SANFL Brothers in Arms

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by McAlmanac

<PLUG>Neil Sachse has just been added to Legends of SANFL.</PLUG> Dennis could be the start of a Fat Full Forwards website.

Who else would go on this site??

Grenville Dietrich
Peter Darley (at end of career)
The fat FF for Centrals in the 70's - ??? Jones??
Wilbur Wilson only half satisfies the criteria!

Cheers,

Fatty

Brothers

Robert Klomp Stuart and Kym Klomp Stuart and North

Neil and Craig Balme Norwood (more imported brothers)

Originally posted by FattyLumpkin
Who else would go on this site??

Cheers,

Fatty

Big Gary Jones from Centrals.

Would it be uncharitable to suggest that Neil Balme could be included in that section too? ;)

The Whites and the Pavlich boys at West Torrens. Also Greg Pavlich, not sure if he was a brotherr or cousin.

Yep, Greg was the younger brother. In fact I think the Pavlich's were cousins to the Cousins brothers who also played at Torrens!!

Fatty

Yep, Greg was the younger brother. In fact I think the Pavlich's were cousins to the Cousins brothers who also played at Torrens!!
Peter Cousins, who finished up at the Bays, would be another contender for Snipers of SANFL.

Rod Seekamp and Roger Woodcock had brothers at Norwood, I reckon - another case for The Candy Man.

Yes, Rod Seekamp's brother Daryl played a lot of seconds footy at Norwood and was League runner for a time, but never played a league game.

Roger Woodcock had two brothers, both older. Don Woodcock was the older brother who played for Norwood in the 60s and played a few games for South Adelaide in the early 70s. He also wore Number 10. Sadly he passed away early this year.

Brian Woodcock was the middle brother. He played very few league games but captained the seconds and won a Seconds Magarey Medal in 1966. His son Derek is an AFL Umpire.

Re: Fatty full forwards

<Who else would go on this site??

Grenville Dietrich
Peter Darley (at end of career)
Wilbur Wilson only half satisfies the criteria!

Cheers,

Fatty>

Rick Davies (in early 80's when he blimped out)
Evans (Port....also a bit of a lug)

CM

Peter Cousins, who finished up at the Bays, would be another contender for Snipers of SANFL.

Just further to this. I found this in an old Finals Footy Budget from 1976.

In 1974 West Torrens played five sets of brothers.
Fred and Brenton Bills each played 22games; Mark Pavlich played 19 games and Steve Pavlich played 18; Greg White played 18 times and Scott White played 2. Peter Cousins played 18 games and Michael Cousins played 8; Alan Forbes played four matches and Murray Forbes played in one.
This is a total of 132 games for the season from five families

Five sets of brothers in one SANFL teams in one season was a record at the time and I'm pretty confident that still stands.

The Forbes boys!!! - Who were they??? Never went on to become household names did they?

Then again, more league games than I played!

Fatty

The Forbes boys!!! - Who were they??? Never went on to become household names did they?

Then again, more league games than I played!

Fatty

The Forbes boys ..... Allan and Murray. Not sure what happened to Allan, but Murray was a friend of mine for 10 years.

Although a little slow in the legs, Murray was a very strong mark and excellent read of the game. Leg speed wasn't as important then as it is now.

He was just working his way into a regular spot with the West Torrens team when he was unfortunately killed in a car accident at the end of the 1977 season.

Originally posted by The Candy Man
The Forbes boys ..... Allan and Murray. Not sure what happened to Allan, but Murray was a friend of mine for 10 years.

I think that Allan Forbes became a doctor who still practices in the West Torrens area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
Just further to this. I found this in an old Finals Footy Budget from 1976.

In 1974 West Torrens played five sets of brothers.
Fred and Brenton Bills each played 22games; Mark Pavlich played 19 games and Steve Pavlich played 18; Greg White played 18 times and Scott White played 2. Peter Cousins played 18 games and Michael Cousins played 8; Alan Forbes played four matches and Murray Forbes played in one.
This is a total of 132 games for the season from five families

Five sets of brothers in one SANFL teams in one season was a record at the time and I'm pretty confident that still stands.

Leaping Lindner, I am surprised that is a record. I would have thought that North had at least 5 sets of brothers play league in 1971. I would have thought that Barrie and Rodney Robran, Dennis and Neil Sachse, Michael and David Burns, Ken and Maurie Francou and Peter and Paul Schulz all played at least one league game that year. Additionally sometime around then Kevin Barr's brother, was his name Jeff played a league game and Kevin certainly would have played in the same year. Do you have any details for North around 1971?

Originally posted by Robranisgod
Leaping Lindner, I am surprised that is a record. I would have thought that North had at least 5 sets of brothers play league in 1971. I would have thought that Barrie and Rodney Robran, Dennis and Neil Sachse, Michael and David Burns, Ken and Maurie Francou and Peter and Paul Schulz all played at least one league game that year. Additionally sometime around then Kevin Barr's brother, was his name Jeff played a league game and Kevin certainly would have played in the same year. Do you have any details for North around 1971?

In 1971, there were indeed 5 sets of brothers who played for North Adelaide. I assume Peter and Paul Schulz were brothers.
Maurie Francou played 2 games in 1971.

Jeff Barr played his 1 game in 1970. However, the Schulz brothers and Mike Burns didn't play a league game that season.

Two sets of brothers are currently playing for West Adelaide. Charles and Henry Slattery are in tomorrow's team, along with Sam Chadwick, whose brother Tom played 2 weeks ago.

Last year, Michael Eagleton played, a few years after brother Nathan went to the Bulldogs.

In 1971, there were indeed 5 sets of brothers who played for North Adelaide. I assume Peter and Paul Schulz were brothers.

Peter and Paul Schulz were brothers from the Yorke Peninsula. I think that they played their first league game together against Port at Adelaide Oval in mid July. North had absolutely thrashed Port at Prospect and Port exacted their revenge that day. North (or should I say Barrie Robran) proved too good in the finals though.

There are 7 brothers from the one family playing for waubra in the CHFL.

All are very good footballers.

The Steenhuis brothers from Waubra football club. Excellent footballers.

Peter and Paul Schulz were brothers from the Yorke Peninsula. I think that they played their first league game together against Port at Adelaide Oval in mid July. North had absolutely thrashed Port at Prospect and Port exacted their revenge that day. North (or should I say Barrie Robran) proved too good in the finals though.

I found myself down at Prospect Oval on the Thursday night before the 1971 Grand Final, and it was an interesting experience. As a young lad it made quite an impression.

I recall the short and sharp training session, after which all the North players went in except for Barrie Robran, Bob Hammond and Mike Patterson. Hammond was in the goalsquare and kicked the ball to the HF flank, Robran ran to it and kicked the ball back to Hammond who then booted it to the other side. This went on for about 20-30 minutes. It was a lesson that to become a better player, you need to do that little bit extra.

Then I went into the rooms where Dennis Sachse was sitting on a table. There was still a bit of hope he would be playing. A trainer was unwrapping a large bandage on his knee. As he did, the knee blew up like a balloon, I'd never seen anything like it. Dennis just bowed his head because he knew he was going to miss the GF.

Then I saw Barrie Robran walking around the room smoking a cigarette. It seemed really weird as he always had that "I drink milk" look about him, the last thing you expected was the great man smoking a cigarette.

I went into a function area and saw the cheersquad preparing the banner for the players to run through. One of my classmates was a member of the Port Adelaide cheersquad. When he found out I'd seen the North banner he spent the entire lunchtime quizzing me about it, trying to ascertain their banner was better than North's. Fanatical bunch these cheersquad members.

Although a little slow in the legs, Murray was a very strong mark and excellent read of the game. Leg speed wasn't as important then as it is now.

He was just working his way into a regular spot with the West Torrens team when he was unfortunately killed in a car accident at the end of the 1977 season.

yeh, I am pretty sure that Murray Forbes was a teacher at my high school at the time of his car accident

Believe it or not I've just double checked the 1971 Annual Report and Dennis Sacshse didn't play a league game in 1971! He is featured in the reserves(seconds) B&F voting but there is no games tally for the reserves. So we know he played some reserves games. IIRC Dennis was sidelined with a bad knee in 1971.

Believe it or not I've just double checked the 1971 Annual Report and Dennis Sacshse didn't play a league game in 1971! He is featured in the reserves(seconds) B&F voting but there is no games tally for the reserves. So we know he played some reserves games. IIRC Dennis was sidelined with a bad knee in 1971.
The 72 GF Budget mentions that he had made a remarkable comeback to League football after knee injuries had threatened to ruin his career. I have one 71 Budget taht lists him in the Reserves.

Actually, the same Budget lists West Torrens Reserves having Peter Cousins, "Banger" Baynes and Wayne Jackson in the same side. Special.

Absolutely correct. When I made my initial check, I looked for games played in 1971 for the number 30 jumper, assuming it to be Dennis Sachse.

I have John May listed for that number in 1971, and he played 4 games. My mistake :)

Hes a doctor. Is the father of one of my girlfriends friends so have been to a few BBQs over his place. Really really nice man.

The Candy Man said:
Yes, Rod Seekamp's brother Daryl played a lot of seconds footy at Norwood and was League runner for a time, but never played a league game.

Roger Woodcock had two brothers, both older. Don Woodcock was the older brother who played for Norwood in the 60s and played a few games for South Adelaide in the early 70s. He also wore Number 10. Sadly he passed away early this year.

Brian Woodcock was the middle brother. He played very few league games but captained the seconds and won a Seconds Magarey Medal in 1966. His son Derek is an AFL Umpire.

Rod told me that he went to West and played in the twos' there but never played a senior game there either.

P.S. Now that I have brought up a year old thread, this should be in the SANFL forum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back