Game Day SANFL Semi-Final - Crows vs Roosters @ Adelaide Oval 3:15pm

Remove this Banner Ad

As the radio guys said today on SEN. You support a club. Not a team. This team is part of our club.
Nope, can't agree. I've been following North for 40yrs and won't change because the Crows enter the comp. It's likely Crows won't be in the SANFL forever anyway.

I have commitments on a Saturday arvo so don't get to watch much SANFL footy, but I am only interested to see how our young blokes go. I couldn't care less if the Crows SANFL team is winning or losing, but understand that it's better for their development to be winning, or being competitive at the least.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a similar POV on this.

I know some of the most passionate crows supporters at afl games that will boo them against their Sanfl team. We will never be a club until we have supporters supporting the club at all levels and have a club members base
And what happens when an AFL reserves starts, we're just supposed to go back and support our SANFL team again?

And what happens when an AFL reserves starts, we're just supposed to go back and support our SANFL team again?
Who are you more passionate about?

Games you watch/attend, actively support, talk about in forums etc.

I bet if you think about it, you are more a Crows supporter than North Adelaide.

And when they play each other, always a winner.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who are you more passionate about?

Games you watch/attend, actively support, talk about in forums etc.

I bet if you think about it, you are more a Crows supporter than North Adelaide.

And when they play each other, always a winner.

Definitely more passionate about the Roosters as I've followed them since I was about 5yo, and been to many games growing up (not many winning GF though, and even sat through a 1.8 GF loss to those pr1cks down the road!)

I've probably only been to a handful of Crows games over the years (including their first game v Hawks), just don't like the crowds. I'm passionate about them but just not on the same levels.

I honestly don't think the Crows and Port should be in the SANFL, but I'm not going to go down that well worn argument path. The sooner there's an AFL reserves the better.

Definitely more passionate about the Roosters as I've followed them since I was about 5yo, and been to many games growing up (not many winning GF though, and even sat through a 1.8 GF loss to those pr1cks down the road!)

I've probably only been to a handful of Crows games over the years (including their first game v Hawks), just don't like the crowds. I'm passionate about them but just not on the same levels.

I honestly don't think the Crows and Port should be in the SANFL, but I'm not going to go down that well worn argument path. The sooner there's an AFL reserves the better.
This sums up my position with SANFL/AFL, my first and foremost concern is a Sturt premiership then an Adelaide AFL one, ideally both in one year. I don’t boo Adelaide in the SANFL but I don’t want them to beat Sturt and I’d be as pissed off if Sturt lost to Adel as much as any other team….there is no win win.
Footy is complicated in SA, there is no one size fits all.

I agree we shouldn't be in the SANFL either.

VFL/AFL Reserves should happen.

I dont think anyone wants us to be in the SANFL, the club included. But unless the AFL is paying for us to be in an AFL reserves it is what it is.
Was a huge Bays fan in the 80s, still like them to do well, but prefer the Crows in the SANFL these days. Their success leads to AFL success which is my priority.
Yesterday as others have mentioned, Strachan was disappointing, as was our manning up, too many times the Roosters were left free in the middle.

As the radio guys said today on SEN. You support a club. Not a team. This team is part of our club.
Its not a team, its the reserves. I don't follow a SANFL team, so I guess Crows are my SANFL team but I only watch it to see how the kids are going.

I would rather lose by 10 goals but have Pedlar, McAsey, Taylor etc play good games and show improvement, than win and have an even spread with Wright kicking the majority of the goals.

I think it's all pretty complicated and understand why some people put their non-Crows SANFL club first. If there was new league come in over and above the AFL I don't think I'd jump off the Crows either.

But as someone who has known no time in my life when the Crows didn't exist they are 100% the club I follow and maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it does get a bit annoying when SANFL guys like Rowey perhaps imply something like you can follow the Crows for entertainment but to support a club you do have to go back to your SANFL club.

It's ok to support the Crows and be as passionate about them, just like I assume a Carlton supporter grows up supporting Carlton as number 1, a Collingwood supporter grows up supporting Collingwood above everything else.

But like has been said, it's complicated and there is no wrong or right way to support the club. It might be the right time for the Crows to step up into that position though, with the new training facility and potential club rooms etc. even though I've not thought they are important with the way I connect with the club.

I dont think anyone wants us to be in the SANFL, the club included. But unless the AFL is paying for us to be in an AFL reserves it is what it is.
Was a huge Bays fan in the 80s, still like them to do well, but prefer the Crows in the SANFL these days. Their success leads to AFL success which is my priority.
Yesterday as others have mentioned, Strachan was disappointing, as was our manning up, too many times the Roosters were left free in the middle.

Would be nice for the AFL to pay for us but we are close to paying $500k per year to the SANFL as a fee for letting us play in their comp.

500k would cover the travel costs for 22 weeks.

But that would take leadership from Olsen and won't be one of his patented win-wins for his beloved SANFL.

SANFL fans don't want us, SANFL umps don't want us, SANFL clubs love our money and extra home games.

It's time to move on.

I went to the game firstly to see Norwood win and then Crows. The Crows had such little support and I suspect those who went stayed quiet. I had a few beers so I wasn’t shy and piped up especially when some North dick commented about the lack of supporters.

I got quizzed on supporting the Crows.

Basically you feel like a leper supporting them.

We need to get out of the comp and I hope Norwood win on Saturday, but I think if the Crows get through, a lot of supporters will come out of the woodwork and I also think we will win, we had a lot of players who played s**t. Plus I hope Godden comes up with a plan to combat Norths keepies off, they dominated possession and uncontested marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice for the AFL to pay for us but we are close to paying $500k per year to the SANFL as a fee for letting us play in their comp.

But that would take leadership from Olsen and won't be one of his patented win-wins for his beloved SANFL.

SANFL fans don't want us, SANFL umps don't want us, SANFL clubs love our money and extra home games.

It's time to move on.
You think the AFL doesn't pay for clubs to travel to games in its comps?
It is time to move on, and the SANFL fans can GAGF, we'll keep our money then. Sick of Rowey carrying on about it too, one day he'll realise that it is a 2nd tier comp and has been for 30 years.
Think you're being hard on Olsen though, and just plain making up his love for the SANFL. He screwed us when at the SANFL because that was his job, and the clowns that were at the AFC then let him

It's time to move on.
We’d only travel interstate for 11 weeks.. maybe 9 or 10 if one ofthe teams was the Powa reserves team..

Although then the AFL would have to pay for the interstate team to travel to us..

Anyway… ot would be a further nail in the SANFL coffin.. and fxxk them.. they treat the crows as a cash cow and then rig the umpiring against us..

I went to the game firstly to see Norwood win and then Crows. The Crows had such little support and I suspect those who went stayed quiet. I had a few beers so I wasn’t shy and piped up especially when some North dick commented about the lack of supporters.

We need to get out of the comp and I hope Norwood win on Saturday, but I think if the Crows get through, a lot of supporters will come out of the woodwork and I also think we will win, we had a lot of players who played s**t. Plus I hope Godden comes up with a plan to combat Norths keepies off, they dominated possession and uncontested marks.

Yesterdays game highlighted something for me.

The Crows had more talent than North but North wanted it more. This I believe is why very few reserves sides will win a premiership. Traditional Sanfl clubs live to win that Sanfl premiership. Its drummed into them from juniors all the way through pre season of seniors. Where as, The Crows reserves side wouldnt have mentioned it once. Its all about fulfilling their roles and growing into an AFL player. Sanfl clubs will simply fight for it more.

North have the worst supporters in the league, real nasty streak some of them have.

A lot of them are real losers.

Yesterdays game highlighted something for me.

The Crows had more talent than North but North wanted it more. This I believe is why very few reserves sides will win a premiership. Traditional Sanfl clubs live to win that Sanfl premiership. Its drummed into them from juniors all the way through pre season of seniors. Where as, The Crows reserves side wouldnt have mentioned it once. Its all about fulfilling their roles and growing into an AFL player. Sanfl clubs will simply fight for it more.
I think this causes a lot the mixed feelings about the crows in the comp. Winning a SANFL premiership would be nice but at the end of the day it's always going to mean more the traditional SANFL clubs than it will to crows. It will feel like have stolen something from one of the other clubs.

It's just too hard to brake from the mentality that it is a reserves team, even when the club takes it as seriously as they have this year.

I think this causes a lot the mixed feelings about the crows in the comp. Winning a SANFL premiership would be nice but at the end of the day it's always going to mean more the traditional SANFL clubs than it will to crows. It will feel like have stolen something from one of the other clubs.

It's just too hard to brake from the mentality that it is a reserves team, even when the club takes it as seriously as they have this year.

I agree. I do think as a club the Crows do want to win the Sanfl premiership. But to the AFL listed players, they will have the feeling like they are playing reserves.

I absolutely disagree with your thoughts on Frampton .....watch, i mean truly watch what he's doing out there ....not just stats

His methods of getting the ball, vary .....leads, fly's in packs, and man on man .....deft handballs, tap on's
Very hard playing deep fwd as he is, with the shocking way the ball comes in at SANFL level .....rarely has a situation where he's not in a pack of 6-7 players

Does he have a way to go .....absolutely ....but not as far as people think ....he's also a DEF at AFL level
I absolutely disagree with your comments on McAsey. He is nowhere near being an AFL footballer.

This is not the line the AFC is peddling, they are bouyant about how good our SANFL players are!

Newchurch will be a delist, I'm the only one calling it but he would not survive the pressure and hardness at AFL level.

Some think because we have a young list we have future stars waiting in the wings. Some mistake youth for quality. We would be lucky to have 25 players who are truly AFL standard.

Went to the game - seriously why are we even still playing in this competition. Let's take our club and money and tell this competition to go **** itself. The umpiring was hideous, really biased.

The Good

Strachan - like him, adds something O'Brien lacks - x factor.
Nankervis - Has a future. Will be a quality AFL player.
Taylor - Developing nicely but another small. Enough already.
Scholl - not a fan but was okay.
Worrell - Another who should be in the mix for 2023, Doesn't look like a genuine KPP, probably 3rd tall.
Frampton - Must retain. Out Kpp stocks are desperately thin.

The Bad

Borlace - Not even SANFL standard. Zero composure. At least 3 of Norths goals were due to his errors. Terrible game.
Newchurch - Not AFL standard.
McAsey - not even worth mentioning. Just a horrendous player. You would be gutted if you wasted a 3rd round pick on him. Another "Hamish Special".
Cook - soft as butter. Will not be an AFL footballer. Supporters need to stop with the false hope.
Senior AFC players allowing Moore to push them around. Fly the flag just for once FFS.

I went along mainly to watch Pedlar and came away disappointed. Just doesn't get enough of the ball. If he can't build a tank so he can play in the midfield will not make it.
Gone back though the games this year,

In the 18 minor round games, only twice did we have more free kicks than the other side (round 4 vs Centrals; round 8 vs Norwood). This despite us finishing 2nd and wiping the floor against a couple of the other clubs.

Norwood won the count 21-18 in the Qualifying final (despite us winning by 9 goals) and yesterday, North won it 21-13.

Yesterday was disgraceful. Some of the decision against us were staggering.

Even though he doesn't want us in the SANFL, Cornesy has bought up the free kick imbalance that exists both for us and Port Magpies over the past couple of years.

Surely it's not premeditated?

Even though he doesn't want us in the SANFL, Cornesy has bought up the free kick imbalance that exists both for us and Port Magpies over the past couple of years.
Surely it's not premeditated?
Well... you have to wonder about this. The imbalance can't have escaped the the club's notice.

A bit out there I guess, but maybe there's a hidden agreement between the club and the SANFL (and Poo maybe) that we just don't benefit from 50-50 situations? Frees that could go our way, don't - and frees that could go our opponent's way do.

I don't mind it if this is so.

It's time to move on.
So what do Port pay to play in the SANFL these days?

I know that they have the same SANFL player eligibility rules as us for finals, but assume that they pay less to play while getting the bonus of home games at Alberton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back