SANFL List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

It will probably be Moore, he has earned it. But it would be handy to add a former AFL player to the mix to help guide the young mids.

It will probably be Moore, he has earned it. But it would be handy to add a former AFL player to the mix to help guide the young mids.

Here's this year's crop, but do we still have to wait a year or more before being allowed to recruit ex AFL players?:

Thanks for the heads up, I see that Chamberlain played 3 games in 2023 for West's senior side and that he's 21 years old, 180cm, 76kg.

What position does he play?
outside mid/half back flanker. decent enough ball user but never really kicked on from a couple of years back and just got pushed further and further behind as we brought through more kids especially this past season. not a star or anything but probably gets a gig each week even if port are fully fit

I had a go at the preseason best 22 and feel like what the Magpies need is another top flight state league midfielder. Ideally, for the AFL team as well, Boak is playing SANFL all year which certainly helps. Nick Moore, Mead and Jackson and good players at this level. One more mid would really help.

It was announced that he would be captain but that isn’t necessarily the same as the marquee player.

Although another extensive worldwide search might have concluded that he’s the best candidate for both.
Edit: yes that was the case when Steve Summerton was named captain but Henry Slattery was the marquee player...and oppo club supporters demanded that Slattery be captain because of that :drunk:

It would be a bit bemusing that a player that a SANFL club didn't want - presumably not included in WWT's 40 man squad in whatever year he was recruited - could be classified as the marquee. The marquee status should be reserved for an established/experienced SANFL player (if the rules allow a transfer without a ridiculous fee) or a delisted/retired AFL player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Luke Dunstan is coming back to SA then he'd be perfect. He's a big bodied, experienced mid that would rack them up at SANFL level. His skill level is ordinary, but that's why he never quite made it at AFL level, it's good enough for SANFL.

If Luke Dunstan is coming back to SA then he'd be perfect. He's a big bodied, experienced mid that would rack them up at SANFL level. His skill level is ordinary, but that's why he never quite made it at AFL level, it's good enough for SANFL.

Dunstan had a knee reco at the end of the 2023 season after rupturing an ACL playing VFL (yes, I had the same thought).

Here's this year's crop, but do we still have to wait a year or more before being allowed to recruit ex AFL players?:

I don’t know what their form was like in the vfl last year but Patrick Voss and Luke dunstan are the names that jump out at me.

Typical. One rule for the cows another for us

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
Both have same rules

Father-son and Next Generation Academy players can opt into the SANFL Rookie Program without approval from their SANFL club.

Arrangements are believed to include if he is not selected for Adelaide's SANFL team then Welsh will be able to play for the Woodville-West Torrens reserves or under-18s teams.

His time at the Crows will extend throughout the season in between his commitments with the state under-18s program, including through the national championships, and the AFL Academy.

Both have same rules

Father-son and Next Generation Academy players can opt into the SANFL Rookie Program without approval from their SANFL club.

Arrangements are believed to include if he is not selected for Adelaide's SANFL team then Welsh will be able to play for the Woodville-West Torrens reserves or under-18s teams.

His time at the Crows will extend throughout the season in between his commitments with the state under-18s program, including through the national championships, and the AFL Academy.
We have never had a father son be allowed to play more than a four-game stint with the Magpies - I don't understand how the Crows have managed to get Welsh for a whole season. It feels like there is a different rule because he is an expected high draft pick (and it benefits the Crows).

We have never had a father son be allowed to play more than a four-game stint with the Magpies - I don't understand how the Crows have managed to get Welsh for a whole season. It feels like there is a different rule because he is an expected high draft pick (and it benefits the Crows).
This was made at the end of the 2022 season

So why is Rome not playing a full season then? Did his SANFL club (Torrens) not agree?
They dont need permission from the club anymore. They said he will play for port after the national champs. I assume Welsh will also play in that so wont be playing for crows at the start either as club has said the below

They dont need permission from the club anymore. They said he will play for port after the national champs. I assume Welsh will also play in that so wont be playing for crows at the start either as club has said the below

The tweet literally says Welsh CAN play SANFL round 1. But Rome CAN’T play till after the U/18s Championships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back