Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Thought I'd take a look at our qualification rules, based on the rules 'must've played more SANFL than AFL' and 'must've played 3 games post June 30'. Remembering regardless that we can only have 17 play in the finals.

********EDIT********

20 NOW QUALIFIED:

Ladhams
Eddy
Marshall
Snelling
Johnson
Howard
Monfries
Lobbe
Palmer
Krakouer
Lienert
Toumpas
Irra
Hewett
AhChee
Drew
Bonner
Neade
Austin
Atley

FAILED TO QUALILFY:
White - Only had to play the last game but was strangely held out as emergency

CAN'T QUALIFY:
Amon
Young
Houston
Hombsch
Pittard
Trengove
Broadbent

INJURED:
Frampton OUT (Shoulder)

Last edited:
Thought I'd take a look at our qualification rules, based on the must've played more SANFL than AFL, and must've played 3 games post June 30. Remembering regardless that we can only have 17 play in the finals.

16 Set to Qualify this weekend V Central:

Ladhams
Eddy
Marshall
Snelling
Frampton
Johnson
Howard
Monfries
Lobbe
Palmer
Krakouer
Lienert
Toumpas
Irra
Hewett
AhChee - (4 Power, 8 Magpies - Would no longer be eligible if he plays the next 5 AFL games before SANFL finals)

Qualification Pending (6 Games Left):
Neade - Needs to play 3 more games
White - Needs to play 3 more games (Plays them and his SANFL tally should be > AFL tally)
Drew - Needs to play 2 more games
Atley - Needs to play 2 more games
Bonner - Needs to play 1 more game (Expecting him to be Power emergency this week)
Austin - Needs to play 1 more game

Can't Qualify:
Amon
Young
Houston
Hombsch
Pittard
Another possible spanner in the works apparently we've got different rules to the crows.

16 AFL + Summerton + 4 SANFL. If Summerton is injured it's 17 AFL + 4 SANFL.

So based on the info you gave this look like the finals side post Centrals game.
F: Ladhams - Eddy - R.Young
HF: Palmer - Marshall - Monfries
C: T.Gray - Sharrad - Summerton
HB: Irra - Lobbe - Toumpas
B: Lienert - Howard - Rudloff
R: Frampton - Hewett - Ah Chee
INT: Snelling - Krakouer - Johnson
EMERG: Proude - Reynolds

A KPD and maybe another mid would give the team some better balance.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Might be Warren Partland sprouting crap. He said it in a facebook video yesterday.

That clown is obsessed with what Port Adelaide and what they can and can't do.
He will blame us Monday for the crap crowd at Elizabeth tommorow.
3 of the last 4 games at Elizabeth have clashed with Power games, which Centrals asked for. They really have a gigantic chip on their shoulder about the AFL.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm looking forward to finals. The player cap will actually let us field a much more balanced side plus a few 'better' players replacing the lesser lights of the AFL listers. The Academy side might struggle as a result though.

Honest question... Is there any point bar sentiment for playing Gus, White, Lobbe or even Krak in SANFL finals?

Team balance, winning a seconds flag "just because" vs giving the likes of Palmer, Snelling, Hewett, Arch, even Jimmy a last chance to make a case. Plus experience playing "on their own" for the younger talls, without leaning on Lobbe to take a share of that work.

Your thoughts, kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Honest question... Is there any point bar sentiment for playing Gus, White, Lobbe or even Krak in SANFL finals?

Yes, as you said, to win the flag.

When finals come around, the young players will benefit most from winning the flag. Put the best players we have in the team and have a real red hot crack at winning the whole damn thing.

You can't use the SANFL finals purely for development. You've got to be in it to win it at that time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes, as you said, to win the flag.

When finals come around, the young players will benefit most from winning the flag. Put the best players we have in the team and have a real red hot crack at winning the whole damn thing.

You can't use the SANFL finals purely for development. You've got to be in it to win it at that time of year.

I agree but unfortunately most of the players wouldn't give a s**t about winning a final.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I agree but unfortunately most of the players wouldn't give a s**t about winning a final.
I disagree, in all my experience in even amateur footy, playing in the seniors or ressies, it didn't matter. You enjoyed the success and fought to win everything regardless. I think those boys that have played SANFL all year and qualified will want to win that GF as much as anyone else.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My understanding is that the finals qualification rules only come into effect if the Power are eliminated - ie that as long as the power still has a finals game to play we can select any player from the list. From memory, this was the case in 2014?

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have a question. Does the 17-5 cap mean we can play up to 17 AFL listed players regardless of the number available, or do we have to play 17 AFL listed players if 17+ AFL listed players are available? Seems like we're being told "You have to play all your AFL players but not all of them!!!"

I have a question. Does the 17-5 cap mean we can play up to 17 AFL listed players regardless of the number available, or do we have to play 17 AFL listed players if 17+ AFL listed players are available? Seems like we're being told "You have to play all your AFL players but not all of them!!!"

We have to play 17 exactly.

Team balance, winning a seconds flag "just because" vs giving the likes of Palmer, Snelling, Hewett, Arch, even Jimmy a last chance to make a case. Plus experience playing "on their own" for the younger talls, without leaning on Lobbe to take a share of that work.

Your thoughts, kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do we exist to win premierships or to give blokes who are about to be cut a chance to play in one. Winning a flag gives players confidence. Stuart Dew always talked about how winning a flag for Centrals in 2000 after a poor year in and out of Port's side all year, meant so much to his confidence.

We have to play 17 exactly.
Pretty sure if we get 10 injuries to the qualified players list above, we can play say 9 SANFL contracted players.

Do we exist to win premierships or to give blokes who are about to be cut a chance to play in one. Winning a flag gives players confidence. Stuart Dew always talked about how winning a flag for Centrals in 2000 after a poor year in and out of Port's side all year, meant so much to his confidence.

I hear you, but my point was: what if we haven't decided who to cut yet? What if the best thing we could do for the senior side was to get a better pick for a 'surplus' AFL listed player through their efforts in a final?

Our seconds exist to help our senior side win premierships.

If every player for the seconds could win a place in the seniors, if we weren't constrained to cut blokes, or encouraged to maximize their trade-out value, our course of action would be as simple as you say. You pick the side to win, everything else flows naturally and the cream rises having learned its craft as blokes like Dew did in the transitional age where the alignment between the levels was loose and occasionally wildly conflicted.

We rightly bleat about the SANFL not knowing its place as a development comp, but most here feel the emotion of not wanting to treat the Magpies in that cold, calculating ... "ruthless" way. Specifically, I would choose to reduce my chances at a Magpie flag in 2017 if I thought I might be increasing the chances of a Power flag in 2018, and or 2019. We probably agree on that as an outcome, but might put different values on say Doogs and Bonner playing in a flag winning Magpies side next to Krak, Gus and White on a "farewell tour" versus say finally deciding to upgrade Hewett as promising depth, or getting a pick upgrade for a Palmer or (so help me) a trade for Toumpas... rather than three straight "delists".

I hear you, but my point was: what if we haven't decided who to cut yet? What if the best thing we could do for the senior side was to get a better pick for a 'surplus' AFL listed player through their efforts in a final?

Our seconds exist to help our senior side win premierships.

No they don't in isolation. They are both part of the A grade development and separate in their own right. So you asked about finals. The Magpies will probably play in weeks 1, 2 and 3 of the finals and hopefully which equates to the AFL finals bye weekend, week 1 of finals we probably finish 5th and get a home final, lets assume we win, then we play a SF and win that we play a PF when the Magpies hopefully play the GF. So we pick our best 17 listed AFL players who fit into possible replacements for the best 22 AFL players if they get injured. So if Lobbe is the best replacement for an injured Ryder in that 17, you play Lobbe.

So realistically Magpies playing finals weeks 1, 2 and 3 lines up with Power going thru finals bye week, Elimination Final and Semi Final.

If our list management team havent made up their minds on so many fringe AFL players you listed then they havent been doing their job properly. There might be one or two they are unsure about but not 5 or 6.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
My understanding is that the finals qualification rules only come into effect if the Power are eliminated - ie that as long as the power still has a finals game to play we can select any player from the list. From memory, this was the case in 2014?
Rules got changed this year after Crows fielded a full list last year in the SANFL finals. 17 is now the Max. Which is still too many.

Rules got changed this year after Crows fielded a full list last year in the SANFL finals. 17 is now the Max. Which is still too many.
If you say so.

The Magpies actually play better with more SANFL players in the side.

Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yes, we can only play 17 AFL listed players each game - but what I'm saying that the players eligible for selection is the whole list right up until the Power get knocked out, then it's only the ones on Cookie's list. At least that's my understanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back