Game Day SANFL Crows vs Norwood

Who wins today?

• Crows

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Norwood

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, the SANFL are rorting the $200k and are actually paying $300k. What’s EH’s salary?

But why are so many players choosing to pay country football?

The main part of my point was the money doesn’t matter and is a pointless comparison. We have 4 guys of any age (AFL listed) in the team - 3 are not AFL level players which is why they are playing SANFL and will soon by delisted (Frampton, Strachan, Davis) and Berg is a solid back up AFL player.
In terms of money being pointless comparison - Zac Taylor would be earning around $90k but first year of senior footy, Luke Nankervis has played about 7 u 18 games before he joined the team this year - but yes he would also be earning just under $100k. Do we seriously expect them to go with the likes of Rantall who has also recently been on an AFL listed and played, or 31 yr old Panos etc etc?
I will admit Norwood have a much younger looking list than North - who would have a list that has a lot more AFL list years of experience than our team, a lot of ex AFL listed players playing for love of the club on the tiny salary cap

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ok, the SANFL are rorting the $200k and are actually paying $300k. What’s EH’s salary?

But why are so many players choosing to pay country football?

Country footballers get a job, benefits and football salaries. can think of a few down this way that captain coach, have a rent free house and a job that pays quite well considering the job

McAsey to kick 3, crows to win
McAsey struggled to get three kicks, let alone 3 goals.
Vs. North and yesterday he was invisible. He must have done one or two good things, one would hope, but I didn't see it.

This suggests he's on Carlton's shopping list for 2023:
What's with McAsey, anyone know?

He’s 4cm shorter and 2kgs lighter than Oliver according to their official club profiles. Not a huge difference but certainly not insignificant.
and similar ability as Oliver who's one of the very best AFL mids?

McAsey to Carlton? oh please let it be true, we owe them after Gibbs

McAsey struggled to get three kicks, let alone 3 goals.
Vs. North and yesterday he was invisible. He must have done one or two good things, one would hope, but I didn't see it.

This suggests he's on Carlton's shopping list for 2023:
What's with McAsey, anyone know?
Probably a delist when ooc or maybe a dumb club may trade him in.

Well, I'm amazed. Did McAsey kick 3 goals?? :oops:

Yup. Nice crumb in the 2nd on a chaos ball that got through a pack for an easy 20 m goal, a really brave mark where he dived for the ball (a real slips catch) to get a shot from 15 m and a solid contested mark to get a shot from 30 m. Disappeared afterwards.

In terms of what is going on with him, it seems like as a prospect, we've just abandoned him for the most part after a very rough 2021 as he's looking like the dreaded no best position type. Defensively we saw Billy Frampton overtake him, which says a lot about how we rate him as a key defender after a couple of years - there was definitely merit behind that decision seeing it looks like it'll extend Framptons career. Offensively, I mean, he's effectively a dead man walking in a set up that has Fogarty and Thilthorpe as the eventual 1-2 punch, and Gollant who is the likely number 3 at this point in time. I don't mind McAsey as a key forward, but I think he's limited to being a solid, albeit unspectacular 2nd key type.

Mind you, I can't see him breaking through on the defensive side either, though I do wonder if his best position was an intercepting third tall, ala Jake Lever. Still, I don't think there is any compelling reason to try him over Worrell, who has the game to be stellar seeing he has a lot of offensive tools.

Last edited:
Yup. Nice crumb in the 2nd on a chaos ball that got through a pack, a really brave mark where he dived for the ball (a real slips catch) to get a shot from 15 m and a solid contested mark to get a shot from 30 m. Disappeared afterwards.

In terms of what is going on with him, it seems like as a prospect, we've just abandoned him for the most part after a very rough 2021 as he's looking like the dreaded no best position type. Defensively we saw Billy Frampton overtake him, which says a lot about how we rate him as a key defender after a couple of years - there was definitely merit behind that decision seeing it looks like it'll extend Framptons career. Offensively, I mean, he's effectively a dead man walking in a set up that has Fogarty and Thilthorpe as the eventual 1-2 punch, and Gollant who is the likely number 3 at this point in time. I don't mind McAsey as a key forward, but I think he's limited to being a solid, albeit unspectacular 2nd key type.

Mind you, I can't see him breaking through on the defensive side either, though I do wonder if his best position was an intercepting third tall, ala Jake Lever. Still, I don't think there is any compelling reason to try him over Worrell, who has the game to be stellar seeing he has a lot of offensive tools.
Great reply, thanks!
It's rare that I watch a game, a bloke kicks 3 goals and I didn't notice, but I'm suffering from oldness these days so maybe:
--- I had a Nanna-nap each time he did,
or
--- my memory is lapsing into deep doo-doo territory, ha!! LOL @ me.

If Frampton has overtaken McAsey, then McAsey's the one in deep doo-doo because Frampton is hopeless one-on-one at AFL level and loses the plot/disappears when under strong pressure (eg NA game last week) at SANFL level!
I agree that Fogarty/Thilthorpe will be our 1-2 but i have my doubts about Gollant after yesterday's game; jeez, those two misses in a Preliminary Final ... !!?? Serious lack of composure and steely intent.
If McAsey stays, maybe he'll be a late bloomer and depth or replacement break-glass-in-case-of-injury.

As for Worrell, yeah, he's gonna be really good --- a real footy brain there, positions himself well, strong mark, even breaks lines to provide rebound and is a good kick.

Who's the tall kid with an upper body like a Greek God, is it Taylor? He looks like he could be an AFL player, but I thought the same of Cam Ellis-Woe-man but he just did not make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gollant had a shocker. Couldn't get going and when he did, wasted his chances. One of those days for a tall forward.
Very good summary in general.
Do you remember the 1997 GF when Jarman kicked 5 in the last?
In that quarter, he took a mark 35-40 metres out and missed. After the next mark he took, he had an angry scowl on his face, stuck his jaw out and was absolutely determined to kick the goal, which he did. Total focus and intent.
Gollant could learn a lot from that.
One simple miss, OK, anyone can do that, even Jarman.
But two??? Gollant, give yourself an uppercut. Goals in the last quarter of Finals are team-inspiring, opposition-deflating and create massive scoreboard pressure.

I'm not blaming Gollant for the loss, but had he nailed both of them, the Crows just miiiiight have lifted and run away with it.

and similar ability as Oliver who's one of the very best AFL mids?

McAsey to Carlton? oh please let it be true, we owe them after Gibbs
What is the likelihood that Carlton turn him into a reasonable AFL player? Same with Frampton if he goes to Collingwood?

If either (or both) of these things happen, imagine the pasting we will get in the Vic media about our player development (not that it hasn't been questioned many times before)

Great reply, thanks!
It's rare that I watch a game, a bloke kicks 3 goals and I didn't notice, but I'm suffering from oldness these days so maybe:
--- I had a Nanna-nap each time he did,
or
--- my memory is lapsing into deep doo-doo territory, ha!! LOL @ me.

If Frampton has overtaken McAsey, then McAsey's the one in deep doo-doo because Frampton is hopeless one-on-one at AFL level and loses the plot/disappears when under strong pressure (eg NA game last week) at SANFL level!
I agree that Fogarty/Thilthorpe will be our 1-2 but i have my doubts about Gollant after yesterday's game; jeez, those two misses in a Preliminary Final ... !!?? Serious lack of composure and steely intent.
If McAsey stays, maybe he'll be a late bloomer and depth or replacement break-glass-in-case-of-injury.

As for Worrell, yeah, he's gonna be really good --- a real footy brain there, positions himself well, strong mark, even breaks lines to provide rebound and is a good kick.

Who's the tall kid with an upper body like a Greek God, is it Taylor? He looks like he could be an AFL player, but I thought the same of Cam Ellis-Woe-man but he just did not make it.

Two of them were in a 4 minute span in the third quarter so it's an easy one to miss.

Kind of with Frampton. There was definitely merit in the decision, and with Howe aging, there is certainly a possibility he could edge out a best 22 spot at Collingwood. That said, he is one of those types who is limited to being a third tall/interceptor who really can't defend a man.

I'm not particularly worried about Gollant at this point. Averaged 2 goals flat throughout the year at SANFL and didn't waste his opportunities in the first two finals. Just a s**t performance (and game-costing one at that, seeing that missed snap probably is the knock out blow), but a good test for his resolve to develop into an AFL player. He certainly has the talent to develop into a very dangerous third tall.

Nah, the one who looks like a greek god is Borlase. Absolute man mountain that one. Not someone i'm a big fan of, seeing he looks too limited to my eye (and I'm a fan of our KPD stocks), but should be solid depth for a year or so. Taylor was that super classy blonde midfielder.

I think McAsey stays, aims to bank a solid SANFL season as a forward and tries to find an AFL gig elsewhere in '24. Rahilly is a pretty solid forward coach to be under.

What is the likelihood that Carlton turn him into a reasonable AFL player? Same with Frampton if he goes to Collingwood?

If either (or both) of these things happen, imagine the pasting we will get in the Vic media about our player development (not that it hasn't been questioned many times before)

We can't keep everyone and hope to improve, we have given both players mentioned ample chances to prove themselves and they have come up short - MCasey has actually shown less in recent seasons than when he debut.

If they go and become 'good' players it will be amazing and then we can look at our lack of development, however it is highly unlikely. Watching Fisher is almost painful and I feel for him but he struggles to take any contested mark, get into the right spot or get involved in games - drafting is a gamble and this one I think we lost.

Very good summary in general.
Do you remember the 1997 GF when Jarman kicked 5 in the last?
In that quarter, he took a mark 35-40 metres out and missed. After the next mark he took, he had an angry scowl on his face, stuck his jaw out and was absolutely determined to kick the goal, which he did. Total focus and intent.
Gollant could learn a lot from that.
One simple miss, OK, anyone can do that, even Jarman.
But two??? Gollant, give yourself an uppercut. Goals in the last quarter of Finals are team-inspiring, opposition-deflating and create massive scoreboard pressure.

I'm not blaming Gollant for the loss, but had he nailed both of them, the Crows just miiiiight have lifted and run away with it.
Do you remember the 97 GF, where the crows kicked 8.0 in the last?

Back