SANFL Clubs and their jr development.

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a growing area with alot of new subdivisions, but so is Elizabeth. South obviously doing something better than Centrals.
Central Lost Most of the eastern side of the main north road from Hillbank to Para Hills. and gained several housing developments full of kids who are not ready to play for another 5 plus years.

I think the changing of zones have a dramatic affect on clubs’ junior programs, there was a big upheaval when Port gave up their zones and it takes a while to connect with new suburban and country clubs/leagues but it’s largely what a SANFL club puts in is what they’ll get back, after that it can be pretty cyclical with WWT being the outlier with a consistent number of draftees.

Is there a 'Goldilocks' country area?

Far enough away from the city that they spend quite a lot of time in their local set up, play against men early etc. But not so far away that they miss out on carnivals, some training sessions and play some matches in the SANFL

Too close - practically metro. Train every session with SANFL club, never miss a game. Less time in local set up.

Too far - don't spend much time at all in SANFL set up.

A lot of Norwood people will tell you their junior development is poor
They have Wolf Blass to pay for delisted AFL recruits instead.
Puopulo but he was drafted 10 years ago

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I would be one of them, has gone downhill again in the last 5 years.

I think the changing of zones have a dramatic affect on clubs’ junior programs, there was a big upheaval when Port gave up their zones and it takes a while to connect with new suburban and country clubs/leagues but it’s largely what a SANFL club puts in is what they’ll get back, after that it can be pretty cyclical with WWT being the outlier with a consistent number of draftees.
One of the biggest mistakes of the changing of the zones was when Port gave up their country zone on the West coast, it went to Norwood, their biggest enemy. A large part of the residents on the West Coast are Port supporters, and would rather their kids not play football than have them play for Norwood one day. I suspect that there is a lot of mistrust on both sides.

One of the biggest mistakes of the changing of the zones was when Port gave up their country zone on the West coast, it went to Norwood, their biggest enemy. A large part of the residents on the West Coast are Port supporters, and would rather their kids not play football than have them play for Norwood one day. I suspect that there is a lot of mistrust on both sides.
Yep but good management and communication will settle that in a few short years. People don’t like change but if little Jonny wants to play footy then that’s all that matters

Port would have had a bunch of networks built up over time. Relationships with key club personnel, coaches, volunteers. Eyes and ears everywhere. A functioning system. Tough to start from scratch for Norwood especially with an area so vast.

However an area rich in football tradition. I'm sure will be a source of good players for Norwood in time. Henry Nelligan is one.

No idea what the point is

Norwood comfortably won the under 18's last year, once collage football was over they could of fielded a second team that would of finished mid table. It seems to be progressing well since the change in zones.

Following junior football for 30 years each clubs has had it's good and bad years. To be honest so much has to do with the talent available in the zone. Development and engagement plays a big part but sometimes you just get lucky. West were a great example of that in the 2000's.

Is it? I grew up in the northern burbs and it was definitely football > soccer. Maybe it's even more so in the south or it's changed since I was coming through.

I don’t know when you grew up but soccer is way bigger out North.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea what the point is

Norwood comfortably won the under 18's last year, once collage football was over they could of fielded a second team that would of finished mid table. It seems to be progressing well since the change in zones.

Following junior football for 30 years each clubs has had it's good and bad years. To be honest so much has to do with the talent available in the zone. Development and engagement plays a big part but sometimes you just get lucky. West were a great example of that in the 2000's.

You really don’t see why 2 clubs that have been mortal enemies that despise one another for over 140 years might be suspicious of one another?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep but good management and communication will settle that in a few short years. People don’t like change but if little Jonny wants to play footy then that’s all that matters

I suspect you underestimate how big the hatred between the 2 is. There would be some parents that would say that little Johnny plays for that mob over my dead body.

I suspect you underestimate how big the hatred between the 2 is. There would be some parents that would say that little Johnny plays for that mob over my dead body.

I highly doubt that I do. I’ve been a regular at Sturt games for 40 years and following the SANFL closely for all that time. With the diminishing relevance of the SANFL and the selling out of The Magpies I think the pathways that kids go through in order to strive to play the best they can is pretty well accepted. As I said, providing Norwood treat the west coast etc with respect and show a good intent to do the right thing then I’m sure it’ll be accepted.

I have a few mates who are triple premiership players for Norwood.

None of them grew up Norwood fans, and 1 is from one of the biggest Port supporting families I know.

I played for Norwood in my much younger days, I can't STAND them. Loved every minute of playing though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a few mates who are triple premiership players for Norwood.

None of them grew up Norwood fans, and 1 is from one of the biggest Port supporting families I know.

I played for Norwood in my much younger days, I can't STAND them. Loved every minute of playing though
Was lucky enough to go through when Carmel Court in Kensington Gardens was where country recruits stayed, great experience, Phil Carmen, Mike Taylor Jim Thiel, Greg Turbill 👍

You really don’t see why 2 clubs that have been mortal enemies that despise one another for over 140 years might be suspicious of one another?

I haven't heard it's a problem. If it is though, it is not uncommon for clubs to occasionally not be able to convince players to play SANFL.

I'd also be careful, every year a player / family gets upset at their SANFL club. Often the player just isn't good enough or doesn't have the commitment.

When it comes to zones, not particularly. They're football clubs, not countries.

Do people stop their kids from entering the draft because they might go to a rival club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back