired him because he was the best our process spat out, not because we "knew" he'd be good.

Sticking with him is not the same as hiring him. We had little to no knowledge how he'd handle the top job, so it would be entirely appropriate to reassess after a couple of years.

I don't think we should be looking to change, but if we have another year like this one then we might need to have a good hard think about things

However, I would feel much better about it if I had any faith in our administration holding him to appropriate KPIs.

Hard to argue with that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back