SANFL 'Golden Jubilee' Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Well, The Advertiser has come up with the idea of naming the best SANFL team of the last 50 years, to mark the 50th anniversary of their naming a team of the year. Here's mine (not many from the last 10 years!)

R. Davies T. Evans B. Cunningham

L. Head L. Fitzgerald M. Aish

K. Eustice R. Ebert J. Cahill

G. Motley P. Nelson R. Shearman

B. Ad*ock J. Abley P. Bagshaw

Foll:

P. Darley
B. Robran
J. Platten

Int:

G. McIntosh
S. Kernahan
M. Blight

Coach:

F. Williams (because John Cahill's busy on his wing!)

Unlucky:

S. Hodges
D. Phillis
G. Cornes
J. Potter
R. Oatey
T. Von Bertouch
R. Huppatz
M. Nunan
M. Graham
P. Marker
R. Sewer
J. Deane
R. Hank
J. Halbert
R. Day
A. Jarman
D. Jarman
W. Wilson
C. Bradley
N. Hayes
B. Jaworskyj
R. Kneebone
B. Colbey
M. Taylor
S. Morey
R. Hammond
B. Wedding
P. Carey
N. Kerley
P. Carman

and

J. Oatey

Not surprisingly for this era, Port and Sturt get the bulk of the places (6 each), with Norwood 2 and the other 7 clubs one each (although Glenelg had a fair few in the also rans :p )

The original poster is being too modest in leaving himself out. Here goes:

F: B.Mulvihill (WT,W) D.Sachse (NA) D.Rady (G)
HF: P.Harradine (SA,W) D.Granger (PA) D.Saywell (CD)
C: N.Caldwell (G) E.Holland(W) R.Hateley (SA)
HB: B.Mumford (NA) H.Dabrowski (WT) B.Tyrell (W)
B: K.Beswick (PA,WA) R.Hayes (PA,WA) G.Clarke (SA)
R: L.Milde (PA) N.Pettingill (N) I.Wallace (WT)
Int: P.Marrett (PA) G.Bracegirdle (S,SA) L.Robson (WT)
Coach: N.Teasdale (W,WT)

Unlucky: G.Wild (S), G.Baynes (WT,SA,W), W.Jackson (WT), L.Heaven (W), B.Light (PA), S.Rechner (WA,W), O.Bode (N,SA), B.Bamford (NA), P.Millard (G), R.Mandemaker (CD)

Would be great to see Twiggy Caldwell and Grave Danger in the same side. The old Milde/Marrett combination was always a real winner. Ian Wallace was good for a fight. Paul Harradine could kick goals from the centre circle, as could Noel Pettingill. The old Beswick/Hayes combination - was there a finer last line? And Mulva and Sachse - direct from the era of fat full forwards. Could possibly have had Roger Luders in the pocket to use Sachse as a big padded bag on which to take speccies. Is Garry Clarke out of jail?

And who else but Teaser to coach? Wooden spoons at two different clubs.

I am surprised that you haven't even got Don Lindner as one of your unlucky players. I would certainly have him centre half forward, Fitzy on the flank, Aish interchange and McIntosh on to the unlucky list. It is interesting that in the fifty year period Sturt won seven flags, North six and Norwood five yet your team has such a bias to Sturt. I guess they did win all of their flags in a ten year period.

I think I'm younger than McAlmanac but who the hell is G.Bracegirdle?:confused: How many games, years played etc....

Originally posted by McAlmanac

Unlucky: G.Wild (S), G.Baynes (WT,SA,W), W.Jackson (WT), L.Heaven (W), B.Light (PA), S.Rechner (WA,W), O.Bode (N,SA), B.Bamford (NA), P.Millard (G), R.Mandemaker (CD)

Would be great to see Twiggy Caldwell and Grave Danger in the same side. The old Milde/Marrett combination was always a real winner. Ian Wallace was good for a fight. Paul Harradine could kick goals from the centre circle, as could Noel Pettingill. The old Beswick/Hayes combination - was there a finer last line? And Mulva and Sachse - direct from the era of fat full forwards. Could possibly have had Roger Luders in the pocket to use Sachse as a big padded bag on which to take speccies. Is Garry Clarke out of jail?

You are a shocker!!!! :D Bronte is Skipper naturally!!!!:D :D
Do a sensible one.I'm going to work on mine!

Originally posted by Robranisgod
I am surprised that you haven't even got Don Lindner as one of your unlucky players. I would certainly have him centre half forward, Fitzy on the flank, Aish interchange and McIntosh on to the unlucky list. It is interesting that in the fifty year period Sturt won seven flags, North six and Norwood five yet your team has such a bias to Sturt. I guess they did win all of their flags in a ten year period.
Okay, the AFL Hall of Fame entry for Fitzgerald says he was a half forward flanker (maybe for Collingwood?) but The Advertiser named him at CHF four times. Agree that Don lindner should be on the unlucky list, but I'd have Stephen Kernahan at CHF before Lindner.

Sturt's 'Golden Era' traumatised my early days of following Port, so I can't ignore so many of their greats from that time. North were obviously a very even team, with B. Robran the obvious stand out. Norwood too had some good solid players like Gallagher, Craig, Thomas and Roberts, but neither side was able to dominate the SANFL the way Port and to a lesser extent Sturt did.

Originally posted by crowsrule
I think I'm younger than McAlmanac but who the hell is G.Bracegirdle?:confused: How many games, years played etc....
Gary Bracegirdle was a tiny rover at Sturt in the 70's - not surprisingly, he couldn't win a regular spot. He went to South and was serviceable for the Panthers.

Yes, I'll work on a real one. ;)

BTW, Blight on the interchange? I guess the team is based on SANFL form. Still, he did take an absolute screamer on John Riley's head in his last game. :D

Gary Bracegirdle was a tiny rover at Sturt in the 70's - not surprisingly, he couldn't win a regular spot. He went to South and was serviceable for the Panthers.

Yes, I'll work on a real one. ;)

BTW, Blight on the interchange? I guess the team is based on SANFL form. Still, he did take an absolute screamer on John Riley's head in his last game. :D

And kicked seven goals on him and David Wildy on sunny afternoon at Prospect.No wonder he retired after that game, what a shirthouse performance.
I actually met Malcolm a couple of years back at The Age Footy Forum and whilst we grabbed some "fresh" air out the back I mentioned that I was at that game to him and he said he felt he didnt play to badly that day:rolleyes:
Gary Bracegirdle:D

Bill Nalder

What a Beard old Bill had!!!!!!!!

Looked like he should have been starring in amateur movies instead of gracing the football field!!!

Originally posted by Leaping Linder
By the way Mac how come big Ugo Colosante couldn't make your team?????He and Bill Nalder would have made an awesome ist and 2nd ruck combo!!!!!
Can't go past Marrett and Milde. ;) A more gawky pair of logs would be hard to find.

Re: Bill Nalder

Originally posted by Davo75
What a Beard old Bill had!!!!!!!!

Looked like he should have been starring in amateur movies instead of gracing the football field!!!

Richmond got Neville Roberts and Norwood got Bill Nalder and North got Greg Smith and Peter Cloke.
Peter Cloke was a pretty good player!

Re: Re: Bill Nalder

Richmond got Neville Roberts and Norwood got Bill Nalder and North got Greg Smith and Peter Cloke.
Peter Cloke was a pretty good player!
OK, I'm lost. How is that triangle related?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Re: Re: Bill Nalder

OK, I'm lost. How is that triangle related?

I remember this(sort of)as this is how Peter Cloke(my fav player in the late 70's) came to North.I read it in inside football at the time.The amounts may be slightly wrong but the percentages are right.West Torrens wanted $30,000 for Neville Roberts.Richmond had no money(some things never change:D )so they sold the three players off.
Peter Cloke (played 28 games for Richmond but had injured his Knee and was playing for Oakleigh(VFA)at the time) for $15,000.
Bill Nalder(played 15 games for Richmond)was sold to The Legs for $10,000(Didn't do much at the Parade who packed him off to Elizabeth where he won a B&F in his first season there,after dropping a few kilos).
Greg Smith(Didn't play league for Ricmond but was considered a junior with "potential") to North for $5,000.Played a handful of games with us but never really did much.
Can't recall how The Eagles spent their windfall!Maybe they bought Teaser a pub :D

Reckon Jimmy Brenton - the ex Woodville man-mountain could have made it - either him or Colin MacVicar (who could actually play a bit!). No Greg White (WT), or his Greek team mates M Faletic & P Phillipou ? Who was that annoying little twerp from PA - back pocket, came from WA , famous for getting foot caught in gutter at Footy Park?? Johnny Schnebiechler (SA), Wilbur W (CD) and of course the stellar career of Kym Dillon (WT + NA??). Teaser a great choice as coach, but team must be managed by Doug Thomas.

Fatty

And kicked seven goals on him and David Wildy on sunny afternoon at Prospect.No wonder he retired after that game, what a shirthouse performance.
I actually met Malcolm a couple of years back at The Age Footy Forum and whilst we grabbed some "fresh" air out the back I mentioned that I was at that game to him and he said he felt he didnt play to badly that day:rolleyes:
Gary Bracegirdle:D

Was actually at that game myself - saw his last game before he went to North Melb - his first game back (Sturt at Woody Oval), and his last Vs North at Prospect. Reckon he could have gone around again after that performance!

Fatty

You are a shocker!!!! :D Bronte is Skipper naturally!!!!:D :D
Do a sensible one.I'm going to work on mine!

Didn't Bronte once bag 3 Magery's for stats of 1 kick, 2 h/b, 48 spoils and keeping Ebert down to a quiet 20 touches???

Fatty

Originally posted by FattyLumpkin

Didn't Bronte once bag 3 Magery's for stats of 1 kick, 2 h/b, 48 spoils and keeping Ebert down to a quiet 20 touches???

Fatty

Don't know if you're taking the pi$$ or not Fatty so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.I've actually researched all North's MM votes since ww2 and I can assure our stellar #26 never recieved one.
:eek:

Reckon Jimmy Brenton - the ex Woodville man-mountain could have made it - either him or Colin MacVicar (who could actually play a bit!). No Greg White (WT), or his Greek team mates M Faletic & P Phillipou ? Who was that annoying little twerp from PA - back pocket, came from WA , famous for getting foot caught in gutter at Footy Park?? Johnny Schnebiechler (SA), Wilbur W (CD) and of course the stellar career of Kym Dillon (WT + NA??). Teaser a great choice as coach, but team must be managed by Doug Thomas.

Fatty

Kym Dillon!BOG on Ron Hateley in his first ever game(NA v SA at Prossie) and then booked in his second game(v WA at Richmond)for thumping his boss at the time Bob Loveday!!!!
That's gotta be Carl Fragomeni you're trying to remember.He came from East Perth(played in the 72 COA games at Adelaide Oval).
Good old Sneezer's biggest claim to fame was getting his finger stuck in a coke can taking a bath after a game in the early 80's.The south trainers had to cut the can off(true story!)

Outstanding post!

Jimmy Brenton! He was a regular for a few seasons - handy player, but not in the top half of ruckmen in the league at the time. Had a log brother Peter who wasn't quite as good. They came down from Broken Hill; my old man used to know them.

Greg White - another handy player on a wing.

Carl Fragomeni did come from the West (was a premiership player there), but so did Stephen Curtis. Which one got his foot stuck?

Fatty, you are a true old fart with excellent taste in schlock footballers!

Outstanding post!

Jimmy Brenton! He was a regular for a few seasons - handy player, but not in the top half of ruckmen in the league at the time. Had a log brother Peter who wasn't quite as good. They came down from Broken Hill; my old man used to know them.

Greg White - another handy player on a wing.

Carl Fragomeni did come from the West (was a premiership player there), but so did Stephen Curtis. Which one got his foot stuck?

Fatty, you are a true old fart with excellent taste in schlock footballers!

Pretty sure he means 'Frog' Mac as I think Curtis is a bit later.I think Fatty is from the same era as us sad old buggers.

Mac what year was that game Brenton dominated v Norwood at Woodville.The upset of the decade they called it at the time.Was it 77 or 78.Pretty sure it was 77 but could be wrong.

Greg White!1975 West Torrens Best and Fairest!Admittedly we are talking WT in 1975!!!!!!

Mac what year was that game Brenton dominated v Norwood at Woodville.The upset of the decade they called it at the time.Was it 77 or 78.Pretty sure it was 77 but could be wrong.
Would have been 77. I reckon he was gone in 78, because we had big Lurch (Barry Goodingham).

Don't know if you're taking the pi$$ or not Fatty so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.I've actually researched all North's MM votes since ww2 and I can assure our stellar #26 never recieved one.
:eek:

Not taking the mickey - it must have been a media award then, but I'm certain he got 3 votes for keeping Ebert quiet, even if he didn't bother the stats man much himself.

Fatty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back