Sandy Roberts

Remove this Banner Ad

Gun caller, was a little slow when he made the cross over to fox footy, as he hadn't called for a while. The last couple of years have been without any sort of mistake i can recall during his calls.

Make no mistake, gun caller in his prime.

We're hitting a sad time in the AFL media, Commetti retiring in 2016, unfortunately losing Drew morphet and now Sandy retiring

Feel like this may have been an orchestrated 'retirement'.. Same week as Fox Sports got rid of Russell Ingall I guess they are organising their contracts for winter sport and Sandy Roberts wasn't part of their plans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Sandy. He was enthusiastic about the game without gushing, plus he never put himself ahead of the coverage. By all reports, a really decent man behind the scenes.

His style and love of the game (rather than himself or his mates) are falling out of fashion.

Sandy's accuracy clearly suffered in recent years and it feels like he may have been tapped on the shoulder - if it really was his decision, it'd be more likely to have come late last season.

I'll miss him.

He was great on World of Sport in the old days. Walked in and fitted in perfectly with the maniacs in there, even though he'd grown up on SA football and may not have been 100% on all the vfl history.
Obviously wasn't as good in recent years.

Sandy circa 2018 is still much better than all the other head commentators in their current form except for Hudson, Papalia and Bennett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back