Remove this Banner Ad

Cat In A Hat

All Australian
Suspended
Mar 12, 2004
Fred's crutch
Other Teams
Geelong
Does anyone else share the opinion that the a move to create a AFL 2nd division could be good.

You could have teams from NT, Tassie, Ballarat, Newcastle, Gold Coast etc. It would develop football in those regions and would serve as a good higher standard competition for AFL reserves to play in:

Potential Teams include:

1. Tasmania
2. Gold Coast
3. Ballarat
4. Newcastle
5. Sunshine Coast
6. Northern Territory
7. Perth
8. West Sydney
9. Bendigo
10. Canberra
11. Townsville
12. Cairns
etc

Maybe even a team from Papua New Guinea to make the competition expand outside oz.

Originally posted by Cat In A Hat
Does anyone else share the opinion that the a move to create a AFL 2nd division could be good.

You could have teams from NT, Tassie, Ballarat, Newcastle, Gold Coast etc. It would develop football in those regions and would serve as a good higher standard competition for AFL reserves to play in:

Potential Teams include:

1. Tasmania
2. Gold Coast
3. Ballarat
4. Newcastle
5. Sunshine Coast
6. Northern Territory
7. Perth
8. West Sydney
9. Bendigo
10. Canberra
11. Townsville
12. Cairns
etc

Maybe even a team from Papua New Guinea to make the competition expand outside oz.

Nah too many Qld Based Teams. Old not a Footy state.

To create a divsion 2 this is what i think should happen

4 teams from the AFL to drop down the divison 2. You can argue which teams it would be with options available being
1. 4 Melbourne Teams
2. The bottom 4 teams from on the ladder at th end of this year 3. The 4 Poor Sides in the AFL ( and everyone says they are Footscary, North Melbourne, Melbourne and Carlton)

The other 8 teams can be from
1. Tasamania
2. Darwin
3. Canberra Team
4. Another Adeladie Team
5 Another Perth Team
6 Another Sydney Team
7 Another Brisbane Team
8. Bring Back Fitzroy.

Easily Done but it will never happen, It will cost too much

The cost would be too great for this to ever happen. Half the teams will drop out before one season is done. Shame though, sounds like a pretty decent idea, just would cost too much.

WELL!!!
What has the world come to?
Newcastle?
West sydney?
2 divisions?
What f****** game are we playing here?
Are you talking about soccer,basketball or both?
Doesnt sound like football.
Lets just go the whole way and have All Australian confrences,with a southern,western,eastern,northern and central sections,and then regional section finals with 100 of the top teams around Australia battle it out playing 63 games each and thenhave a final....after 3 years of battle and in the 4th year have a footy olympics!!!!!

Please.

I think this would be the template for a three-league competition.

South Australia
Norwood
Central District
South Adelaide
West Adelaide

Victoria
Port Melbourne
Sandringham
Coburg
Frankston

Western Australia
East Perth
East Fremantle
West Perth
Subiaco

• Banned
In response

raboyle - I agree with the basic format but your not going to be
able to support more teams from Victoria. But shouldn't we try expand into non-traditional states?

roo - I think your being unnecessarily pesimistic.

And I think that maybe even put in a team from NZ, the preseason games there get 15,000 people. With League support they couldn't be in any more vumerable the Bulldogs, Kangaroos, Melbourne etc.

The good thing about a second division is that you could have a lower salary cap so clubs could spend less money and hence be more financially viable so dropping back could save a club rather than disadvantage it.

Cat in the hat - The concept is ok,but to have non-existing teams that need to be created would be hard thats all eg: West Sydney,Newcastle or even a NZ team
Maybe to Merge the WAFL,VFL and SANFL teams only, would be interesting ,that would make 29 teams........i think off the top of my head!,then you could have 2 divisions of say....14 and 15 maybe?

What about an end of season series?

The WAFL champion club could play the VFL champion and the winner of that would meet the SANFL premier team in the decider.

Originally posted by raboyle

South Australia
Norwood
Central District
South Adelaide
West Adelaide

Victoria
Port Melbourne
Sandringham
Coburg
Frankston

Western Australia
East Perth
East Fremantle
West Perth
Subiaco

Got to agree with you there, only because you have South Adelaide Panthers as one of the four SA teams :)

South Adelaide?

This is a silly idea.

A return to the Champions of Australia series or perhaps a pre-season knockout cup is one thing, but this is a pie in the sky.

And really, who the hell really wants it?

Leave the SANFL and the other state leagues as they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow. Serious bump that.

Not going to happen any time soon. The SANFL in particular is still travelling fairly well.
Its hard to see there being enough money in clubs outside SA to make this a viable concern. Its also questionable whether it would add anything, and the AFL players and Vicotorian alignments would need to be sorted (ideally with an AFL reserves).
As said above, if in the 80s every club from the VFL, SANFL and WAFL had been included that would have been different. But purely as a second (and lower) tier, no chance. That said, the NEAFL has pretty big travel costs.

I can see it now, Central v Townsville in front on 123 patrons & a dog.
Lets just get the balance in the AFL right. Local competitions should be just that, local. The cost of interstate travel would make this sort of competition economically unviable for anything but the top level of the sport, the AFL itself. Thats our professional competition that people are interested in.

South Australia
Norwood
Central District
South Adelaide
West Adelaide

Victoria
Port Melbourne
Sandringham
Coburg
Frankston

Western Australia
East Perth
East Fremantle
West Perth
Subiaco
4 Melbourne teams :rolleyes:
Why not give Ballarat or Bendigo one of those spots? They'll get behind there team far more than anyone in Melbourne will due to having 9 teams in the AFL

what about this aye?

DIVISION 1
adel coll geel haw port adel power syd
bris ess gws melb rich wb
carl frem gc nm stk wce

DIVISION 2
glenelg subiaco williamstown
port adelaide magpies south frem werribee
sturt claremont port melb
norwood west perth box hill

DIVISION 3
south adel perth casey
woodvil peel thuner northern bullants
central east frem sandri
north adel east perth coburg
west adel swan dist frankston

In theory, this is a great idea, I'm sure many football fans (incl. myself) had similar variations to your idea. But there will be financial issues such as interstate travel/accom for away games and possibly upgrading stadiums and facilities. The other major factor is existing contracts leagues and stadiums. Would they be torn up and reissued?

Potential Teams include:

1. Tasmania
2. Gold Coast
3. Ballarat
4. Newcastle
5. Sunshine Coast
6. Northern Territory
7. Perth
8. West Sydney
9. Bendigo
10. Canberra
11. Townsville
12. Cairns
etc

The exact opposite, IMO.
AFL reserves, and the state leagues go back to being state leagues (changing to actually be statewide and not just capital city where there are big enough centres outside the capital to make it practical). Some, especially the VFA/VFL, would need assistance keeping clubs going partly because they have lost their identity thanks to AFL meddling.

And if this secondary league path was followed, there is no way you would have one team from Tasmania and separate Townsville and Cairns teams. Although a proper statewide Qld comp would include them.

Potential Teams include:

1. Tasmania
2. Gold Coast
3. Ballarat
4. Newcastle
5. Sunshine Coast
6. Northern Territory
7. Perth
8. West Sydney
9. Bendigo
10. Canberra
11. Townsville
12. Cairns
etc

I would support if it included existing WAFL and SANFL clubs and there was annual promotion/relegation to AFL.

South Australia
Norwood
Central District
South Adelaide
West Adelaide

Victoria
Port Melbourne
Sandringham
Coburg
Frankston

Western Australia
East Perth
East Fremantle
West Perth
Subiaco

Including South Fremantle would allow for both WAFL derbies to continue.

In a perfect world, a VFL-SANFL-WAFL merger should have happened in 1987 to form one true national comp.

Would have been a 30 team league divided into 3 promotion/relegation divisions. Expanded to 32 later with Gold Coast and GWS.

No West Coast, Freo or Adelaide though.

I wrote down a plan for a similar three-division national league made up of only existing clubs in a notebook in 1984-85, They should have hired me to set up the national comp although I was only 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back