Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
As the thread's title suggests my suspicions of us, the PAFC Magpies, being shafted stare you in the face if you look closely at the fixture. All of the clubs, ours included, are struggling with falling crowds and the $'s that go with this, so I put myself in the shoes of an sanfl club supporter. With each year the hope and excitement grows as the season gets close to starting and you look forward to getting down to your home ground to cheer on the boys. This is a crucial time to start getting money thru' the gate before some of the clubs who are not going to do well see their crowds drop off.

Home games:
Glenelg WWT Norwood North Sturt Centrals Westies 10 each
South 9
Port 8

Consecutive home games (not incl split rds):
Glenelg WWT 3
Norwood West 2
Sturt, Centrals 2 *both of these teams have 3 games in succession.
South 1
Port 0

Season opening Rd1 and season ending Rd18 games(chance to welcome/thank your team)home games
West & Norwood Both
All other teams 1 of either at home
Port 0

In summary a Magpie's member gets NO consecutive home games FACT !
He/she and child/children get the least home games of any sanfl club member FACT !
No chance to welcome or thank the team at home for the season start or finish FACT !
Regulars at Maggies' games will have noticed our crowds and where they are trending.
Is it too much to ask that we be treated equally by the fixture? and not handicapped.

There's got to be either a mistake on whatever you've read the fixture on or the one on the Port website, because according to the one on the Port website almost every one of your FACT!s are wrong.

Magpies-2017-Fixture-web.jpg

I see 9 home games, and a set of consecutive home games not including split rounds, which is a pretty arbitrary criteria anyway.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Calm down Feel, it's not worth raising your ire to the level of tepid indifference.
Good advice but it's too late for me. It's one thing to have your suspicions but to have them confirmed with facts has 2 conclusions
1 you realise that your not unhinged
2 it makes me even more angry.

It took me awhile to check and re-check the figures I posted and the more you look the more bias you see.
ie home games in the first 5 Rds(it's important imo)and guess what we're not leading the field.
Again I came up with 2 conclusions
1 you can bet the sanfl were hoping nobody would do what I did and REALLY look at it.
2 you can bet the highly paid professional talking heads on radio or tv have not bothered to do this and even if they had would say nothing.

Combine this with no AFL pre-season games at Alberton since ?. Us playing the crows at Woodville Oval...err...wtf !

* someone with FB should get these figures out to the wider audience.
Oh and btw KT and Co I hope are banging away at the sanfl pointing out the obvious. Oh wait they probably are to grinning
and sneering sanfl toads.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
There's got to be either a mistake on whatever you've read the fixture on or the one on the Port website, because according to the one on the Port website almost every one of your FACT!s are wrong.

Magpies-2017-Fixture-web.jpg

I see 9 home games, and a set of consecutive home games not including split rounds, which is a pretty arbitrary criteria anyway.
I'll stand corrected. I took my info from today's paper. oops wrong on the consecutive games Rds 5,6&7 **** **** **** which means we get 9 home games. Your right :$

Good advice but it's too late for me. It's one thing to have your suspicions but to have them confirmed with facts has 2 conclusions
1 you realise that your not unhinged
2 it makes me even more angry.

It took me awhile to check and re-check the figures I posted and the more you look the more bias you see.
ie home games in the first 5 Rds(it's important imo)and guess what we're not leading the field.
Again I came up with 2 conclusions
1 you can bet the sanfl were hoping nobody would do what I did and REALLY look at it.
2 you can bet the highly paid professional talking heads on radio or tv have not bothered to do this and even if they had would say nothing.

Combine this with no AFL pre-season games at Alberton since ?. Us playing the crows at Woodville Oval...err...wtf !

* someone with FB should get these figures out to the wider audience.
Oh and btw KT and Co I hope are banging away at the sanfl pointing out the obvious. Oh wait they probably are to grinning
and sneering sanfl toads.

It must be a Saturday in the middle of December, because I'm obviously bored enough to give a s**t about a SANFL fixture, but holy hell you're off your rocker.

Home games in again arbitrary count of the 1st 5 rounds, keeping in mind a fair fixture would have half the teams with 3 home games and the other half with 2 - we have 2.
If you change the arbitrary 'important' number of Rounds to be 7, then we've managed 4 out of 7 home games in this time. Just over half. Outrageous.

Also I suspect the AFL scheduled the split round to accommodate all of Port being off on the weekend of the China game. I would assume this is what the club would've requested.

I reckon we've done relatively alright bro. Chill out.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
Good to see the crers continue their commitment to regional areas by taking their home game to Woodville. Pointless. Why they dont just play it as a curtain raiser to their home showdown is a head scratcher.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
but holy hell you're off your rocker.
Not just that I can't even blame booze or other additives. Where's that hole I can crawl into.
I reckon we've done relatively alright bro. Chill out.
My bold. Will do. I'm so frazzled right now by making such an error all I can do is believe WE ARE treated fairly.
Nup **** it, I know we're not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it, the Maggies are gonna be damn good in 2017, whether they're playing at home, away or on the moon. I'm particularly looking forward to Brett Eddy's return to Noarlunga, and the ire of the 9 Panthers supporters as he kicks 10 against his old side.

Aparently we were going to play the crows at Thebarton as their home game but for some reason it isnt available and was a last minute change to Woodville as they didn't have time to find a country venue. Oh well no excuse to not get to the game then, give Alberton and Woodville oval are only about 3km apart.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
The way I see it, the Maggies are gonna be damn good in 2017, whether they're playing at home, away or on the moon. I'm particularly looking forward to Brett Eddy's return to Noarlunga, and the ire of the 9 Panthers supporters as he kicks 10 against his old side.
It will be like Butch coming back to Alberton. Treated with warm affection. On a more serious note.
I know I wont be able to stop myself yelling out "Thanks Butch all the best mate".

MutleyDog

Grumble Bum Extraordinaire
Nov 5, 2014
Straya
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The fixture is a definitely an improvement from last year.
A few things I have noticed

The Good
Only 2 home games at Alberton when Power also have a home game. Happens to be the first 2 Maggies home games which sucks a bit. But an improvement from last season. (Cows home showdown also same weekend as an Alberton home game however.)

SANFL bye when we are playing in China. SANFL actually using brains here.
Then a home game at Alberton the following week when Power has a bye.

It is always good to play SANFL games after Power games. That way the travelling emergency can get back and play. Also allows the Power boys to get back and support the Magpies. Only have Magpies games b4 or same day 7 times. This is actually really good all things considered.

The Bad

3 days with Power and Maggies playing same day.

1) Playing Cows reserves at woodville and then Brisbane away that night. This is OK however, can watch game at Woodville then back to club for beers and Brisbane game
2)WWT away in the arvo for Maggies then Richmond at home for the Power that night. That will be a pain in the ass
3)North Melbourne at home for Power and Centrals away for Maggies at the same time. Will be a huge crowd out at Lizbeth for that game.

Mar 9, 2014
Madelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see the crers continue their commitment to regional areas by taking their home game to Woodville. Pointless. Why they dont just play it as a curtain raiser to their home showdown is a head scratcher.
Shhh, I live around the corner from Woodville Oval and as such I fully support the Crows commitment to this regional area.

3)North Melbourne at home for Power and Centrals away for Maggies at the same time. Will be a huge crowd out at Lizbeth for that game.
Pencil in a Warren Partland article asking where all the Port fans are for a Centrals home game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back