FTA-TV SAS Australia - "Celebs" MkIII

Remove this Banner Ad

Season 5

Season 5 is set in the Orkney Islands, off the northern coast of Scotland. The weather is exactly what you'd expect - cold, wet and windy - to the extent that several candidates suffer hypothermia, with 2 passing out and collapsing mid-task. This is compounded by having many of the tasks being water based, so the recruits probably spent more time wet & shivering than they did dry.

There aren't a lot of long distance endurance tasks on this season, but plenty of brutal tasks - such as a team log carry up a mountain. Once again, there the fireman's carry is up a steep hill - not around a flat parade square. Once again, the smallest female is expected to carry the heaviest male (roughly double her weight). To her credit, she gets the job done, albeit very slowly - but importantly, she does it without complaining and all the way to completion. While this may seem unfair to her, particularly given that the other female was paired with a lighter male - it really isn't unfair at all, given that she may be asked to do this on the battlefield for real.

This season they took "the mole" concept to the next level, by adding the "the mole" to the DS after the mole's VW.

Once again, there's a Resistance to Interrogation phase near the end of the course. This is the only constant throughout the entire series (neither S4 or S5 had the backwards dive), other than the obligatory beastings/sickeners. The UK version is 5-0 for Interrogation phases, the Australian version is currently 0-3.

Molly Taylor. Taylor went all the way to the final episode last year. She wasn't the biggest, strongest, or fastest, but she hung in there all the way to the end. Si

Molly is kicking on in her chosen sport (rallying) :
"The Dakar Rally is the toughest motorsport event in the world and that challenge really excites me," Taylor said.
Taylor will team up with Dale Moscatt as part of the Can-Am Factory South Racing team, where they'll tackle 13 stages across desert in the Arabian Peninsula, which is almost the size of France.

A rally car gets airborne over a sand dune during a race in Saudi Arabia.

Molly Taylor will be driving with Dale Moscatt for Can-Am Factory South Racing in the Dakar Rally.(Facebook: Can-Am Factory South Racing)
"You're doing thousands and thousands of kilometres in soaring temperatures in the middle of the desert," Taylor explained.

"It's about finding your fighting spirit and embracing the adventure."

The Dakar is one of the biggest tests of physical and mental attrition.

Peak fitness is needed to be able to withstand the temperatures and concentrate for long periods.

According to Taylor, having the right mindset is just as crucial.
"A lot can go wrong. You may need to change punctures or parts on cars in the middle of the desert.

"Everything gets thrown at you and you need to do whatever it takes to make it to the end."

Molly is kicking on in her chosen sport (rallying) :
"The Dakar Rally is the toughest motorsport event in the world and that challenge really excites me," Taylor said.
Taylor will team up with Dale Moscatt as part of the Can-Am Factory South Racing team, where they'll tackle 13 stages across desert in the Arabian Peninsula, which is almost the size of France.

A rally car gets airborne over a sand dune during a race in Saudi Arabia.

Molly Taylor will be driving with Dale Moscatt for Can-Am Factory South Racing in the Dakar Rally.(Facebook: Can-Am Factory South Racing)
"You're doing thousands and thousands of kilometres in soaring temperatures in the middle of the desert," Taylor explained.

"It's about finding your fighting spirit and embracing the adventure."

The Dakar is one of the biggest tests of physical and mental attrition.

Peak fitness is needed to be able to withstand the temperatures and concentrate for long periods.

According to Taylor, having the right mindset is just as crucial.
"A lot can go wrong. You may need to change punctures or parts on cars in the middle of the desert.

The (increasingly inaccurately named) Dakar starts this weekend, with daily highlights on SBS at 5pm from Sunday.

The (increasingly inaccurately named) Dakar starts this weekend, with daily highlights on SBS at 5pm from Sunday.

& Molly Taylor is up to the competition:

Competing in the SSV class with fellow Australian Dale Moscatt as co-driver, she set the 10th-quickest time on Stage 3, a 255km special around Al Qaisumah.

The performance saw Taylor up another two positions to eighth overall in her Can-Am Factory South Racing entry, but it could have been so much better.

“But, [we] had to do a few driveshaft changes on the side of the road on the liaison and eventually drive back with three driveshafts because then we ran out of driveshafts, so we’re a little bit later than we planned.

“But, all in all, a bit of a bittersweet day, I think. The day started off really, really well; we were running in the top five up to the 170km mark, a lot of sand dunes, really fun stage…

:thumbsu: Molly.

So, SAS Australia (Celebrity ?? Edition) is back again, gracing our screens on Mon-Wed nights. Ant Middleton has a new team, with most of them having abandoned him after he was sacked by the British TV network. Gone are the Blue Mountains settings, and the power station which has since been imploded - their new home is an abandoned coal mine somewhere in the ulu behind Wollongong (near Dapto), with the occasional foray to the Royal National Park. It's still Sydney Sandstone terrain though.

Thoughts on the first episode...
  • Wayne Carey has had waaaaay too much botox, and his face looks completely weird & unnatural.
  • Simone Holtznagel is a Princess, who has led a ridiculously sheltered life. She won't last long.
  • Melissa Tkautz is exactly what you'd expect, a former soap star who is now 25 years past her prime, and nowhere near the peak of fitness. Will likely be the first to go, but full credit to her for surviving the first 24 hours and not throwing in the towel (like Brynne Edelsten).
  • Locky Gilbert - vapid fame whore, who was pegged instantly by Ant for what he is.
  • Ebanie Bridges - I'd never heard of her before last night, but for me she's the early star of the show. Good strong character, supportive of her team members, and unlike some previous "duty recruits" she manages to get the instructions right when relaying them to the other recruits.
  • Millie Boyle - I'd never heard of her before, and she failed in the most unimpressive way in the aircraft escape challenge. I expected more of a sports star at the peak of her powers, not the massive panic she displayed.
  • Geoff Huegil - Has certainly packed on the kilos since retirement, and I believe he lost quite a few in preparation for the show. Still appears strong, both mentally and physically.
  • Michelle Wu - Surprisingly incompetent underwater, given her record in aquatics. Otherwise anonymous.
  • Paul Fenech - Likeable and competent, based on what we've seen so far. Could be a dark horse to fill the Merrick Watts role, as the non-athlete who goes all the way to the finish.
  • Richard Buttrose - Can go back to prison and rot there for the rest of his life, as far as I'm concerned.
Most of the others were completely anonymous (or close to it) in the first episode. I can't even remember Riana Crehan being name checked. At least the others all got their names printed on the screen at one point or another, she didn't even rate that highly.

As for the challenges...
  • Man on Fire was psychologically much scarier than it really is. A bit of creative TV production going on here, with Huegil being picked out for a lack of eye contact (Ant subsequently noted that he wasn't the only one), while Locky Gilbert's dive into the water went completely uncommented - despite the clear instructions to wade in to their waists, before submerging.
  • Aircraft Escape - A buddy version of the Land Rover escape from last season. Unlike Man on Fire, this one is actually dangerous, with one of the girls needing diver assistance to get out and survive.
It's a pity they've filled this season with so many fame whores, with no true celebrity qualification. My early favourites are Paul Fenech & Ebanie Bridges. I hope both of them go a long way in the series.

So, SAS Australia (Celebrity ?? Edition) is back again, gracing our screens on Mon-Wed nights. Ant Middleton has a new team, with most of them having abandoned him after he was sacked by the British TV network. Gone are the Blue Mountains settings, and the power station which has since been imploded - their new home is an abandoned coal mine somewhere in the ulu behind Wollongong (near Dapto), with the occasional foray to the Royal National Park. It's still Sydney Sandstone terrain though.

• Wayne Carey has had waaaaay too much botox, and his face looks completely weird & unnatural.
  • Simone Holtznagel is a Princess, who has led a ridiculously sheltered life. She won't last long.
  • Melissa Tkautz is exactly what you'd expect, a former soap star who is now 25 years past her prime, and nowhere near the peak of fitness. Will likely be the first to go, but full credit to her for surviving the first 24 hours and not throwing in the towel (like Brynne Edelsten).
  • Locky Gilbert - vapid fame whore, who was pegged instantly by Ant for what he is.
  • Ebanie Bridges - I'd never heard of her before last night, but for me she's the early star of the show. Good strong character, supportive of her team members, and unlike some previous "duty recruits" she manages to get the instructions right when relaying them to the other recruits.
  • Millie Boyle - I'd never heard of her before, and she failed in the most unimpressive way in the aircraft escape challenge. I expected more of a sports star at the peak of her powers, not the massive panic she displayed.
  • Geoff Huegil - Has certainly packed on the kilos since retirement, and I believe he lost quite a few in preparation for the show. Still appears strong, both mentally and physically.
  • Michelle Wu - Surprisingly incompetent underwater, given her record in aquatics. Otherwise anonymous.
  • Paul Fenech - Likeable and competent, based on what we've seen so far. Could be a dark horse to fill the Merrick Watts role, as the non-athlete who goes all the way to the finish.
  • Richard Buttrose - Can go back to prison and rot there for the rest of his life, as far as I'm concerned.
Most of the others were completely anonymous (or close to it) in the first episode. I can't even remember Riana Crehan being name checked. At least the others all got their names printed on the screen at one point or another, she didn't even rate that highly.

As for the challenges...
  • Man on Fire was psychologically much scarier than it really is. A bit of creative TV production going on here, with Huegil being picked out for a lack of eye contact (Ant subsequently noted that he wasn't the only one), while Locky Gilbert's dive into the water went completely uncommented - despite the clear instructions to wade in to their waists, before submerging.
  • Aircraft Escape - A buddy version of the Land Rover escape from last season. Unlike Man on Fire, this one is actually dangerous, with one of the girls needing diver assistance to get out and survive.
It's a pity they've filled this season with so many fame whores, with no true celebrity qualification. My early favourites are Paul Fenech & Ebanie Bridges. I hope both of them go a long way in the series.
I spotted the bolded as well. Couldnt believe that went unpunished given the clear instructions not to dive and break your neck.

FWIW i actually think Locky seems alright, hes a fame whore and a flog but hes at least aware of those things himself, plus his "day job" is running adventure holidays so this is so far in his wheelhouse its not funny.

The first time you see Melissa Tkautz on there and you wonder why she would have all that work done to her face.

You then hear her at the end talking to instructors and when she explains she has never loved herself or been happy with herself it all makes sense.

The first time you see Melissa Tkautz on there and you wonder why she would have all that work done to her face.

You then hear her at the end talking to instructors and when she explains she has never loved herself or been happy with herself it all makes sense.
Which then begs the question, why did Wayne Carey choose to have his face so brutally butchered?

Both are a strong advertisement for NOT having plastic surgery. This is what happens when it goes wrong. Be warned people!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Simone Holtznagel is a Princess, who has led a ridiculously sheltered life. She won't last long
FWIW she also popped up on an episode of First Dates a couple years back. She came across as a totally conceited bitch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back