SANFL Clubs and their jr development.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So what's the difference between the various SANFL clubs and their jr development programs?
A few years ago South Adelaide were terrible at producing jrs, and now they are well ahead of the rest of the SANFL at this point.
South isn't a money club, and neither is Sturt, but Sturt was also one of the best jr development club over the last few years.
Centrals with its premierships and money has been pathetic at jr development.
And then Port prior to losing its zones was one of the worst development clubs.

So what's Souths doing so well now?

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
So what's the difference between the various SANFL clubs and their jr development programs?
A few years ago South Adelaide were terrible at producing jrs, and now they are well ahead of the rest of the SANFL at this point.
South isn't a money club, and neither is Sturt, but Sturt was also one of the best jr development club over the last few years.
Centrals with its premierships and money has been pathetic at jr development.
And then Port prior to losing its zones was one of the worst development clubs.

So what's Souths doing so well now?
More than anything I think it's their Southern zone isn't it, almost a country zone ....and country kids vs metro kids?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Its a growing area with alot of new subdivisions, but so is Elizabeth. South obviously doing something better than Centrals.
There's also an element of Team vs Individual.

Certain clubs concentrate on winning and developing a team environment, others see the talented individuals and nurture them.

Centrals have had a limited focus on junior development since Stewart left. Their dynasty was largely based around imports.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South have improved their junior development but are not well ahead of the rest. Their last junior premiership was 1995. Last senior premiership 1964. It does look like South are finally capitalising on their zone though and getting some reward both in terms of performance on field and players drafted.
Premierships aren't about junior development....2 very different agendas there.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
They aren't ahead of everyone else with players drafted neither.
They've had quite a few, and will this year.

Westies probably lead the way, and Torrens.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Its a growing area with alot of new subdivisions, but so is Elizabeth. South obviously doing something better than Centrals.
One thing that both South and Centrals have always had to deal with is that both the local leagues, the GSFL and the BL&GFA are both pretty strong locally, where you can earn better coin and not train as much, and stay in the same area, whereas this has not been as much of an issue for the other clubs.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
One thing that both South and Centrals have always had to deal with is that both the local leagues, the GSFL and the BL&GFA are both pretty strong locally, where you can earn better coin and not train as much, and stay in the same area, whereas this has not been as much of an issue for the other clubs.
Hasn't harmed Glenelg or Westies.

Money down the south east and in the Riverland is every bit as big

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Hasn't harmed Glenelg or Westies.

Money down the south east and in the Riverland is every bit as big
While all you say about Glenelg or Westies country zones is true, 17 and 18 year olds that want to take there footy seriously have to move down to the metro areas early, that isn't necessarily the case with the South and Centrals. Until the shift of zones in 2013, the same could have been said about Norwood and the Eastern Hills area. Norwoods development of juniors for AFL pre Nathan Bassett was also terrible.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
While all you say about Glenelg or Westies country zones is true, 17 and 18 year olds that want to take there footy seriously have to move down to the metro areas early, that isn't necessarily the case with the South and Centrals. Until the shift of zones in 2013, the same could have been said about Norwood and the Eastern Hills area. Norwoods development of juniors for AFL pre Nathan Bassett was also terrible.
Sort of.

Norwood had some great individual talents come through their system pre-Bassett but their teams probably underachieved somewhat, worth noting they also possibly the smallest country zone of all teams.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Sort of.

Norwood had some great individual talents come through their system pre-Bassett but their teams probably underachieved somewhat, worth noting they also possibly the smallest country zone of all teams.
I have been a regular to our games since the late 90's, and from probably 2000-2008 there were a couple of very good players who went further, but they were few and far between. Our country zone was arguably not that big, and quiet close to the city as well. Also, in that time, we were almost dead broke which led to the closure of the clubrooms and Sam's.

Sort of.

I'm struggling to remember the last even semi-decent AFL player that came from Norwood. Jonas maybe?

Jun 18, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm struggling to remember the last even semi-decent AFL player that came from Norwood. Jonas maybe?
A lot of Norwood people will tell you their junior development is poor
They have Wolf Blass to pay for delisted AFL recruits instead.
Puopulo but he was drafted 10 years ago

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Is it? I grew up in the northern burbs and it was definitely football > soccer. Maybe it's even more so in the south or it's changed since I was coming through.
That would depend on when you were coming through.

As Adelaide United now have all their training facilities out at Elizabeth, I have got the impression that in the last 2-3 years it is 50-50 at best, though I must admit I say that as someone who has never lived out North.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Is it? I grew up in the northern burbs and it was definitely football > soccer. Maybe it's even more so in the south or it's changed since I was coming through.
Yeah the demographic out north has changed significantly

Was footy winter/cricket summer. Strongholds for both. Salisbury were THE powerhouse cricket club in South Australian cricket.

Now lots more migrant families settling there who are more familiar with soccer, basketball. Lots of people from England too, attracted over decades by the 'Elizabeth's name! Including the "Arthur" who the Kinks wrote an album about but I digress

Fewer cricketers and footballers coming through from the north.

Part of the reason South Adelaide are doing well is that they're doing a good job (well done them) but also that their competitor sports down that way are doing exceptionally poor jobs.

Also that kids can play football and still surf helps

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Paul Puopolo, Luke Brown, James Aish, Trent Dumont, Zac Bailey, Peter Ladhams, Orazio Fantasia since Bassett took over in 2010.

Also quite a number of other draftee's that didn't go that far.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Paul Puopolo, Luke Brown, James Aish, Trent Dumont, Zac Bailey, Peter Ladhams, Orazio Fantasia since Bassett took over in 2010.

Also quite a number of other draftee's that didn't go that far.
Dylan Stephens might change that.

Back