Toby Thurstans - 15 touches, 6 marks, 7th best
Cain Ackland - 12 touches, 6 marks
Bowen Lockwood - 20 touches, 7 marks, 7th best
Shaun Burgoyne - 17 touches, 3 marks, 1 goal
Dom Cassisi - 24 touches, 6 marks, 1 goal, 3rd best
Paul Koulouritos - 2 goals in ressies
Jordan Barham - 3 goals in ressies
Nick Jackman - 5th best in ressies

Burgoyne played a very good game and should of been named in the best players. Lockwood also played well. thurstans was very impressive and would be first in line to get called up for a defensive position. Dom Cassisi and Michael Stevens also would have to come into consideration. Crabb was one of only 2 good South players!

Thanks for doing this Macca. I copy them into a text file to keep. Should be interesting reading at the end of the year when delisting / trading etc times come along.

(Not that i should be thinking of that now!)

I don't see why not. Trading/delisting decision should be made as much on early form as on the last few games.

Originally posted by portly
Thanks for doing this Macca. I copy them into a text file to keep. Should be interesting reading at the end of the year when delisting / trading etc times come along.

(Not that i should be thinking of that now!)

no problem mate.

Id say one of the players that needs to lift very soon or face delisting would be Cain Ackland. I think hes almost gone backwards since last year.

Totally agree on Junior Burger looks a class above the SANFL, wasn't his best game by a long way on Saturday but was still quiet good, should of been in Ports best...from what i remember (managed to get in the Sturt's sponsors box where the drinks were free all day long, almost made up for the loss.)

Also agree with the assessment of Ackland, he actually looked better in the AFL than he does in the SANFL. He is a bit of a worry, hopefully he is just not fully fit, which is what it looks like to me. Would want to start improving pretty soon.

Neither Lockwood nor Thurstans really impressed me on the weekend, just seemed like they just did enough, did what they had to do without over extending themselves. Probably wasn't either of their best day.

Crabb and Hall must of played alright considering that South got absolutely belted. Was Crabb BOG or just best for South (would be unlikely to be BOG when you lose by 32 goals!!!)? From what i have seen of both players, and more influential from what i have heard, both these guys look the goods. What chance of seeing either called up to the senior side?

Bassett seems to be hitting some form, how long before he gets injured? Lets hope he can stay fit and put some more pressure on the AFL players to perform.

Originally posted by Eago77
Crabb and Hall must of played alright considering that South got absolutely belted. Was Crabb BOG or just best for South

everytime i write BOG, 3rd best, 4th best etc, it is that they were named Best, 3rd best etc for their team.
So when i wrote BOG, it meant Crabb was Souths best.

The depth is good at present:
Burgoyne
Hall
Crabb
Bassett
Morgan
Thurstans
Brogan
Cassisi
M Stevens
all putting pressure on

Totally agree on Junior Burger looks a class above the SANFL, wasn't his best game by a long way on Saturday but was still quiet good, should of been in Ports best...from what i remember (managed to get in the Sturt's sponsors box where the drinks were free all day long, almost made up for the loss.)
Its his concentration that impresses me - when he's good, I don't expect we'll see his man troubling us at all.

Also agree with the assessment of Ackland, he actually looked better in the AFL than he does in the SANFL. He is a bit of a worry, hopefully he is just not fully fit, which is what it looks like to me. Would want to start improving pretty soon.
If he was at Freo, he'd be getting games. You don't just delisted fast, talented & strong marking 20 year old ruckmen just because they're not getting games in the 2nd placed senior side.

Neither Lockwood nor Thurstans really impressed me on the weekend, just seemed like they just did enough, did what they had to do without over extending themselves. Probably wasn't either of their best day.
And here we see what happens to your depth when the seconds can't see a way to break into the side. Bring one of these fellas in and give Wakelin a run at full-forward or something (and put him back in defence if the rookie plays ****house).

Crabb and Hall must of played alright considering that South got absolutely belted. What chance of seeing either called up to the senior side?
Choco said that he reckoned Hall would play 6-8 games this year at the start of the year.

Bassett seems to be hitting some form, how long before he gets injured? Lets hope he can stay fit and put some more pressure on the AFL players to perform.
Yeah, lets hope. He's got a stack of talent, but unlike his brother, hasn't been injury free for a long enough period to get an automatic inclusion when he's fit again.

Originally posted by Macca19

everytime i write BOG, 3rd best, 4th best etc, it is that they were named Best, 3rd best etc for their team.
So when i wrote BOG, it meant Crabb was Souths best.

Maybe you could change BOG to BFT (best for team):D . Just a suggestion. BOG could then be reserve for the actual BOG. Anyway i'm sure the lads not in adelaide are very thankful for your efforts, i doubt whether i could be asked to do it every week!

Originally posted by Porthos
Its his concentration that impresses me - when he's good, I don't expect we'll see his man troubling us at all.

He should be a walk up start in our side very soon. Hes like Hardwick and Shane Bond all rolled into one.

If he was at Freo, he'd be getting games. You don't just delisted fast, talented & strong marking 20 year old ruckmen just because they're not getting games in the 2nd placed senior side.

Nah he wouldnt. His form has been non existant. Just my opinion but i reckon he really does need to be showing something very soon or he may be delisted or on his last chance. His form this season has been non existant, and his second half of last year was very poor as well. Playing as a key forward he has no impact on the game. He is quick, but he doesnt present himself...he doesnt take enough marks, and rarely has any shots on goal (and when he does he usually misses). For someone on an AFL list and his size and potential he should be in Ports best players most weeks...but i cant remember him being in the best players in the last 10-12 games. He doesnt do enough at the moment and wouldnt be surprised at all if he was in fact dropped to Magpies ressies for a while.

Choco said that he reckoned Hall would play 6-8 games this year at the start of the year.

Chris is falling victim to us not having many injuries to our first team like last year. His form probably warrants selection, but i dont think the Power would be able to justify dropping someone for him at the moment.

Yeah, lets hope. He's got a stack of talent, but unlike his brother, hasn't been injury free for a long enough period to get an automatic inclusion when he's fit again.

Been very good the last two-three weeks and would be considered for this week i would think

Shaun Burgoyne is an absolute Rolls Royce. He's very unlucky not to be in the team now. It's strange how the "full game" policy so readily applied to Brent Guerra, doesn't seem to include Jared Poulton. That's not a dig at Poults whose form off the bench over the past month in particular has been terrific, just at the inequity of the "policy". In fact Poults probably deserves a start and Kingsley can go into the midfield rotation (he's looked ok on the ball this year .. I can't believe I just typed that ...)

Toby Thurstans blitzed Matty Lokan on Saturday, held him scoreless with only three possessions, while collecting 15 himself. I thought he deserved to be rated much higher in Sturt's best players than he was ... but the Advertiser journos have always been seduced by the high stats counts of midfield receivers.

Scott Bassett's best footy at AFL level has far and away been in defence ... yet Norwood are persisting with him at CHF. I wonder if that's a request from the PAFC? Usually Choco makes it clear if he thinks the SANFL clubs aren't doing what he think is best for "his" players (even his brother wasn't immune the day he played Paul Evans at CHB .. and that was in a trial game!).

Chris Hall needs to string a few consecutive games together for South before he'll be considered. He's missed a few this year with that niggly knee that's troubled him. If Crabb was on the main list, he probably would have had a run by now.

It's all problematic though given Choco's reluctance to make more than one change each week ... it'll probably be a straight swap - Lade for Wanganeen ...

Surely it is time to give Burgoyne another chance at AFL level, especially if Wanga doesn't play. If Lade pulls up it will give the selectors a headache. Does French drop out (hopefully) or will they go for three talls and drop maybe Poults or K. Cornes (both would be unlucky) or will it be Lade for Gav? So many questions, would be a hard job to pick a team each week at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...Anyway i'm sure the lads not in adelaide are very thankful for your efforts, ...

Absolutely.
Not only it is the only news of the kind most of us can get,
it is also top quality reporting.
Thanks Macca and all that contribute to these threads. :)

Surely it is time to give Burgoyne another chance at AFL level, especially if Wanga doesn't play. If Lade pulls up it will give the selectors a headache. Does French drop out (hopefully) or will they go for three talls and drop maybe Poults or K. Cornes (both would be unlucky) or will it be Lade for Gav? So many questions, would be a hard job to pick a team each week at the moment.

Both Poults and K Cornes would feel quite shafted if they were to be dropped. Poults hasnt put a foot wrong since coming into the side, and has seemed to imprvoed his attack on the ball (if that was possible anyway), and definatly his disposal. Ive only seen 1 or 2 bad kicks from Poults this year. K Cornes also hasnt really put a foot wrong once he came into the side. I certainly wouldnt mind if Kingsley was benched to give Poults or Kane a longer go.
Burgoyne really should get a game either this week or next.
Lade should really go back to teh SANFL and try and find some sort of form. So far this year, other than about 4 quarters of footy he has been a liability.

Poults certainly has improved a lot this year. Maybe we should of delisted him earlier;) .

I've always been one of his critics, never doubted his desire but always his skill level, looks like he is starting to prove me wrong. Good to see that he has improved his disposal, i also can't remember many of the old-style Poulton kicks being used this year. Maybe he could pass on the info to Kingers & also hope that Lyle may listen in on the conversation as his kicking in the SANFL is still lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back