Game Day Sat May 1 : Collingwood (17th) vs Gold Coast Suns (11th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Collingwood (17th) vs Gold Coast Suns (11th)

MCG - 1:45pm

Collingwood have always had the ‘Backs to the Wall’ scenario down pat. To a simple formula, we seem to lose the unloseable match, then bounce back in unlikely scenarios the following week in a proud display of ‘Backs to the Wall’ side-by-side spirit.

But what if the wall has vanished, and instead of backs-to-the-wall spirit we simply fell off a ledge and fell to… who knows how deep?

Well that would be this weekend. The Mighty Magpies have demonstrated a complete lack of spirit, and we don’t know where this dive will stop. Today? Next week against the undermanned squad of Kangaroos? Or will we continue to scream wordlessly until we hit the bottom all the way to Round 22?

Despite the fact we have a new President and a lot of new faces in the squad, this situation is not new to anyone (like my old grizzled self) who have watched the fall and rise of our fortunes across the years.

Pies fans - hold steady. Today may not be the win, next week may not be. But we’ll eventually ensure we win enough to ensure we don’t get any high draft picks. Sit back and enjoy the messy horror that will be Saturday afternoon footy.

Last time we played

“Pies stare down Suns to lock up finals berth” - Round 17, 2020
  • DeGoey returns from injury(!) kicking 4 goals
  • Sexton kicked 3, but stoppages and pressure arrested momentum
  • Crisp, IQ and Noble provided excellent run from half-back
Pies 68 defeated Suns 46

Head to Head

Played: 10
Won: 8
Lost: 2 (not since 2014)
Draws: Zilch

Form

Collingwood: W L L L L
2021 is a team adrift, trying to find any semblance of working together

Gold Coast Suns: W L L L W
2021 is patchy and brilliant in parts but never consistent

Matchups

Oh god who cares. Just beat them.

Tip

Our fresh-faced squad is mercifully too young and dumb to know when they should lose. Pies by 17. Poulter to snag a goal on the run.

Gameday Playlist

In honour of the wonderful work by manicmagpie in the West Coast Game Day, I would like to explore today’s task ahead with a musical tribute to the individual battles that lay ahead.

Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden)

‘Hang my head, Drown my fear, Till you all just disappear’. The Suns’ backline will be all craving a spot to hide on the bench when DeGoey goes forward and brings the wrath of 12 days idle after being denied a proper run. We’re looking at an 8 goal haul in Q2.

When the Sun goes down (Arctic Monkeys)

"E's a scumbag don't you know?" Touk Miller to be blanketed by the Mayne Man. He will get some touches, but nowhere near his bag of 36. Watch the confidence sap as he gets tackled like a 2am kebab from Lamb on Chapel.

Sun King (The Beatles)

The lyrics to this old tune are nonsense - “Cuando para mucho mi amore de felice corazón”. Means nothing. Neither does Max King’s current form. Roughie to blanket him and nullify his influence.

Waiting for the Sun (The Finger or The Doors if yer over 60)

Will Hugh Greenwood manage to get a DE of better than 48%? Will the Suns actually manage a centre clearance? If there's no crowd to watch a Suns goal did it actually fall in the forest?

Invisible Sun (The Police)

Izak Rankine to be ‘IQ’d and kept right out of the game.

Any others to add to the list? Please list 'em.

(Postscript)
And for lawd's sake please go to the ground and barrack loudly. I can't - me and my gorgeous life partner had some s**t news on Friday. She has to go to hospital on Saturday and footy or no footy I am not going to be able to enjoy anything. So I need you guys to enjoy it for me. Forza!

Thanks to The Sherriff

Whatever the Pies can do tomorrow, I hope everything works out okay for you guys at the hospital.

Fantastic write-up.

Edit: I forget that everyone waits upon my tip...Pies by 37.

We've enjoyed the best pre-game write-ups this year, thank you The Sherriff .

Wishing you and your partner the best of outcomes.

This might seem unfashionable but I'm at peace with where Collingwood is at right now. I'd love to see a spirited performance from the club I support; signs that we can turn the sh*tness that ails us around.

The team will be inspired by IQ's new hair colour. Mayne to finish with 34 touches and -20 metres gained.

Pies in a tight one by 43 points.

P.S: If all else fails just throw a few meat pies to Stewart Dew, that should distract him enough to take his mind off the game.

Last edited:
TS thanks and best wishes for the hospital visit for both you and your partner.

Hoping for a win of any size really but pleased to see the youngsters starting to get their chances. Hoping they have good positive experiences and start to learn the perquisites for playing footy at the top level.

These game day write ups are a bright light in a gloomy season. Great initiative by the mods, albeit forced on us (a bit like playing the kids, we’re unearthing some gems:p)

Thanks The Sherriff, and hope all goes well for you and your partner.

And thanks for leaving this out of the playlist:

I have 4 seats for today’s game, level 2 in the Southern Stand, row B. I can’t use them, happy to send them or some of them to anyone who wants them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twenty years ago, I attended a four-day buck's party on the Gold Coast

The marriage didn't last but memories of the debacle live on

Night three was frightening - a groomsman decided to make a move on the girlfriend of a local gangsta in some nightclub

We were outnumbered, unmotivated, and less skilled to engage in ultra-violence than the bangas

A phalanx formed and we exited from dance floor to street under a rain of mostly superficial blows

Fortunately, the presence of constables and an abundance of taxis completed our escape

Is this a metaphor?

No

I just don't know what the f*ck to write about Collingwood this week

McCreery continues to bring me joy, he moves like my old mongrel dog in his prime, hungry and agile

I will watch the game in a ponderous state

Collingwood by 64 points

PS Great OP

Last edited:
I can’t believe I have my Chartered Accounting presentation during 1:45 - 2:45 today.

First Melbourne game I’ve missed in years.

So disappointed I can’t see my boy Poulter debut 😭😭

Hopefully your presentation is to the Collingwood footy dept.

Start them off with column addition... before you introduce them to the idea of using a spread sheet to manage the salary cap.

I can’t believe I have my Chartered Accounting presentation during 1:45 - 2:45 today.

First Melbourne game I’ve missed in years.

So disappointed I can’t see my boy Poulter debut 😭😭

Don't worry re.. I'll be there for you.. these 5 words I swear to you.. when you breath.. I wanna be the air for you.. I'll be there for you.

Hopefully your presentation is to the Collingwood footy dept.

Start them off with column addition... before you introduce them to the idea of using a spread sheet to manage the salary cap.

Hahahah!

“This is how you use an abacus to calculate the salaries of our players.”

“Do not trade out Rising stars.”

“When you trade out your first round pick, please try and not finish in the bottom 5.”

Another great write up, thanks The Sherriff.

Hope all goes well for your partner today although not a loud person at the footy, I will try and get excited just for you.

I am loving the variety our posters are presenting in our previews, big thank you to all that have volunteered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back