VFL Game Day Sandringham vs Essendon, Trevor Barker Oval, Sunday May 13 @ 2 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon and Sandy meet again at one of the windiest grounds in the known and unknown universe. Something about this game always seems to make it a close one, with several games decided by single digit margins. Essendon have gotten off to an up and down start, sitting at 2-2 with a percentage of 137 whilst Sandy are also 2-2 but have a lowly percentage of 86.

Sandy suffered a 64 point loss last game at the hands of Boxe Hille, Ed Phillips collected 37 disposals alongside Jack Sinclair's 33 in the midfield, the latter kicking 2 goals as well whilst Jack Lonie was inaccurate in front of goal, only converting 2 of his 5 shots on goal, whilst Bailey Rice was named best afield for his 23 disposals coming off half back.

Essendon were dominant in their 66 point win against North Melbourne, but inaccurate as they could have won by a lot more with 19.19. Dylan Clarke's outstanding form so far in the VFL continued with 30 disposals which might result in a call up, whilst Kyle Langford also collected 25 disposals in a bid to come into the senior team once more. Alex Boyse and Danny Younan kicked 2 goals apiece forward of centre, the VFL listed forwards showing their quality.

Overall, they have the wood on us and I've tipped us every year against them so Sandy by 15.

Plausible Essendon side

Seniors in: Langford, Fantasia, Ridley, Redman, Clarke
Seniors out: Daniher (inj), McDonald-Tipungwuti (inj), Baguley, Myers, McNiece

FB: Baguley - BZT - Brown
HB: Francis - Hartley - McNiece
MF: Long - Myers - Hind
HF: Houlahan - Boyse - Merrett
FF: Younan - McKernan - Draper
OB: Leuenberger - Hocking - Guelfi
IC: Mynott - Dea - Heppell - Fennell
23P: Crosbie

FWIW they had 16 AFL listed players on the weekend. My side has 16 above. They also have Blake Acres coming back from injury.

Sandy play a pretty small side from what I can tell, 16 players >190 cm from their side on the weekend. Looks like they went:

Darragh Joyce, Oscar Clavarino and Logan Austin
Josh Battle and Tom Lamb forward
Billy Longer as the ruck

Unsure where Hugh Goddard played. Seemed to be the back up ruck with hit out numbers, but he seemed to be pretty ineffective whichever end he played. I would guess their next side to be:

Savage - Joyce - Austin
Langlands - Clavarino - Paton
Seccull - Cook - Freeman
Acres - Battle - Lamb
Lonie - Goddard - Wright
Longer - Steele - Answerth
McKenzie - Sinclair - Weickhardt - Connellan - Bailey/Matera (whoever is the 23rd player)

Hartley to monster Goddard, Zerk on Battle, Brown on Lamb, Francis on Acres, Baguley on Wright, McNiece on whoever the resting mid is (Lonie on that team sheet).

Would guess that Joyce would take Boyse (no, I didn't do the rhyming on purpose), Clavarino on Draper/Leuey and Austin on Smack. Savage or Paton to Younan (is Paton a lock down small D_P_S?), the other to Merrett and Langlands to Houlahan

Sandy play a pretty small side from what I can tell, 16 players >190 cm from their side on the weekend. Looks like they went:

Billy Longer as the ruck

Unsure where Hugh Goddard played. Seemed to be the back up ruck with hit out numbers, but he seemed to be pretty ineffective whichever end he played. I would guess their next side to be:

Savage - Joyce - Austin
Seccull - Cook - Freeman
Acres - Battle - Lamb
Lonie - Goddard - Wright
McKenzie - Sinclair - Weickhardt - Connellan - Bailey/Matera (whoever is the 23rd player)

Hartley to monster Goddard, Zerk on Battle, Brown on Lamb, Francis on Acres, Baguley on Wright, McNiece on whoever the resting mid is (Lonie on that team sheet).

Would guess that Joyce would take Boyse (no, I didn't do the rhyming on purpose), Clavarino on Draper/Leuey and Austin on Smack. Savage or Paton to Younan (is Paton a lock down small D_P_S?), the other to Merrett and Langlands to Houlahan
Sounds pretty big to me...

Sounds pretty big to me...
Not really. The side for us I've named has 9 players over 190 in comparison. And that's with my unrealistic expectation that Langford will be promoted :p. There's also the chance that Acres goes straight back into the seniors and pushes someone like David Armitage back down.

Not really. The side for us I've named has 9 players over 190 in comparison. And that's with my unrealistic expectation that Langford will be promoted :p. There's also the chance that Acres goes straight back into the seniors and pushes someone like David Armitage back down.
I was joking about you saying >190cm when I'm guessing you meany <190cm. I thought I was doing a joke that you of all people would get! :think::(

I was joking about you saying >190cm when I'm guessing you meany <190cm. I thought I was doing a joke that you of all people would get! :think::(
Oh. But ">" means less than or under. So >190 cm means under 190 cm. I was thinking it might be a joke.

If I've gotten that wrong I'll just stick to words. I know all the words. The best words. My words are unbelievable.

Sub 190 cm it is.

Billy Longer as the ruck

Savage - Joyce - Austin
Seccull - Cook - Freeman
Acres - Battle - Lamb
Lonie - Goddard - Wright

Nice write up and info eth-dog. I doubt Blake Acres will be playing in the two's, he's had a pretty good year so far so my guess is with where their senior team is at if he's fit he'll be coming straight in.

Nice write up and info eth-dog. I doubt Blake Acres will be playing in the two's, he's had a pretty good year so far so my guess is with where their senior team is at if he's fit he'll be coming straight in.
I've honestly only seen maybe an hour of the Saints all year so I wouldn't have a clue.

Oh. But ">" means less than or under. So >190 cm means under 190 cm. I was thinking it might be a joke.
It depends which order you type. 5>4 doesn't mean 5 is less than 4, it means 5 is greater than 4. A player > 190cm means a player is greater than 190cm. Think of it that the equals sign has equal distance between top and bottom on the left and right. Which ever side that has the greater distance between top an bottom is the greater than side, whereas the other side which connects in a point therefore no difference in height between top and bottom is the less than side.

5>4 is 5 is greater than 4, but could also be said (not than many do) as 4 is less than 5.
4<5 is 4 is less than 5, but could also mean 5 is greater than 4.

In pure English language however, the symbol > is greater than. < is less than.

Anyway....VFL and stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends which order you type. 5>4 doesn't mean 5 is less than 4, it means 5 is greater than 4. A player > 190cm means a player is greater than 190cm. Think of it that the equals sign has equal distance between top and bottom on the left and right. Which ever side that has the greater distance between top an bottom is the greater than side, whereas the other side which connects in a point therefore no difference in height between top and bottom is the less than side.

5>4 is 5 is greater than 4, but could also be said (not than many do) as 4 is less than 5.
4<5 is 4 is less than 5, but could also mean 5 is greater than 4.

In pure English language however, the symbol > is greater than. < is less than.

Anyway....VFL and stuff.
When I was a kid I think they said the symbol was like a kookaburra’s mouth, it’s greedy and always opens its beak to eat the larger number.

Essendon and Sandy meet again at one of the windiest grounds in the known and unknown universe. Something about this game always seems to make it a close one, with several games decided by single digit margins. Essendon have gotten off to an up and down start, sitting at 2-2 with a percentage of 137 whilst Sandy are also 2-2 but have a lowly percentage of 86.

Sandy suffered a 64 point loss last game at the hands of Boxe Hille, Ed Phillips collected 37 disposals alongside Jack Sinclair's 33 in the midfield, the latter kicking 2 goals as well whilst Jack Lonie was inaccurate in front of goal, only converting 2 of his 5 shots on goal, whilst Bailey Rice was named best afield for his 23 disposals coming off half back.

Essendon were dominant in their 66 point win against North Melbourne, but inaccurate as they could have won by a lot more with 19.19. Dylan Clarke's outstanding form so far in the VFL continued with 30 disposals which might result in a call up, whilst Kyle Langford also collected 25 disposals in a bid to come into the senior team once more. Alex Boyse and Danny Younan kicked 2 goals apiece forward of centre, the VFL listed forwards showing their quality.

Overall, they have the wood on us and I've tipped us every year against them so Sandy by 15.

Plausible Essendon side

Seniors in: Langford, Fantasia, Ridley, Redman, Clarke
Seniors out: Daniher (inj), McDonald-Tipungwuti (inj), Baguley, Myers, McNiece

FB: Baguley - BZT - Brown
HB: Francis - Hartley - McNiece
MF: Long - Myers - Hind
HF: Houlahan - Boyse - Merrett
FF: Younan - McKernan - Draper
OB: Leuenberger - Hocking - Guelfi
IC: Mynott - Dea - Heppell - Fennell
23P: Crosbie

Lavender a likely in too.

Damn, would’ve loved to head along. I live just down the road but will be interstate unfortunately.

Not sure why, but never enjoy the outing to Trevor Barker beach oval. Just a windy hell hole with one pavillion stacked full of old Sandy codgers voicing there displeasure at another non free kick.

Will head along but not overly confident in this one. We always seem to lose the unlosable games here (and Werribee too). Look forward to seeing how the senior players who may perhaps be dropped respond. Sandy always put up a good fight.

Definitely keeping an eye on one of my VFL guys, Kade Answerth too. Always keeps on keeping on at this level.

Essendon named VFL side:

B: 10. A. Francis, 36. M. Hartley, 14. J. Ridley

HB: 49. M. Dea, 28. M. Brown, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher

C: 35. M. Guelfi, 37. D. Clarke, 34. J. Long

HF: 20. J. Merrett, 51. A. Boyse, 39. T. Mynott

F: 77. H. Hocking, 38. S. Draper, 40. L. Lavender

R: 22. M. Leuenberger, 4. K. Langford, 57. N. Hind

Int: 76. L. Collins, 63. M. Darby, 68. N. Dixon, 60. B. Fennell, 59. A. Heppell, 24. J. Houlahan, 70. J. Sheahan, 55. D. Younan

23P: 75. T. Crosbie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Essendon named VFL side:

B: 10. A. Francis, 36. M. Hartley, 14. J. Ridley

HB: 49. M. Dea, 28. M. Brown, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher

C: 35. M. Guelfi, 37. D. Clarke, 34. J. Long

HF: 20. J. Merrett, 51. A. Boyse, 39. T. Mynott

F: 77. H. Hocking, 38. S. Draper, 40. L. Lavender

R: 22. M. Leuenberger, 4. K. Langford, 57. N. Hind

Int: 76. L. Collins, 63. M. Darby, 68. N. Dixon, 60. B. Fennell, 59. A. Heppell, 24. J. Houlahan, 70. J. Sheahan, 55. D. Younan

23P: 75. T. Crosbie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I reckon this VFL team would give the senior side a good run for its money and possibly beat them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back