Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tracy Vilage Razorbacks
Well 3rd qtr now... and game over.
After going almost undefeated in the minor rounds, the bays have now gone 1-3 to finish the season.

Disappointing in the 100th year, but credit to the club making all 5 grandfinals this year across the board winning the woman's and reserves.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmy Toumpas or Jack Hayes for Jack Oatey you'd think

Jimmy Toumpas or Jack Hayes for Jack Oatey you'd think
I would say Tsitas, Turner or Snook at this stage... latter 2 from the losing team

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done to the Eagles.

I've had a bit of a soft spot for them after they got so completely dudded in the 19-man controversy.

Please explain.
They weren't dudded.
North scored 2 points, not 8 whilst their were 19 men on the ground. Check the times when Allmond came off the ground and when Ramsay goaled.
North put the cue in the rack when 23 points up in the last quarter and rested Tanner Smith and Max Thring who were both injured. The Eagles would have had to have done a Melbourne and scored 3 goals in a minute to win.
At no way did the Eagles know that North had 19 men on the ground until after the game. Both an Eagles player and an Eagles coach have told me that fact. There were never going to call a count. They just came up with that story to try to turn the result around at the tribunal. The Eagles coach apologised to me for the way they carried on after the match. I explained it had nothing to do with me.
Rhett Biglands, a former Eagles player was on the boundary for Channel 7 and he never mentioned it, if the Eagles had known surely they would have mentioned it to Biglands. The only person who picked it up was Michael Maney, then of the ABC.
I always compare it to when Norwood had 19 men on the ground for a lot longer in the 1982 Second Semi Final. 19 points were scored during that time. They won by 19 points. John Cahill, the opposition coach stated at the time that he would have hated to won a game by calling a count.

I always compare it to when Norwood had 19 men on the ground for a lot longer in the 1982 Second Semi Final. 19 points were scored during that time. They won by 19 points. John Cahill, the opposition coach stated at the time that he would have hated to won a game by calling a count.
Yes, you love to bring this up every single time and imply Norwood's win was dubious due to the player breach.
No doubt the breach happened, but in my view there are innacuracies that need to be pointed out.

The breach started at the beginning of the last querter and was for "about a minute" according to what Peter Marker says in the telecast.
Andrew Aish was dragged off the ground (not through the interchange gates), when Norwood realised the mistake.
During this time the only score is 0.1 to Port and you can hear someone query the player coming off at that point in the telecast.

Norwood were 20 pts up at 3/4 time, then Port hit the front midway though the last quarter, before Norwood regained the lead and won by 19.
Link to Marker's comment:

Thanks for that.
I have been looking for that vision for ages.
The News of the Monday said that Norwood had 19 men for about a minute.
Where the confusion came in was that Neil Balme said on the radio during the week after the 2018 fiasco that Port scored 3 goals 1 behinds whilst Norwood had 19 men on the field, and a Port player told me that Norwood scored 3 goals 1 behinds. People's memories play tricks.
Late in the vision you provide there is talk that the match result may end in the courts but John Cahill put an end to that, saying that he didn't want a win a match that way. It was a shame Kurt Slaven didn't take the same view.
By the way I think that I have only mentioned the Norwood error 2 or 3 times. A Norwood supporter normally brings it up on other sites. It doesn't matter, neither error changed the course of the match.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back