Rumour Sanfl wants to dump a team

Remove this Banner Ad

15 years too late you ******* w***ers.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

25 years to late you ******* Moos.

That said, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

If they had done it up front it would have strengthened the power..... but doing it now probably hurts it... so i can see the SANFL logic.

We have high crowds and boost crowds at away games. Won't happen. Only reason would be if part of the license changeover was AFL reserves.

Probably has more to do with the AFL takeover of the Power.

They would have no interest in looking after four SANFL teams as part of an AFL club's operations.

Not sure how happy the SANFL would really be, given the Magpies still have a large supporter base.

TLDR (crappy signature)

shuttleworth didn't even bother to mention it, but guaranteed this is related to the license transfer. neither the SANFL or AFL will want port having anything to do with the SANFL after that happens.

hopefully what it also means is that the AFL is looking to arrange for us to have a reserves team in some other league, be it the VFL, NEAFL, or a national reserves comp

The AFL is taking over the Crows too, Geoffa. Don't forget that.

I think the AFL has said that they're taking the Magpies as the Port Adelaide reserve team and establishing a Crows one for a national reserves competition as part of the license hand back. The SANFL has just tried to make it SOUND like they have made the call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They would have no interest in looking after four SANFL teams as part of an AFL club's operations.

Not sure how happy the SANFL would really be, given the Magpies still have a large supporter base.

LOL. Can't resist a sly troll, can you. Still trying to push the idea that we're two completely seperate clubs. Tell us, who are the "4 clubs" that currently come under our operations? Or are you alluding to the 4 clubs we can potentially draw father/sons from?

And can you explain this "AFL takeover of the Power" thing please?

SANFL League/Reserves/U18s/u16 development squad. These are the four teams that comprise the Magpies under the ONEClub banner. AFL can save $1.3m in running costs straight away by getting rid of them.

The AFL are about to take the AFL licences from the SANFL. That is the takeover. You can gurantee that given your weakened financial position the AFL will not hand the licence back to the club. As is rumoured to be the case of our licence.

Good you can have your pissy league and Wests and Centrals can play easy other every week. Port made it to the big leagues, the rest didn't. If they don't want our shadow looming over them anymore thats fine by me. AFL reserves will do me.

We only stick a team in the SANFL to help the minnows out.

As for handing the license back to the club, I thought the crows were the sanfl, why would you want to break ties, such treachery.

SANFL doesn't give a s**t about supporter bases.

They didn't want the One Port merger to happen.
They put conditions on it that remove any voting rights and ownership of assets.
Now, not even two years in, they move to kick the Magpies out.
Machiavellian much?

Sturt And Norwood Football League.
We exist to be dominated by Woodville-West Torrens and Central Districts.

SANFL League/Reserves/U18s/u16 development squad. These are the four teams that comprise the Magpies under the ONEClub banner. AFL can save $1.3m in running costs straight away by getting rid of them.

The AFL are about to take the AFL licences from the SANFL. That is the takeover. You can gurantee that given your weakened financial position the AFL will not hand the licence back to the club. As is rumoured to be the case of our licence.

imagesCA7F2K8T.jpg

SANFL doesn't give a s**t about supporter bases.

They didn't want the One Port merger to happen.
They put conditions on it that remove any voting rights and ownership of assets.
Now, not even two years in, they move to kick the Magpies out.
Machiavellian much?

Sturt And Norwood Football League.
We exist to be dominated by Woodville-West Torrens and Central Districts.

Maybe the SANFL knew eventually they would give the licence back to the AFL and the AFL would cut the Magpies.

The other SANFL clubs will not be happy to lose Port from their league. The away Magpies crowd put the most coin through their clubs on matchay, than any away crowd. You think the 8 other clubs that make up the SANFL want to see that revenue gone?

Oh well, I will now only go to SANFL games to watch Crows players. Unless we do get our Reserves team in the VFL.

Be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few months. Footy could be very different next year in SA. But the SANFL will still be part of the SMA in 2014 and will still take money from the AFL clubs via the stadium deal.

I guess you guys can still cheer on your "Port Adelaide" AFL branded entity, Port in name, but not in anything else.......

The AFL is taking over the Crows too, Geoffa. Don't forget that.

I think the AFL has said that they're taking the Magpies as the Port Adelaide reserve team and establishing a Crows one for a national reserves competition as part of the license hand back. The SANFL has just tried to make it SOUND like they have made the call.
That would be nice.

Maybe the SANFL knew eventually they would give the licence back to the AFL and the AFL would cut the Magpies.

The other SANFL clubs will not be happy to lose Port from their league. The away Magpies crowd put the most coin through their clubs on matchay, than any away crowd. You think the 8 other clubs that make up the SANFL want to see that revenue gone?

Oh well, I will now only go to SANFL games to watch Crows players. Unless we do get our Reserves team in the VFL.

Be interesting to see how this all pans out over the next few months. Footy could be very different next year in SA. But the SANFL will still be part of the SMA in 2014 and will still take money from the AFL clubs via the stadium deal.

I guess you guys can still cheer on your "Port Adelaide" AFL branded entity, Port in name, but not in anything else.......

Yeah it's not as if it's the same fans, based in Alberton or anything. You bitter little man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back