SANFL FIXture 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez B F is copping plenty, but whether he was right or wrong you do have to admire the bloke's passion for the Maggies. ;)
Fair call, and we all share his desire for the Pies to do well. They haven't gone top for 18 long years: to quote an old phrase, "It's time."

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fair call, and we all share his desire for the Pies to do well. They haven't gone top for 18 long years: to quote an old phrase, "It's time."

The 2017 Maggie's line up could be the strongest since the first season the clubs were united, and it was probably only the lack of a ruckman that cost us the flag that year. :thumbsdown:

They have to get the balance right of course, but I see the 17 AFL player max as being more of an advantage than a disadvantage, but we know if the Maggies do have the ultimate success the snafl will change the rules again. :rolleyes:

The 2017 Maggie's line up could be the strongest since the first season the clubs were united, and it was probably only the lack of a ruckman that cost us the flag that year. :thumbsdown:

They have to get the balance right of course, but I see the 17 AFL player max as being more of an advantage than a disadvantage, but we know if the Maggies do have the ultimate success the snafl will change the rules again. :rolleyes:
"From 2018, all Port Adelaide goals will only be worth 4 points."

It will be like Butch coming back to Alberton. Treated with warm affection. On a more serious note.

No it won't. You underestimate the pure bile of the No AFL in the SANFL crowd. Eddy Bretts having the temerity to take a risk to try to better himself and further his career (even taking a pay cut in the process) will make him Public Enemy No. 1 at Noarlunga. That goes against everything the SANFL stands for. Particularly the pay cut.

Portmagpies36

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pencil in a Warren Partland article asking where all the Port fans are for a Centrals home game.
You are spot on there ! This is not the first time we have played at Elizabeth when the Power are playing at the same time and then we will hear the same old whining from Kris Grant about AFL killing their crowds, talk about deluded.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
No it won't. You underestimate the pure bile of the No AFL in the SANFL crowd. Eddy Bretts having the temerity to take a risk to try to better himself and further his career (even taking a pay cut in the process) will make him Public Enemy No. 1 at Noarlunga. That goes against everything the SANFL stands for. Particularly the pay cut.
Yep, reckon you'll be right. I was being sarcastic.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
My like is thanks. The Maggies are gunna be exciting to watch this year. Will have to brush up on my player numbers.
All things being equal am planing to get to all these games.
Carn the Maggies definite finalists this year and then who knows. If we go all the way i'm sure it'll be popular across the sanfl and
the state in general.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Like to see us experiment a lot in the trials.

We will do ok this season (despite the loss of Kane, Stewie, Masters and Butch) as we have picked up ready made SNAFL types in Irra, Eddy and Lienert, plus Snelling back for the full season after injury, balances those out. Then you have the development of Power players like Huston, Johnson, Frampton, etc, plus development of Maggies guys in Young, Rudloff, Ross, Corcoran, etc. Finally, a better run with injuries will see the likes of Lobbe, Sam Gray, Toump, Howard (when fit) and others who should dominate at SNAFL level, playing more often.

As there is a 17 person limit on AFL players in finals, we need to know who are the most likely types we can bring in to fill the breach at that time, so no time like the present to experiment.

The club has finally confirmed the 3 trial games. Free entry for all games. Looks like no trial vs an amatuar side.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-02-13/trials-magpies-to-play-three-practice-games

Port Adelaide’s SANFL Trial Games

Saturday 11 March
Port Adelaide v North Adelaide
2.10pm League, 11.25am Academy

Friday 17 March
Internal Trial
6.00pm

Thursday 23 March
Port Adelaide v Sturt
7.10pm League, 5.30pm Academy

The internal trial in 2 days has been cancelled
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/football/sanfl/trial-games

So just 2 pre-season games this year.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
Thursday night March 23rd v reigning premier (Sturt) at Alberton will be more than interesting. To see more of
Lienert (against old team :p) Ladhams, Marshal,l Snelling, Frampton, Keanu Miller and so many others is must see stuff imo.
Can't wait for another opportunity to see our new gameplan especially against the proven 'Sydney styled' Sturt.

Ps really really really hope Reynolds doesn't get squeezed out. I think he's very unlucky not to be on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
I don't want to start a new thread, so I decided to post the 2018 Fixture here:

I have put the Power's and Magpies' fixtures together.

link: https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2018/01/448083_e1c80eee695e893d6d8c9471fcdd2ab0.pdf

And those are some comments of mine on it:

I haven't checked Rest of Adelaide's schedule, and I won't, but there seems to be no reason for SANFL to present a fixture as bad as that one. What were they trying to accomplish?

The best example is having games in the same day of the Showdown. SANFL presented its schedule two months AFTER the AFL's was made public, and nobody there thought it would be a bad idea having matches clashing with the most important game of footy in South Australia!?

SANFL had all the info necessary to build a fixture that helped SA's AFL clubs, while promoting local football. However, they seemed not to care. Their fixture could have been released before the AFL's. It wouldn't be much worse, would it?

Still, we got to make some caipirinhas out of those lemons, right? That's our fixture, and we must adjust to it the best way possible. By that, I mean using the fixture as an excuse to give more experience to our younger players and an extra rest to our top players.

For instance, for those "emergency" spots that are equivalent to a bye (if I am not mistaken — weeks 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 14, 17, 18, 19, and 20), we should do the best to never repeat a player. There are 10 weeks, that would make us using 30 different players. In those weeks during the second half of the season, we could even use the "emergencies" as a way to give our regular AFL players a second bye.

Does it make sense?!

---

There are 8 weeks when AFL emergencies are not an issue for the Magpies. In only THREE, they actually play: X, XII, and XVI [weeks I, V, VIII, XIII, XXI - bye].

---

The remaining 5 weeks I have doubt whether there is an issue:
IX - GC, away
XI - HAW, away
XV - CAR, away
XXII - COL, away
XXIII - days and times TBC

Players can be emergencies in Melbourne, return to Adelaide, and be able to play the next day, right? If they can, then there would be SIX Magpies games when the AFL emergencies do not affect the list.

But how about in Gold Coast?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back