Adam Morgan - 15 touches, 2 marks
Barry Brooks - 6 touches, 1 mark, 3 h/o
Scott Bassett - 14 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals, 6th best
Michael Stevens - 18 touches, 6 marks
Dom Cassisi - 14 touches, 4 marks, 1 goal
Cain Ackland - 18 touches, 2 marks, 21 h/o
Bowen Lockwood - 10 touches, 1 mark
Shaun Burgoyne - 29 touches, 5 marks, 2nd best

Id say with Collingwoods forward line we need to bring in an extra tall defender. Maybe Thurstans or S Burgoyne (played very well at deserves a proper go soon). Scott Bassett also played well and might be added as the tall defedner.

I watched the Port West game on TV so my thoughts:

S. Burgoyne was very good, showing the ability to have extra time and space at SANFL level which bodes well for a step up, his delivery is improving as he spends more time in the middle. Also tall enough to take a good overhead mark, was used as Port's target for the kickouts often which speaks for his value in the air for a midfielder.

Ackland needs to learn how to attack a marking contest and take an overhead mark, too often it slips thourhg his fingers, or he is bodied out because he doesnt attack it hard enough when he has a run in.

Cassissi was well beaten by Ebert through the 2nd and 3rd quarters, was good in the 1st and the last half of the final quarter though. I think as a midfielder he has to make more contests before he demands a spot in the A team.

Of the 3 that were involved in the game Burgoyne definitely looked like the one primed to take the next step, and should get his oppurtunity soon.

Of the potential draftees Ebert may be worth a 3rd round draft pick by years end, unusual low flat kick in that he grubs it along the ground a few times but when he gets hold of it he gets some distance. Didn't look overly endowed with pace but was still beating Cassisi to contests through the 2nd and 3rd. Only his 2nd game and should be clearer by years end.

Aaron Davey looked good in his first game, good reader of the play, quick and skillful. Don't know if we necessarily need a flashy forward, but he may show other strings to his bow in the coming weeks, probably not strong enough to play midfield yet.

I doubt we will need an extra tall defender, Collingwood won't be in the comfort of Colonial Stadium as they were against Brisbane.

Shaun Burgoyne probably wouldn't be a bad option though, at least he could play as a short or a tall.

Maybe Shaun Burgoyne in for Jared Poulton.

Was at the Port v West game again was impressed with Junior Burger (for about the 3rd week in a row) probably deserves a call up into the AFL.
Agreed that Casissi didn't look great against the magpies. Ebert beat him but they both have a fair way to go.
Ackland looked shocking, but it was his first game back. He is a long way behind Brogan IMO.
Also was impressed with Aaron Davey, although he is only tiny (not as tiny as the little field ump!!), got a lot of the ball and kicked three(?) in his first game, great effort.
Matty Lokan kicked four but missed a few, but for mine he looks a little slow & short to be a full-forward at AFL level. His marking is outstanding but his kicking stilll lets him down, although he shouldn't of been playing against West as his ankle was absolutely f**ked on Saturday and was suprising to see him line up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back