Opinion SANFL Grand Final - If you are interested

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't 'like' any of the SANFL sides because 75% of the fans are raving lunatics, but I wasn't too unhappy about Sturt winning today.

Main reason being that it makes the girlfriend and her fam happy.

Second is this article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-19/sturt-from-eight-place-to-a-grand-final-in-one-year/7858448
The club's restructure began when Grimm joined the Double Blues in April 2015, tasked with looking for changes that needed to be made.

"We felt if we wanted to keep up with Adelaide and Port Adelaide, as well as the Eagles and the better performing SANFL clubs, we needed a full-time coach," Grimm said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-19/sturt-from-eight-place-to-a-grand-final-in-one-year/7858448

Other clubs and their fans can learn from what Grimm says; instead of crying like a bunch of ******* toddlers, find things to improve on.

Congrats to Sturt. Anyone know the official attendance?

Gotta say though im pretty meh about SANFL these days. Lets face it, its basically the equivalent of district cricket.

I personally would much rather see the AFL create a genuine reserves comp which plays as curtain raisers to the main AFL sides.

lel The Eagles are the ultimate grand final chokers :$
At the midweek press conference, Godden basically stated that his side was going to play very well: it was simply a matter of whether or not Sturt could keep up with them. Well - I guess he got his answer.

It's typical of the arrogance of WWT. I remember back to 1994 - pre game, they already had their premiership T-shirts printed. Pity Timmy and his team didn't read the script.

O

Or because no one really gives a toss about SANFL anymore.

Bout time they dropped the 'N' and became SAFL. Nothing national about it.
Are you sure the N doesn't stand for numbskull?

Poor crowds probably because of the Bay to Birdwood

Only so many places old people can get to on the one day
Surely that's only until late morning along Anzac Highway and Greenhill Rd? 80 % could have got home for lunch and still made the game.

At the midweek press conference, Godden basically stated that his side was going to play very well: it was simply a matter of whether or not Sturt could keep up with them. Well - I guess he got his answer.

It's typical of the arrogance of WWT. I remember back to 1994 - pre game, they already had their premiership T-shirts printed. Pity Timmy and his team didn't read the script.

Can remember at the pre-game parade in Rundle Mall, Jack said we were gonna "bash their heads in." Or words to that effect. Definitely used "bash," lol.

Bruce Winter took umbrage at that. Thought it was odd he'd let a throwaway comment get under his skin. He shot back and said the Eagles would fight fire with fire.

How'd it work out for ya', Bruce?

Can remember at the pre-game parade in Rundle Mall, Jack said we were gonna "bash their heads in." Or words to that effect. Definitely used "bash," lol.

Bruce Winter took umbrage at that. Thought it was odd he'd let a throwaway comment get under his skin. He shot back and said the Eagles would fight fire with fire.

How'd it work out for ya', Bruce?
I'm sure Mr. Winter still has a photo of Scott Hodges on his dartboard. Question: is Scotty's last quarter in that game the best individual performance in a SANFL GF?" Maybe Macca can think of a better one, but I'm struggling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a serious note Jack Stephen(Steven?) is a seriously good player.
Noticed him about 10 sec into the game and kept on noticing his hand and foot skills.
Unfortunately 25yo and yet another HBFer.

Interesting quote from Sturts player Brodie Martin in The Sunday Mail;

"..... the tension surrounding the Crows making the finals for the first time this season should inspire clubs to improve rather than complain. ..."

What a refreshing attitude.

And the "last kick" rule is generally better policed than the "deliberate" rule.

Umpiring interpretations in the SANFL are generally better but I am not sure about that 'last kick' rule. Intent should be the criteria for out of bounds. Under the last kick rule if you are under pressure and kick to a player on the boundary and the ball is marginally out of his reach you are penalised which does not seem fair. Yesterday I saw a player boot it 55 metres toward a couple of players, it went over their heads and oob for which he was penalised. I think the AFL umps have the AFL deliberate rule about right atm, mind you it has taken them a full season to do what they should have been doing in round 1 which is using some common sense.

On a serious note Jack Stephen(Steven?) is a seriously good player.
Noticed him about 10 sec into the game and kept on noticing his hand and foot skills.
Unfortunately 25yo and yet another HBFer.
Absolutely agree. Stood out right from the outset. We looked up his age and said the same re being a HBF. Happy for Kory and Zane and sad for Reddo.

Umpiring interpretations in the SANFL are generally better but I am not sure about that 'last kick' rule. Intent should be the criteria for out of bounds. Under the last kick rule if you are under pressure and kick to a player on the boundary and the ball is marginally out of his reach you are penalised which does not seem fair. Yesterday I saw a player boot it 55 metres toward a couple of players, it went over their heads and OOB for which he was penalised. I think the AFL umps have the AFL deliberate rule about right atm, mind you it has taken them a full season to do what they should have been doing in round 1 which is using some common sense.
I take it you are talking about a shank kick where the player involved would not have kicked OOB deliberately even if his brain had exploded.

Yes, I agree intent should be the criteria and it always has been. I just think some umpires don't have a great idea of intent. But players should also have less chance to get away with bad disposal and except in the example you stated or other extremes I would run with last kick. Maybe the "marginally" bit of the rule needs to be looked at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back