VFL Sandringham vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Resting forward?
In the modern game resting forward simply doesn't exist
No matter what position of the ground people are playing people are constantly moving and restructuring depending on what is happening in general play
Cotchin as a midfielder would do less running than what he would need to do as a forward
Forwards move up and help the midfield and wings than literally need to sprint back to try and find space for when we get an inside 50
You just need to look at the GPS data of games to see forwards work harder than mids running wise

The only break he would get resting forward would be from collision and impact on his body with less time in and under packs but that isn’t the problem for Trent

It’s soft tissue injury’s re occurring from repeat sprints and running
Something that a forward has a higher risk of with extra sprinting expected
Good point...all i am saying is if his body can cope we should treat Trent with respect and let him try a few things...

Good point...all i am saying is if his body can cope wenshould treat Trent with respect and let him try a few things...
Can’t help but agree with that but given his age and where and how he has been played in the past couple of years I don’t think it’s really an option for him

He’s still got it as an inside mid
His top games are still absolutely elite and he’s leading the team for clearances and contested possies for the year despite missing games and having a “bad” year by his standards

The only thing that needs to change is game time management
Play him in conjunction with a guy like RCD
Let him drop his game time to 50% and even rest him completely every 2 - 3 weeks
Prolongs his career and let’s him impact when we need him and even if the game has past him

He’s a champion and should be treated as that
Let him go out playing the position he loves and has built his career on as a hard and tough inside mid
Not spend the last few years of his career played out of position impacting games less and just becoming a liability

Just look at Abletts last few years before he retired
They played him forward and would have a good game every 5 weeks
Those other games he was a shadow of his former self losing contests he would of won and getting burnt by defenders on the rebound getting frustrated and throwing elbows

Resting forward?
In the modern game resting forward simply doesn't exist
No matter what position of the ground people are playing people are constantly moving and restructuring depending on what is happening in general play
Cotchin as a midfielder would do less running than what he would need to do as a forward
Forwards move up and help the midfield and wings than literally need to sprint back to try and find space for when we get an inside 50
You just need to look at the GPS data of games to see forwards work harder than mids running wise

The only break he would get resting forward would be from collision and impact on his body with less time in and under packs but that isn’t the problem for Trent

It’s soft tissue injury’s re occurring from repeat sprints and running
Something that a forward has a higher risk of with extra sprinting expected
Let's say changing forward then, like Dusty, or in Cotch's case, let's see how he goes mainly deep forward. Our forwards do play that game, and what do we get out of them, not much lately. Plenty of other small/medium forwards do not do the km's that ours are asked to do. Graham and Lambert are the punishing running up and down high forwards. Brisbane have Cameron, Bailey and Zorko when he changes forward. They are not asked to do the running that our small forwards do, but they are way more effective. Rioli used to have some of that presence, but he has run out of zip being asked to do what he has done for so many years. How average was Bolton playing that role on the weekend, what a waste.

Time to change things up a bit given how we have played this year. We play Dusty deep and it works very well, but we don't have the luxury of letting Dusty sit down forward for long. Melbourne's Fritsch plays deep forward and uses his class to get in the right spots. How many players would you back to beat Cotchin one on one deep forward, not many I reckon. He is still a great play but just not able to consistently go with the big, fast strong inside mids like Oliver, Petracca, Wines and Bontempelli. Maybe with a bit more help in there, but only Prestia is able to do that and he has no legs due to injury at the moment.

Think we need to be me attacking. Wouldn't mind seeing Parker come in at some stage as he can run mark and attack. Dow looked very good in the VFL and is class. Would love to see some class replace our bottom footballers, even though Castagna has been very good at what he has done over the years and Aarts has some tricks. Would not being against Aarts having a spell in the midfield even, he is a hard nut and very strong for his size. If you are not winning games and score 3 goals against lowly St.Kilda, might be time to try something different. We did it in 2017.

Let's say changing forward then, like Dusty, or in Cotch's case, let's see how he goes mainly deep forward. Our forwards do play that game, and what do we get out of them, not much lately. Plenty of other small/medium forwards do not do the km's that ours are asked to do. Graham and Lambert are the punishing running up and down high forwards. Brisbane have Cameron, Bailey and Zorko when he changes forward. They are not asked to do the running that our small forwards do, but they are way more effective. Rioli used to have some of that presence, but he has run out of zip being asked to do what he has done for so many years. How average was Bolton playing that role on the weekend, what a waste.

Time to change things up a bit given how we have played this year. We play Dusty deep and it works very well, but we don't have the luxury of letting Dusty sit down forward for long. Melbourne's Fritsch plays deep forward and uses his class to get in the right spots. How many players would you back to beat Cotchin one on one deep forward, not many I reckon. He is still a great play but just not able to consistently go with the big, fast strong inside mids like Oliver, Petracca, Wines and Bontempelli. Maybe with a bit more help in there, but only Prestia is able to do that and he has no legs due to injury at the moment.

Think we need to be me attacking. Wouldn't mind seeing Parker come in at some stage as he can run mark and attack. Dow looked very good in the VFL and is class. Would love to see some class replace our bottom footballers, even though Castagna has been very good at what he has done over the years and Aarts has some tricks. Would not being against Aarts having a spell in the midfield even, he is a hard nut and very strong for his size. If you are not winning games and score 3 goals against lowly St.Kilda, might be time to try something different. We did it in 2017.
You highlighted it perfectly
We can’t play Dusty deep forward for long because we don’t get the delivery and we need him to help us get it forward in the first place

The lions can get away with it because their midfield is a lot younger and full of top end talent
They have Neale, Rich and Mcluggage all able to still win the clearances for them so they can afford to have Zorko to spend longer minutes forward

We simply don’t have that luxury because apart from Cotchin and Dusty our midfield lacks class
We rely on the rebound to generate our inside 50’s not clearance like Brisbane

Our side is ranked last for clearance in the entire comp!
& 15th for contested possies
We simply don’t have the class in our midfield to have the luxury of taking Cotchin out of the midfield mix

Melbourne also have a much younger and stronger midfield than ours

The way we play is dictated by the cattle and types of players we have with our game plan built accordingly and can’t chance it because we don’t have the talent in that part of the ground

Last edited:
You highlighted it perfectly
We can’t play Dusty deep forward for long because we don’t get the delivery and we need him to help us get it forward in the first place

The lions can get away with it because their midfield is a lot younger and full of top end talent
They have Neale, Rich and Mcluggage all able to still win the clearances for them so they can afford to have Zorko to spend longer minutes forward

We simply don’t have that luxury because apart from Cotchin and Dusty our midfield lacks class
We rely on the rebound to generate our inside 50’s not clearance like Brisbane

Our side is ranked last for clearance in the entire comp!
& 15th for contested possies
We simply don’t have the class in our midfield to have the luxury of taking Cotchin out of the midfield mix

Melbourne also have a much younger and stronger midfield than ours

The way we play is dictated by the cattle and types of players we have with our game plan built accordingly and can’t chance it because we don’t have the talent in that part of the ground

I agree with what you are saying, but it is hard to say would we be better playing some of our young mids other that Cotchin or with Cotchin or a bit of both, which is what I am suggesting we try. We don't kick many goals either at the moment, Cotchin might help in that regard whether by himself for goal assists.

We lack inside strength for sure and RCD looks ready to take up some of that slack. We tried Ross who was a natural ball getter and a natural inside mid, but two years later he was nowhere to be seen. His development went backwards, maybe lack of opportunity and continuity had something to do with that, maybe not. Looked to be getting his confidence back in the VFL on the weekend. Martyn is the next in line, but he is a fair way off it seems. So you are right in our midfield options, but Bolton playing forward for most of last week was strange coaching. Injuries of course mixed with Covid have not helped those young players develop like they could have, Stack for example.

But we need to change something up and mix in some of our youth, which means throwing some things around.

I agree with what you are saying, but it is hard to say would we be better playing some of our young mids other that Cotchin or with Cotchin or a bit of both, which is what I am suggesting we try. We don't kick many goals either at the moment, Cotchin might help in that regard whether by himself for goal assists.

We lack inside strength for sure and RCD looks ready to take up some of that slack. We tried Ross who was a natural ball getter and a natural inside mid, but two years later he was nowhere to be seen. His development went backwards, maybe lack of opportunity and continuity had something to do with that, maybe not. Looked to be getting his confidence back in the VFL on the weekend. Martyn is the next in line, but he is a fair way off it seems. So you are right in our midfield options, but Bolton playing forward for most of last week was strange coaching. Injuries of course mixed with Covid have not helped those young players develop like they could have, Stack for example.

But we need to change something up and mix in some of our youth, which means throwing some things around.
Oh 100%
I hope you don’t get the sense I’m just arguing for arguments sake I’m actually really enjoying the discussion and points you are bringing up
It’s definitely a time of transition for our side right now and in that way it’s very exciting

Oh 100%
I hope you don’t get the sense I’m just arguing for arguments sake I’m actually really enjoying the discussion and points you are bringing up
It’s definitely a time of transition for our side right now and in that way it’s very exciting
So it's settled, Cotchin to full forward then!

With Prestia, I think of it purely as a footballing decision. 29 in a few months, struggles to stay on the park & our depth of young players in his role is a place where we are relatively strong.
Depth in numbers, arguably. But depth of quality I'd say is very thin. RCD has shown something, but no-one else has shown anything to suggest they'll be AFL quality players, let alone have the sort of talent to fill a peak-of-powers Cotchin/Prestia sized void.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back