Game Day SANFL Preliminary Final - Crows vs Glenelg (3.15pm @ Adelaide Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate you have to be THE most pessimistic bloke on this forum. You’re commentary isn’t insightful at all, it’s just miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Just block him. Sadly Marty offers nothing. He just has a long running agenda that he wants to post about AGAIN and AGAIN.

Eventually, this team of teenagers was likely to get overrun by a team full of mature bodies.

We got everything we needed out of this, giving people a run in the role they'll play 12 to 24 months from now.

They're developing together and building for the future. Now, let's wrap this up and finish this terrible ******* year, and start moving towards 2020.

I was happy with what our kids showed in this finals series. There should be AFL opportunities for many of them next season. IMO, the three that our locks for R1-2020 are Fog, Jones & McHenry. Sholl, also, not far away.

Matt Rowell same height and only 3kgs heavier - McHenry will be fine.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope you're right. He's still the lightest player of all afl lists at the moment. He's only 19+ so there's hope. He's not going to magically turn into the hulk. We have to send him to Maccas for training.

I was happy with what our kids showed in this finals series. There should be AFL opportunities for many of them next season. IMO, the three that our locks for R1-2020 are Fog, Jones & McHenry. Sholl, also, not far away.

Yeah, think we need to do what needs to be done to get Sholl into our firsts, we need a good user of the ball who kicks both feet. That ability makes up for a lot in the modern game

mike Smyth going very hard down a Jones bust line. I’m predicting more egg on Mike Smyth’s face.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gallucci (laziness and lack of intensity) and McPherson (injuries) are the only ones I think we can rule a line through at this stage.

Poholke, Himmelberg and Davis need big pre-seasons though.

Gallucci (laziness and lack of intensity) and McPherson (injuries) are the only ones I think we can rule a line through at this stage.

Poholke, Himmelberg and Davis need big pre-seasons though.
Davis and McAdam look like they could do something next year. Davis needs to put on some size. Mcadam needs to get super fit. Poholke Is a bust. Berg is a worry. Lacks intensity. Needs a big preseason.
Players that will impact next year:
Fogarty
Jones
McHenry
Stengle
Davis
McAdam
Sholl
Gallucci. Not sold on this guy. Make or break year.

Not sure on Berg.
Expect rapid improvement from Butts and Hamill.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the game:

McHenry - Really like this guy, natural midfielder, clean hands, clean disposal, tackles hard and finds the footy. Disagree with comments that he's too small, just don't see it.

Scholl - Definitely needs to put a bit of bulk on, but definitely something there. Beautiful kick of the footy, smooth mover.

Fogarty - Gun.

Jones - Average game from Jones.

Poholke - Just don't see it. Lacks composure under pressure. Will be a gun state league player, just doesn't appear to have what it takes.

Gallucci - Needs to do more. Has his moments, then is invisible for prolonged periods.

McAdam - Starting to settle nicely and show why he was rated so highly. Hopefully can improve his fitness over the preseason and be raring to go round one.

Strachan - There's something there. Unfashionable, but moves suprisingly well and can take a contested grab.

Himmelberg - Had his moments, again needs to work harder on remaining involved in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos to the Tigers for going over to applaud Otten off. Nice mark of respect.

Fog was the stand out, next year he will have a breakout year at AFL level

Gooch is a bust, can't find his own ball and offers nothing if the ball isn't fed to him.

Scholl, Jones and Ned have class, all need a bit of bulk and some exposure at AFL level.

Himmelburg got outplayed by Maxy Proud who is 12cm shorter. Jury may be out but the verdict they bring back may not be pleasant unless he can learn to hold onto some marks.

Hope the Tigers can beat Port next week.

I hope you're right. He's still the lightest player of all afl lists at the moment. He's only 19+ so there's hope. He's not going to magically turn into the hulk. We have to send him to Maccas for training.
Zac Fisher doesn't have a problem, similar stature, similar player and he's been in the system for 3 years...goes alright too I might add

footy4ever

Nat Fyfe 1st year on an AFL list pic below.
And guess what weight he was when drafted?
Yep 70kg who'd a thunk that eh? Weighs in at a tidy 92kg now...
What weight did you say Neddy was again? Was it 70kg?
I'm not suggesting Neddy will ever be the Incredible Hulk but ffs he's not even been in the system for 12 months yet.

Article from 2012..

Coach Ross Lyon has introduced a generic cut-off mark with skin folds for all players. Everyone must meet that mark to be able to play. I’m really lucky with my body that my skin folds stay really low.
My biggest battle has been trying to put on weight over the past couple of years. I put on about 4kg over the pre-season and my playing weight will be around 87kg this year.
It’s a far cry from the skinny 70kg I was when I was drafted back in 2009. I’ve also grown about 4cm since then and am about 190cm now.

footy4ever

I'm not suggesting Neddy will ever be the Incredible Hulk but ffs he's not even been in the system for 12 months yet.

Article from 2012..

Coach Ross Lyon has introduced a generic cut-off mark with skin folds for all players. Everyone must meet that mark to be able to play. I’m really lucky with my body that my skin folds stay really low.
My biggest battle has been trying to put on weight over the past couple of years. I put on about 4kg over the pre-season and my playing weight will be around 87kg this year.
It’s a far cry from the skinny 70kg I was when I was drafted back in 2009. I’ve also grown about 4cm since then and am about 190cm now.

View attachment 746795
View attachment 746796
Fyfe had that "coathanger" shoulder frame. Was always going to get big.

Milera similar. He was quite light when started and just now starting to get some bulk.

Not sure McHenry really has that shape.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Zac Fisher doesn't have a problem, similar stature, similar player and he's been in the system for 3 years...goes alright too I might add
Zac is a favourite player of mine. He’s as elusive as anyone in the comp. That’s how he survives. He’s a tad heavier than Ned and has better evasive skills. It looks to me like Ned tries to play a game not suited to his stature.

footy4ever

Article from 2012..

View attachment 746795
View attachment 746796
Is Ned going to grow 4 cms in that time? I can’t see it myself. Sure he’ll put on some weight but his body type will make it harder for him at AFL level.

Is Ned going to grow 4 cms in that time? I can’t see it myself. Sure he’ll put on some weight but his body type will make it harder for him at AFL level.
Ned looks like he can play he will naturally fill out

For me his only downside is his composure which affects his disposal

Will play plenty of AFL games will be one of those hard nuts but not a lot of class

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Zac is a favourite player of mine. He’s as elusive as anyone in the comp. That’s how he survives. He’s a tad heavier than Ned and has better evasive skills. It looks to me like Ned tries to play a game not suited to his stature.
In footy (or sport in general) size isn’t the be all factor, but how you use your body and the positioning and correct technique in tackling or bumping.

Zak Butters is a good example from Port of a small type player but goes at it relentlessly and seems to somehow remain intact and plays on weekly.

Ned looks like he can play he will naturally fill out

For me his only downside is his composure which affects his disposal

Will play plenty of AFL games will be one of those hard nuts but not a lot of class

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
So, a Joel Selwood type player then .....I'll take that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back