SANFL History

Remove this Banner Ad

Mots still the best SANFL player i've ever seen.
Love the man , will try and dig up an old polaroid of a Sturt family day up in the hills in about 83-84 with him and i.

Don't think i've mentioned it before but i got a copy of THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES book by Angel Fernandez a year back.
the definitive Sturt bible - 100 interviews with 100 past players.
Cannot recommend enough.
Yep great book

Love the man , will try and dig up an old polaroid of a Sturt family day up in the hills in about 83-84 with him and i.

Don't think i've mentioned it before but i got a copy of THE OLD DOUBLE BLUES book by Angel Fernandez a year back.
Cannot recommend enough.
There’s another book Angel has done about the 80’s era. Haven’t seen it but I’d expect it to be as professional as his other one.

There’s another book Angel has done about the 80’s era. Haven’t seen it but I’d expect it to be as professional as his other one.

It is.
Mostly photos but with stories from players of the era.

Cannot recommend enough.

I grew up not far from the Motleys and played footy with Brett Peters younger brother.

I always tell people that Mots was the best of the lot that went over across those few years and most people find it hard to believe considering the careers of Kernahan, Platten and Bradley but I have no doubt he was.

I'm old enough to have seen R. Ebert at his best and Mots is the closest I've seen to that.

He was just so good.

I used to get on the piss a bit with Michael Graham in Alice Springs and actually rang a mad Sturt supporting mate in 2002 (I remember the year as we were celebrating a flag at Westies and Flash joined in the celebrations with us despite not being associated with our club at the time) and popped him on the phone.

Made them both very happy.

I grew up not far from the Motleys and played footy with Brett Peters younger brother.

I always tell people that Mots was the best of the lot that went over across those few years and most people find it hard to believe considering the careers of Kernahan, Platten and Bradley but I have no doubt he was.

I'm old enough to have seen R. Ebert at his best and Mots is the closest I've seen to that.

He was just so good.

I used to get on the piss a bit with Michael Graham in Alice Springs and actually rang a mad Sturt supporting mate in 2002 (I remember the year as we were celebrating a flag at Westies and Flash joined in the celebrations with us despite not being associated with our club at the time) and popped him on the phone.

1985 aged 9

29853226_10157210093037388_1906561494_n.jpg

From all accounts it’s a very sad story of his wife and daughter passing away within months of each other last year.

That was terrible :'(

We should never have sacked him , only set us back a decade.

How ****in cool are lace up Guernseys!
The SANFL should bring them back, they're heaps better then the netball tops that teams wear these days
Yeah, they look great, SANFL banned them as they “were a hazard for broken fingers”.
Sturt laceups are very rare nowadays

Nothing more than a perspective.

I dont think its SA Footy..I think it has more to do with Crows Fans, many of whom are new to the game and never followed SANFL prior...and perhaps much must be attributed to Ports admission to the AFL with their whole history ( 34 SA Premierships, tradition etc)..

once Crows fans acknowledge,Ports premierships mean something...any position of strength they have has gone down the gurgler...How many times have you heard a Crows fan say " but you are in the big league now, those premierships were "Only" in the SANFL"...

With that statement comes firstly a demeaning and disregard for the SANFL..simply to shore up their "But we are better than you" stance.....and also gives more fuel to the position that they Truly saw their clubs as lesser than VFL clubs, prior to conglomerating into one big tribe to play against them. ( the VFL teams )

and finally have fallen into the AFL/Vic/Media driven history propaganda that the VFL/ now new AFL was the only competition in Australia and all other leagues and champions/ clubs were inferior...

Once Crows people acknowledge Ports history..they immediately denounce their Vic aligned position....and we all know that hell will freeze over before that happens...

Your thoughts?

PA1870

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts?
If it wasn't for your club's act of treachery, the SANFL would still be going strong today. It was a dog act, but typical of a dog club.

(I remember the year as we were celebrating a flag at Westies and Flash joined in the celebrations with us despite not being associated with our club at the time) and popped him on the phone.

Westies... really? Feds all the way!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back