MVP SANFL 2018 Magarey Medal Count & SA Football HOF Inductions

Remove this Banner Ad

Leaves the cancer club and win back2back Mags... could a team rookie list him for 2019? He is only mid 20's I would think.

it is tempting … he has an excellent kick
(if I remember)

I remember a bit of an on-field scuffle in a game at Woody Oval against the WWT Eagles. Smithy was involved and some smart arse called out 'hit him with your handbag Doreen'. I said to the guy that would be the handbag with 8 premiership medals in it it. You'd want to watch out it doesn't knock your dynasty loser out. He shut up after that. ;)

We were extremely lucky to have Darren Smith and Scott Hodges in the same side for all those premierships without them there is no way we would have won them.
To have 2 key forwards who picked themselves is half the battle and they never let the Magpies down come finals time.
Darren Smith to play 340 games as a key forward when the SANFL was a strong comp is just unbelievable.

incredibles-movie-review-bill-beats-up-boss-mr-incredible-chokes-pixar-animated-film.jpg

If we were to have a forward these days play 340 games and win 7 premierships they'd be carving his face into the side of Mt Lofty.

He truly was a wonderful player. Played countless great finals. Never let us down when it mattered and had a knack of having a good moment at a crucial time. His big mark and goal in the 3rd quarter of the 96 GF was the sealer for me. I knew we werent losing when he did that. Was massive in the 92 GF in the wet.

As Ford said, his ability to mark out in front of his eyes at full pace after going on a long 40-50m lead up on a wing before being able to almost inhumanly turn around and bolt off so quickly before lacing out a pass to Hodges was a sight to behold. He also had this ability to mark in front on the lead and almost before both feet touched the ground he had dished off a super quick handball to a David Brown or Rohan Smith or Tim Ginever running past him. He was an immensely clever footballer.

And yet despite being the main stay at the hardest position on the ground in an incredibly tough era of football, we still had every 2nd Port supporter happy to criticise him and call him every name under the sun. He got called soft, handbagger, dorreen. Yeah he made mistakes, sometimes he'd drop marks or he'd kick it into the man on the mark, or get smothered, or miss a sitter. But, in the end, when it mattered, everyone with half a brain knew that come finals time he would deliver. And deliver he did.

Looks a bit like Scott Morrison these days.

Congratulations to Smith, great career.

Would be interesting to know who he now barracks for in the AFL.

I am perennially amazed at how many absolute legends of Port Adelaide when the SANFL was still número uno have had to wait to be inducted behind certain guys from the post-96 Michael Mouse-era.

Tim Ginever after those plonkers from Centrals took the cake.
It's intentional for the very reason post-96 is a hollow shell of what went earlier. If they did all the earlier one's first, then there'd be people arguing the HOF should now be shut off to any SANFL players. By delaying pre-97 players, they can put in one's from those years, where the SANFL liked to pretend being 'the second best competition in Australia' meant something (ignoring they usual got beaten in 2nd tier State of Origin, so even that claim was false more often then not).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back