SANFL W - SAWFL - Lower Leagues News and Reviews

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Interesting that the players still need permits to move between Leagues - from SAWFL to AFL - if I have read this right

I went to the triple header at X Convenience Oval today (or Elizabeth Oval for the traditionalists).

Got there towards the end of the Glenelg v North game, so can’t really comment on the game, except it appears Glenelg kicked themselves out of it. Final score in that game was Glenelg 2.10.22, North 7.4.46

Second game was Sturt v West, and West dominated this game from the outset. A couple of late Sturt goals saving some pride for them. Final score was Sturt 2.3.15, West 5.6.36

Which leads us into the main game between Centrals and Norwood (the Centrals girls turning back the clock in wearing blue shorts). Norwood dominated the early minutes but only put 1.1 on the board. Centrals scrapped and fought for possession all day. It wasn’t clean at times, but they kept fighting. While they only score 0.1 in the first quarter, you knew they weren’t going to go away. The next couple of quarters was a seesawing battle as the teams traded goals. Katelyn Rosenzweig kicked 2 third quarter goals to bring the margin back to a solitary point at three quarter time, momentum clearly with the Dogs.

Rosenzweig then kicked another two goals, and had not only out scored Norwood of her own boot at that time of the game as Centrals took a game high 11 point lead. From there, Norwood responded with a goal to bring the margin back within a kick. From there, Centrals held on for dear life, with the ball camped inside Norwood’s 50 for most of the last 6-7 minutes of the game. Centrals suffocated any Norwood attack, but couldn’t clear it out of defence. Eventually they got it out, and a Norwood brain fade saw a 25m penalty (and I think a report), to ensure Centrals we’re going to cause the boil over of the round. Final score was Centrals 5.3.33, Norwood 4.5.29.

One final thought. I must commend the SANFL for sorting out the umpiring woes that plagued the SANFLW competition last season (it was so bad it was borderline dangerous last season, and would’ve been had they been umpiring men’s matches). The standard of umpiring was considerably improved today. There were still some errors, and a couple of howlers, but the number of calls they got right was markedly higher than last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One final thought. I must commend the SANFL for sorting out the umpiring woes that plagued the SANFLW competition last season (it was so bad it was borderline dangerous last season, and would’ve been had they been umpiring men’s matches). The standard of umpiring was considerably improved today. There were still some errors, and a couple of howlers, but the number of calls they got right was markedly higher than last season.
In previous years they were using amatuer league umpires

But they were Using umpires only the one season.

This had a few problems.
1) they were using less experienced umpires each year as they found others on the panel.

If they followed this selection process for this year I’d hate to see what they came out with.

2) different leagues had different interpretations on rules. Ie. amatuer league has the traditional out of bounds ruling while sanflw has the last possession rule. So the calls we’re different than one would expect.

This year is the first year the sanfl is using their umpires for the league. I havnt been out to a game so don’t know if it’s the league panel or the junior season panel. The amatuer league is still supplying some top up umpires but I believe it’s the more experienced guys now.

North put on a clinic at Elizabeth, destroying Centrals by 54 points.

After two rounds, it’s safe to say South, West and North will occupy their top 3 spots. Everyone else is battling for 4th spot
Seeing stat updates for north on social media has me thinking this is their best team yet.

Woodland was one of our best in 2018 before signing for the 2019 season in AFLw (I think Melbourne, not 100%) having her back with a years experience in the AFLw has improved north. Plus gore playing for the crows rather than south this year has dragged them back.

But I disagree it’ll be south west and north

Or to be more specific, I don’t have west up there. Until Sturt does something, I will not rate any win over them. And I’m not going to get behind a team just for beating Glenelg.

This week can decide a few things for me.

I know north is good. So if west can compete with them I’ll start to think they’re a finals chance
Norwood have started slow, but if they’d can compete with south I’ll have them fighting for finals too.
If eagles can beat Sturt by 4 goals I think that shows they’ve improve do drastically on last year and can push.

Centrals vs Glenelg is interesting. I have no gauge on either yet. I’m thinking centrals to win but I got no idea

In previous years they were using amatuer league umpires

But they were Using umpires only the one season.

This had a few problems.
1) they were using less experienced umpires each year as they found others on the panel.

If they followed this selection process for this year I’d hate to see what they came out with.

2) different leagues had different interpretations on rules. Ie. amatuer league has the traditional out of bounds ruling while sanflw has the last possession rule. So the calls we’re different than one would expect.

This year is the first year the sanfl is using their umpires for the league. I havnt been out to a game so don’t know if it’s the league panel or the junior season panel. The amatuer league is still supplying some top up umpires but I believe it’s the more experienced guys now.

It looks like it's predominantly junior season panels with a few SANFL league umpires on AFLW duties - the crew from Saturday's Centrals v North match looked very young, and to be honest, probably could've done with some assistance of a more senior umpire out there with them. Don't get me wrong, they did a good job, and certainly better than the bottom of the barrel amateur umpires from last season, but some of their calls were quite inconsistent, something having a senior umpire out there in a mentoring capacity could've helped with.

It looks like it's predominantly junior season panels with a few SANFL league umpires on AFLW duties - the crew from Saturday's Centrals v North match looked very young, and to be honest, probably could've done with some assistance of a more senior umpire out there with them. Don't get me wrong, they did a good job, and certainly better than the bottom of the barrel amateur umpires from last season, but some of their calls were quite inconsistent, something having a senior umpire out there in a mentoring capacity could've helped with.

This needs to happen at the AFLW level too. Not just for a couple of games but for ALL of them. The amateur league umpires, well... yeah, I shall keep my silence about that as a player in those leagues. Let's just say that as someone who was trained as an umpire by the SANFL, I am the type of player they would hate to be umpiring.

This needs to happen at the AFLW level too. Not just for a couple of games but for ALL of them. The amateur league umpires, well... yeah, I shall keep my silence about that as a player in those leagues. Let's just say that as someone who was trained as an umpire by the SANFL, I am the type of player they would hate to be umpiring.
The umpiring in the ammos women’s is so up and down
Some game get the div 1 guys who let the game flow
Others get kids who are too whistle happy

This year might be more consistent with games moving to Saturday.........but maybe not for the better as the best might still be occupied with men’s football.

Where have the crow girls landed?

I see hatchard is a rooster :D

Centrals: S.Allan
Norwood: N.Allen
North: A.Hatchard
West: C.Biddell, M.Newman, S.Thompson
Eagles: R.Forth
Glenelg: E.Marinoff, E.Jones, D.Varnhagen, C.Gould
South: N.Gore, N.Campbell

Most back with their prior clubs they’ve played for before except Thompson, Forth & Varnhagen, while Sarah Allan joined her father’s former club. Most should be a class above, draftcentral had them all bar Thompson and Campbell in their team of the week as you‘d expect should be the case when they play in this league.

Actually got what I was after with the SANFLW season being played in the middle of the year in winter like I think it should be permanently, the fact they’re finishing the season at all is very good on the SANFL’s part.

draftcentral are giving great recaps of the games, as well as team of the week and game previews: https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/tag/sanflw/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back