SANFL History

Discussion in 'SANFL Board' started by LBJ23, Dec 29, 2004.

Put it out there
  1. McAlmanac

McAlmanac Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Woodville
    Twas me who opened the can of worms, but not the PAFC vs PAMFC identity debate. I questioned how a long time, paid up Port Adelaide supporter could suddenly - or not so suddenly it would seem - support Central District. I can (just) understand how supporters of other SANFL clubs, disaffected by the corporate nature of the Crows, could turn to Port in the AFL. But how one of Jack's Army (Cahill, not Oatey - remember him, young 'uns?) can change allegiance in the SANFL is baffling, bewildering, and astonishing.

How many other people who thrilled to Russell Ebert now barrack for another SANFL club?

2. Port Adelaide 1870

Port Adelaide 1870 Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Port Adelaide
    Shame on you Macca !
    However..

Jimmy, you know and I know...there is a connection...Both Clubs wore black and white, one of them had the magpies as their logo, the new one has the Magpies as an integral part of their name.
    Both represent/ed Port Adelaide in the SANFL, both play/ed out of Alberton
    Both wore the same guernsey...

and players that played for the Port Adelaide Football Club whilst it was in the SANFL and players that play for the current PAMFC are accorded credits to a Port Adelaide Club entity in games played etc..

i.e Scott Hodges: Scott Hodges kicked 650 goals for the PAFC whilst in the SANFL also has the adjunct Goals for PAMFC included.

so we all know that the PAMFC now represents the Port Adelaide Football Clubs interests and traditions in the SANFL and are meant to carry on a Port Adelaide local district contribution to the SANFL in lieu of the PAFC.

John Cahill and Tim Ginever are proud to contribute to a club that represents the Port district and give back to the SANFL..

PA1870

3. PortProudWA

PortProudWA Cancelled

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:

You think the crowds are bad (down) in the SANFL, come over and go to a WAFL match, its laughable!!

4. PortProudWA

PortProudWA Cancelled

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:

I never have, never could....wouldnt even think of it!!

5. Bentleigh

Bentleigh Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richard Tambling
    VFL and the TAC cup are quite good.

6. spell_check

spell_check Premiership Player

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Can I revive this thread and maybe change it back to what it was started for?

7. AcaciaHills

AcaciaHills Rookie

Other teams:
    SANFL DVDs/VIDEO of footage from 1989/1990
    Hi there,
    I have been looking for any footage of the Woodville Warriors during the last two years that they played.
    The 1989 and 1990 seasons.
    I was also after any footage from the SANFL V WAFL game that took place in 1990.
    I have checked the newspapers from this time and both ABC and Channel9 covered quite a few of the games, however, getting hold of these has been really quite difficult.
    I rang SANFL and they recommended the ABC or the State Library, however, both only hold finals from the 1989, 1990 period.

I checked out some excellent footage on YOUTUBE that was posted by NorthAdelaide and this covered a few games.

Has anyone out there got some footage from this time that they are willing to share with me? Or let me know where I might find some?
    Thanks

8. Angus Young

Angus Young Premiership Player

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    give me those days ANY DAY over football today

CP28 likes this.
  9. Carey05

Carey05 Draftee

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The number doesn't work. I rang it a few years back trying to track down some footage. The lady that answered didn't state the name of the business very clearly (it wasnt anything to do with videos) and was suprised when I asked about old SANFL footage. But the she said "we dont have any but my son has heaps at home!" and she gave me his number and I did get a tape of a few games from him, but he was a Port man and didn't have much that I was interested in.

One game that I would love to get hold of is the 1982 prelim final (the Grainger v Cornes match). If anyone can help with that please email me glenelg34738586@yahoo.com
    I was 14 at the time but will never forget the last few minutes of that game or the elation when the siren blew and the Bays had got up by a point! Was better than 85 and 86 and the Crows beating Footscray by a point in the 97 prelim!

Know what you mean about the 1990 gf. That one hurt more than any other... and I have now seen Glenelg lose 7 gf's including last Sunday...

10. Larry the Liquidator

Larry the Liquidator Suspended

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    Of course there is a connection between the two Port Adelaide clubs. It was the Port Adelaide Football Club who you see competing in the AFL today that spun off the Port Magpies we see in the SANFL today. It uses the same guersney design, the same colours, the same nicname and the same formal name. On top of all that, they have the same supporters and I belive thay may also share facilities at Alberton.

11. oldtimer2

oldtimer2 Draftee

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Can anyone help with information about umpires for the foillowing 1877 SAFA matches?

May 12 Adelaide v Bankers, Port Adelaide v Kensington
    May 19 South Park v Bankers
    May 26 Kensington v South Park
    June 2 South Adelaide v Kensington, Adelaide v South Park
    June 23 South Adelaide v Adelaide
    July 14 Kensington v Bankers
    July 21 Adelaide v South Park, Woodville v Kensington
    July 28 South Adelaide v Kensington
    August 11 Adelaide v Kensington, South Park v Woodville
    September 1 Port Adelaide v South Park

Many thanks

12. Steven Gerrard

Steven Gerrard All Australian

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Liverpool, Melbourn Victory, 49ers
    In case you didn't know, but I assume you all know so this post could be a complete waste of time, youtube is a great source of SANFL 80s footage. Not so much for matches in full, but certainly highlights. For me the 80s was the SANFL's golden era because it was the era I grew up in and started following the game, so these youtube videos are awesome to look back on and reminisce.

13. RussellEbertHandball

RussellEbertHandball Premium Platinum

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    The Mighty Blacks

A full list of SA Football Archieve videos available and link to short you tube clips to entice you to buy the videos.

http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/tradelist.htm

home page

http://safootballvideoarchive.webs.com/

14. Jayzel

Jayzel Debutant

Carlton
    Other teams:
    If I was hoping to find player season statistics (games, goals, kicks, marks, handballs) from the SANFL (specifically pre-1991) is there a good place to look? Does anyone on this list have even a partial database they'd be willing to share?

15. Rickles

Rickles Debutant

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Port Adelaide Magpies.
    hey guys looking for a sanfl sew on patch if you know of any. regards.

16. Vicman23

Vicman23 Draftee

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Experienced country footballer looking to relocate to Adelaide. Formerly of Adelaide my family is keen to move back. I am currently playing in country Victoria. I am looking to land a playing coaches roll and play mainly as a Ruckman, can also play as a key defender. If anyone could pm me with some coaching positions or point me in the right direction to find a coaching job would be appreciated.

17. scribbs

scribbs Debutant

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Huddersfield Giants
  18. banjomal

banjomal Cancelled

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    North Adelaide

I found a bit of info on Trove re some of the SAFA names from 1877, it might take a bit more hunting to find umpires names but that's an online place to look. State library would be the best bet I'd have thought, or SANFL/SAFA?

FOOTBALL IN EARLY DAYS.
    A question addressed to "The Advertiser" about the Victorian Club, which played from 1874 onward at the west foot of Montefiore Hill, led to the unearthing of a publication entitled '"The Footballer"' published in 1877 (the third year of publication) and edited by Mr. T. P. Power Hon. secretary of the Carlton Football Club). This book, which is the property of Mr. G. E. Downs, awakens memories of football in the seventies. It contains a record of the formation of the South Australian Football Association (now the Lcague) in 1877.
    The following were the affiliated clubs: —Adelaide, Bankers, Kensington. Port Adelaide, South Adelaide, South Park, Victorian, Woodville, and Prince Alfred College.
    The officers were - "President, his Honor S. J. Way, Chief Justice; vice-presidents, ,T. Acraman, D. Bower M.P., W. H. Bundey, G. Chapman, W. Cuthbertson, Ch. Hart. Geo. Hawkes S.M., Hon. J. Glyde, M.P., C. Peacock, W. Townsend, M.P.; treasurer, J.R.Osborn ; secretaries, R E. N. Twopeny, and Ray Moulden: committee, R. F. N. Twopeny, P. Canaway, H. Edwards, R. C. Cornish, Ray Moulden. C. T. Hargrave, jun., J. Raun, Charles Wells. C. C. Kingston, W. B. Holmesby, J. H. Sinclair, C. Colyer, B. J. Furnell, R. Whitfield, T. Letchford, J. R. Osborn."
    In that list are the names of many men who rose to fame in politics, law, and municipal affairs. The list of players is no less interesting.
    It is as follows:—Adelaide (founded, 1857, disbanded 1873, re-formed 1877)-J. K. and M. Acraman, F. A. Bleechmore, H. C. Burnett. P. J Canaway, J. D. Crichton, W. Case, W. E. Dalton, G. A. Farr, A. Fesenmeyer, U. Fisher, E. C, H. C. and Charles Hughes, T. James, W. Morgan, F. W. Stephen. A. and D. C. Scott, R. S. Poole. R. E. N. Twopeny (captain}, F. G. Waterhouse, H. Wyatt, James and John Young. Kensington - F. Day, A. Frew, R. W. Hall, A. Harrison, L. H. Herbert, Marshall, G. Milne, J. and E. T. Woods, P. Wood (captain). South Adelaide (formed 1876)— R. Absolom, P. Asgall, T. Blinman, R. Coonan, C. Curtis, E.Colley, W. H. J. Dedman, J. Green. A. W. and J. Jones, G. D. Kennedy (captain), A. Mehrtens, T. Reid, F. Stacey, W. Shaw, J. Sketheray, G. Sharp, D. Thompson. S. A. Wallace, G. Wooldridge. South Park (formed 1877)— C. Ashwin, A. J. Barker. J Coward, R. Cleland; J. Creswell, H. Durieu, S. Evans, J. Hall, M. B. Joe. J Jacob, G. Loughlin, R. Lewis, J. Lauder, J. Monro, J. Muirhead, K. J. Macaulay, S. Moore, A. Pettinger, J. Palmer, Reilley, J. H. Sinclair (captain), S. M. Turner, S. Teaghe. Victorian (nicknamed "The Tigers") - H. Allen, J. and R. Atkinson, H. Barrer, F. Culley, W. and J. Davis, G. E. Downs (captain), B. Furnell, T. Hall, G. Kingswood, W. Kuill, W. Lammey, C. Lennon, A. Miller, G. Murray, W. Osborne, W. Salzburg, J. Sharp, W. Stratton, F. Tweash, C. Warren.
    Old footballers will remember most of the names. The book does not give the personnel of every club. Adelaide played on the old Adelaide ground, and their colors were black and red, striped jersey, hose, and cap, and white knickerbockers. Kensington played on the Kensington Park Oval, in red and white striped jersey and cap and white trousers. Port Adelaide formed in 1888 (sic), were captained by William Fletcher and played at Glanville Park Oval; colors, rose pink jersey, hose, and cap, white knickerbockers. South Adelaide played on the South Park Lands and wore dark blue knickerbockers and jersey, blue and white striped hose and cap. South Park had a playing ground near the butts on the Sooth Park Lands; colors, white trousers, white jersey, trimmed with blue, blue and white cap. The Victorians were called "The Tigers"' because of their orange and black striped uniforms.

Extra info from trove:
    http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/art...rchLimits=l-publictag=1877+SA+Football+Season

The greatest failure of the season have been the central umpires, who have rarely given satisfaction, the best of these being perhaps Messrs. J. R. Osborn, H. Hughes, Tidswell, McAlister, and Reeves.

19. scribbs

scribbs Debutant

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Huddersfield Giants
  20. GremioPower

GremioPower Club Legend

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Grêmio (Brazil), DC United (USA)
    Uruguayana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD (USA)]
    There are three ways of looking at the PAFC/PAMFC saga:

a) PAFC was a SANFL from 1870 to 1996, and a new club, PAMFC, was born in 1997 to replace PAFC — which had gone to AFL;

b) PAMFC has always been a SANFL club, and a new club, PAFC was born in 1997 and joined the AFL; or

c) PAFC has always been a SANFL club, represented by a team called "Magpies," and, when joined the AFL in 1997, it was represented in the national competition by a team called "Power."

Regardless of the option one picks, it is common to all that PAFC was a SANFL club from 1870 to 1996, and that Magpies and Power are part of the same organization since 2011. The whole controversy boils down to 14 of the 147 years of Port Adelaide Football Club.

Now, two of the options above hold that PAFC was one, than became two, and now it is one again. For those, they need to answer to whom belong the flags won in 1998, 1999, and 2004. The other option answer those questions easily...