2nds SANFL wants Port Adelaide, Crows back in the league for 2021 season

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the current day VFL should be ok with it given the precedents there. Currently there is Werribee and Richmond who are the Tigers and wear yellow and black. Previously Werribee and Coburg had these nicknames when Richmond were aligned with Coburg but they wore red and blue. Throw in Sandy who wear yellow and black along with blue as an accent colour and they shouldn’t have as issue with Port wearing the PBs.
The new eastern league will be financed by the AFL. The VFL where Vic AFL teams played before this year is 100% owned by the AFL. The VFL will do what the AFL tell them and the AFL will do what McGuire tells them.

The much-debated presence of the Crows reserves and Port Adelaide (as the Magpies and as one of the league’s founding clubs) in the SANFL appears to await a decision from the AFL and AFL Players Association on player list sizes next season – currently 44 and tipped in some quarters to be cut to 35. While SANFL traditionalists want their competition free of AFL players, the league needs to remain the prime state league in Australia – and not fall in the shadow of an AFL national reserves competition claiming television exposure and offering an alternative to sponsors.

Port Adelaide certainly will push to keep its presence in the SANFL. The Crows will need to for the development of the large crew of draftees being called to West Lakes for the rebuild.

There is no certainty the AFL, with all its debt, will be eager to restore funding levels to the SANFL. More so when the AFL will take the post-COVID era as an opportunity to align every subsidiary league to its agenda. The SANFL’s independence will be tested.

There will be new debt on the SANFL’s books, but – remarkably after all the damage the COVID pandemic has done this season – the red ink will not be as limiting as the $55 million John Olsen was staring at in 2014 when Football Park was decommissioned as an AFL venue. This is a critical legacy.

The much-debated presence of the Crows reserves and Port Adelaide (as the Magpies and as one of the league’s founding clubs) in the SANFL appears to await a decision from the AFL and AFL Players Association on player list sizes next season – currently 44 and tipped in some quarters to be cut to 35. While SANFL traditionalists want their competition free of AFL players, the league needs to remain the prime state league in Australia – and not fall in the shadow of an AFL national reserves competition claiming television exposure and offering an alternative to sponsors.

Port Adelaide certainly will push to keep its presence in the SANFL. The Crows will need to for the development of the large crew of draftees being called to West Lakes for the rebuild.

There is no certainty the AFL, with all its debt, will be eager to restore funding levels to the SANFL. More so when the AFL will take the post-COVID era as an opportunity to align every subsidiary league to its agenda. The SANFL’s independence will be tested.

There will be new debt on the SANFL’s books, but – remarkably after all the damage the COVID pandemic has done this season – the red ink will not be as limiting as the $55 million John Olsen was staring at in 2014 when Football Park was decommissioned as an AFL venue. This is a critical legacy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 2.17.26 pm.jpg

Wishing football clubs to die is just stupid. Sure wish ill on individuals, but clubs are part of the community.

I've listened to too many SANFL people wish the death of my football club to worry too much about this, so i've got it sort of the other way around. I have friends that are genuine supporters of SANFL clubs and would hurt if those clubs died, and I would feel bad for them, but bad for the club in general?

As you say, even if an SANFL club went completely out of business, they'd be relaunched as an ammos club almost immediately.

I've listened to too many SANFL people wish the death of my football club to worry too much about this, so i've got it sort of the other way around. I have friends that are genuine supporters of SANFL clubs and would hurt if those clubs died, and I would feel bad for them, but bad for the club in general?

As you say, even if an SANFL club went completely out of business, they'd be relaunched as an ammos club almost immediately.
They are idiots. Why join them? Be the bigger man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back