All Australian
Jul 18, 2007
Highett
AFL Club
Essendon
Final score

Sandy 19.10.124
Bendigo 12.14.86

McVeigh was rested in the last term. Hunter got hurt and Davis has done his ankle.

Slattery was probably the best over 4 quarters.

McVeigh was clearly our best, Baguley was ok apart fropm some poor kick ins that cost us, Slattery tried hard did some good things but didn't get enough of the pill and stuffed up a lot when he did, not even close to being in our best. Reimers tried hard and was a good player, but not as good as he should be, or as he has been when I've seen him at this level in the past.

Merret and Kav both did some good things but need time. Del'Olio had quite a few shots but didn't make the most of his opportunities. Steinberg played back and improved as the game went on. I thought Dalgleish looked OK.

We were awful for the first quarter and a bit, and that is why we lost, the rest of the game we were in it. The game turned on the back of McVeigh's efforts in the middle.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Gonna have to be quick, but a pretty crappy gamy to be honest. We started really slow and were down by 5 goals early..

As for the EFC listed guys, not much to write home about, Baguley really good, to be honest, dont think Ive seen him play a bad game at all (in the 3 games ive seen so far this year).

Slattery had a typical Slattery game, endeavor was there but output didnt quite match it.. P

Steinberg played down back all game and seemed lost, didnt attack the ball enough or the contest.

Kavanagh was really good, was eased into it and played mostly through the middle. Probably picked up 15 - 20 possessions and used it really well. Mostly as a link up type, but the class is there to see.

Merret was good in spurts, shows glimpses but then goes missing. Similar to Kav, the class is there and really tried to take the game on. Another week and another strong showing. Still a little while away but I wouldnt expect him to debut this year.

Dalgleish was another who was eased back into it, didnt see his customary pace whilst his ball use was actually very good. Another who is a while away still but give him time to build and grow in confidence and we could have a real player on our hands.

Reimers was very quiet, really needed a Reimers quarter but it never came..

The beard was thrust into cotton wool at half time after showing his customary toughness in one passage of play that saw him lay a bone crunching tackle on a seasoned Vfl player and get up before the player could even get up.

Mark Baguley has probably been our most consistent player this year, every time I've seen him play he has been in our best 5 - 6 players. used the ball extremely well (apart from 3 kick ins that were direct turnovers and shots on goal), was not beaten 1:1 all day, and a long shot, but I wouldnt be surprised to see him elevated soon.

Del was quiet, looked lively in the 1/4 but faded out, needed some magic in the last but missed a couple of shots on goal that could have seen us get back within 2 goals.

Overall a crappy game and surprised we didnt lose by 10 goals. Crow (the fitness trainer) was also very good as was Maddern with 4 goals.

cAsEy_18

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 13, 2007
Frankston
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yankees, Chelseas, YCW.
Got there roughly the start of the 2nd quarter and just a couple of quick notes:

- Noticed HFF said both Merrett and Kavanagh showed glimpses but went out of it a bit. Stood in front of the interchange for the whole 2nd half and except for 5mins in the last quarter, 1 came off when the other came on, would've been lucky to play more than 60% of the game each. To note, Merrett never looked tired coming off, but Kav did at times.

- Liked the look of Merrett and Dalgleish in particular. The youtube highlights of Dal i was expecting just an outside runner, but he wasn't afraid to go in for the hard ball. Kav did show a bit of class the couple of times he used the ball and had a bit of space. None ready for seniors though, all 3 very skinny.

- Dell'olio was a dominant forward but just couldnt/didn't convert what he should've. Kicked probably 4 behinds that you'd expect/hope a small forward to kick, but nearly every time it went near him you knew he was going to win it.

Reimers disapointingly quiet I thought, did a couple of good things, McVeigh one of our best.

Not going to do a huge write up, but happy to answer any questions.

TheDon35

Club Legend
Sep 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
cricket
Got there roughly the start of the 2nd quarter and just a couple of quick notes:

- Noticed HFF said both Merrett and Kavanagh showed glimpses but went out of it a bit. Stood in front of the interchange for the whole 2nd half and except for 5mins in the last quarter, 1 came off when the other came on, would've been lucky to play more than 60% of the game each. To note, Merrett never looked tired coming off, but Kav did at times.

- Liked the look of Merrett and Dalgleish in particular. The youtube highlights of Dal i was expecting just an outside runner, but he wasn't afraid to go in for the hard ball. Kav did show a bit of class the couple of times he used the ball and had a bit of space. None ready for seniors though, all 3 very skinny.

- Dell'olio was a dominant forward but just couldnt/didn't convert what he should've. Kicked probably 4 behinds that you'd expect/hope a small forward to kick, but nearly every time it went near him you knew he was going to win it.

Reimers disapointingly quiet I thought, did a couple of good things, McVeigh one of our best.

Not going to do a huge write up, but happy to answer any questions.

What was it like watching Gumby kick 12 goals in his comeback game?

Sep 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Thanks for the write ups. It's hard for me to get to Bendigo games (I only see them once or twice a year) so it's great to read about the game. Lord knows we never get game of the round on ABC.

It sounds like we'll have a settled side going into the WCE game with not many changes. That's really important for the people inside the senior team.

Back